Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2013, 11:58 AM

9,238 posts, read 22,897,313 times

Advertisements

I don't really "hang out" with people, intelligent or otherwise. But like many people, I have little choice in the people I am realted to, work with, live near, or encounter in public. I didn't want to give the impression that I am "hanging out" with illiterate dolts. I just run into them from time to time. Plus, even people who are reasonably intelligent and educated seem to value reading less and less. For example, the young lady who thought people would "feel sorry for" her if she were seen reading in public had a Master's degree.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2013, 12:08 PM

6,126 posts, read 10,107,581 times
Some people definitely see reading as a negative. I actually feel snobbish towards people who don't read. I can't imagine a world without books! I can't wait to get off work tonight and go home and snuggle up with my pup and a book! What could be better? Some people would rather zone out to Jersey Shore than read a book and that's just sad. I realize not everyone wants to read as much as I do, but some people can't even be bothered to read the news.

Old 01-08-2013, 06:55 PM

48,522 posts, read 34,843,322 times
No one has ever given me a hard time, or if they did, it mattered so little that and I didn't take note of their opinion.

Old 01-09-2013, 07:24 AM

37,802 posts, read 41,008,695 times
No one has ever given me a hard time about reading but then again, I probably wouldn't care if they did.

I thought we were the ones that looked down on them.

Old 01-09-2013, 08:51 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,707,497 times
No one has ever given me a hard time about it, but I've definitely encountered people who didn't "get it." Their eyes sort of glaze over when you start talking enthusiastically about a particular book. OTOH, it's always great to find someone whose eyes light up when talking about a book. It's like you're in a secret club.

Old 01-11-2013, 01:36 PM

289 posts, read 569,933 times
Nope. Quite the opposite actually. Normally people find out that I love to read say "Really? You like to read?", like they're schocked at the fact. Growing up I didn't start to enjoy reading until about the 6th grade & then it took off & has never looked back. My teacher told my mom one time that she was the only parent she'd ever had that would threaten to take away a book as a form of punishment. I also had childhood friends who loved reading. I also had some who only read when it was required by the teacher. To this day though I ALWAYS have a book with me. I have one book in each of my 3 cars. And if not there then I've usually got my nook & a book in my purse & I always have my iphone with my nook, kindle, & ibooks apps. And I couldn't care less what people think about it.

Old 01-11-2013, 02:14 PM

9,238 posts, read 22,897,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerafaith View Post
Normally people find out that I love to read say "Really? You like to read?", like they're shocked at the fact.
I have trouble understanding that too. Why is reading so "shocking" to people?

So we can include in this thread:

People who think reading is uncool
People who think reading is boring/not enjoyable, and are shocked when they hear we LOVE it.
People who think being seen reading is a cause for embarassment
People who see reading as a activity that makes them pity/feel sorry for the person who is reading

Old 01-12-2013, 01:15 PM

2,963 posts, read 5,451,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
I think my coworker who didn't want people to think she was reading was not (God, I hope not) so concerned about reading not being "cool." But I got the impression from her that she believed people would "feel sorry for" her, to see her reading, when she could instead be socializing, in person or electronically. She definitely talked about the idea of "feeling sorry" for someone who is seen reading, like the poor thing has nothing better to do.
I just don't understand the idea that some people see reading as so unenjoyable, so non-valuable, that they would pity a person who is reading, or worry about others pitying them if they were reading.

There may have been a little of the idea that reading was "uncool" but this person seemed more focused on the pity thing.
This is part and parcel of the eating alone issue, particularly for females. In public it has a cast of solitude, not necessarily loneliness but in her case that's the effect. I'd say it's youth but older women can feel that way too. Instead of a book you could suggest to her a newspaper or a weekly. That looks more like a person open to engagement, and maybe this is what she wants to project. Thing is, most people read news online these days so she'd actually look "hip" with a real paper in front of her!

I never cared. No one's ever given me a hard time either, any more than I'd give them a joking hard time about their pursuits, like clothes or The Voice or beanie babies. So if they did it's all fair.

Old 01-12-2013, 01:48 PM

5,252 posts, read 4,675,878 times
Reading in America is close to it's demise. Many people over the last thirty years have told me that they "just don't have time to read", but then go on to speak of something they saw on TV or their computer. Others say they "read too much in College", I guess we are to assume that they now know most of everything so reading would be a futile task anyway. Myself? I've been a lifelong (67) reader, and wouldn't have it replaced by Kindles or my computer anytime soon. Books have a certain magic to them, cheap (used) and always easily referenced after they're read. I've been thought of as a "bookish" person by most who know me, and most of them don't read much, so, I doubt if they see any value in what I pursue through books.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books