Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2008, 02:14 PM

3,018 posts, read 3,566,216 times

Advertisements

I was feeling so lazy about perusing the internet excessively...then I started to think: You know I'm reading and I'm writing!

Is being in front of the computer all day really all that much worse than having my nose in a book all day?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2008, 09:26 PM

6,712 posts, read 13,458,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brubaker View Post
I was feeling so lazy about perusing the internet excessively...then I started to think: You know I'm reading and I'm writing!

Is being in front of the computer all day really all that much worse than having my nose in a book all day?

You know... I've thought about that recently as well. Something this forum has given me is the chance to research numerous things on the internet. What I've found is that if I really enjoy a topic of discussion, I'll do a lot of research on it via the internet and then I'll usually end up buying books on it to learn more about it. I've found it to be a fantastic dual approach to learning.

Old 02-09-2008, 12:02 AM

428 posts, read 2,440,060 times
If I had to rely on books to get the information that I need and don't need day in and day out....let's just say that would get very expensive.

Old 02-11-2008, 10:40 AM

13,608 posts, read 5,386,066 times
I don't think that being on the computer the whole day is bad.
It always depends on what you're doing. You can do a lot of research and meet great people to chat and discuss with. So why should that be worse than ready one love story after the other?

I love reading and I prefer it. Reading takes me away in such different worlds while the internet is just another thing to keep my mind occupied. It's my sort of playing so I'm mostly at CD.

Old 02-11-2008, 10:48 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,625,061 times
The internet is a wonderful tool and brings an amazing world of facts ( and fiction) to our lives. However IMO nothing beats reading a book. I use computers for research but reading for pleasure to me involves a book not a screen.

The medium does not in my opinion allow the same level of escapism, is not "physically"as comfortable and to me does not allow the same level of concentration.

I guess it's up to you . whatever you find comfortable. The idea of reading a proper book online really does not appeal to me.

I love the feel and smell of books, the noise of the page, the fact that it is me and only me who is involved. To me it's more of a symbiotic relationship than having to read online but whatever rocks your boat as they say !

Old 02-13-2008, 01:28 PM

8,672 posts, read 22,267,022 times
I don't think it's any worse intellectually, but I don't think computers will ever replace books! I like to get comfortable on my couch with a good book-hard to do with a computer, even a laptop!

Old 01-11-2013, 08:24 AM

43,657 posts, read 44,375,612 times
One can also read on the internet!

Old 01-12-2013, 02:57 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,670,889 times
I've been feeling guilty too. I read a lot on CD and often it takes me away to look something up on the internet. Then I read on the internet. I feel like I SHOULD be reading an actual book though, even a kindle book.

Which brings me around to another guilty feeling. Someone gave me a kindle but I can't find anything to read on it. A long time ago I gave up buying books (except for special non fiction reference books) because of the expense, the space they take up, and the knowledge that they are FREE in the library. With the kindle, I have to go back to buying books again. Either that or I can get them from a library but it seems to take a long time for books to come out in e-book version.

So now I feel guilty for having a kindle.

Old 01-12-2013, 04:16 PM

6,489 posts, read 8,812,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
I've been feeling guilty too. I read a lot on CD and often it takes me away to look something up on the internet. Then I read on the internet. I feel like I SHOULD be reading an actual book though, even a kindle book.

Which brings me around to another guilty feeling. Someone gave me a kindle but I can't find anything to read on it. A long time ago I gave up buying books (except for special non fiction reference books) because of the expense, the space they take up, and the knowledge that they are FREE in the library. With the kindle, I have to go back to buying books again. Either that or I can get them from a library but it seems to take a long time for books to come out in e-book version.

So now I feel guilty for having a kindle.
There are plenty of FREE books for your Kindle. You can subscribe to a daily, weekly, or monthly email from eReaderIQ.com with list of free or low cost Kindle books. I very rarely pay for Kindle content. I find something in the email I mentioned or I borrow the Kindle version from my local library.

eReaderIQ.com | The Easier, Faster, Smarter Way to Kindle!

Old 01-12-2013, 07:54 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,670,889 times
Thank you. I think that's the same thing as the free kindle books on Amazon, isn't it? I can never find anything interesting but I guess I'm fussy. I'll have another look.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books