Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2013, 09:58 AM

995 posts, read 1,112,368 times

Advertisements

Everyone else recommended most of my favorites lol.

If you can find them, an author who isn't writing any longer that I liked very much is Karen Kijewski. Her Kat series was very good. I think you can find used copies online, the first ones are Kat's Cradle and Copy Kat.

I also loved Julie Smith's Skip Langdon series, which is based in New Orleans. She's got 2 other detective series, but the Skip Langdons are my favorites.

Linda Barnes has 2 series, featuring Michael Spraggue and Carlotta Carlyle. Loved them all.

Someone else recommended Margaret Maron. While her Deborah Knott series is very good, I also liked the older Sigrid Harald books a lot.

There...my backlist of book suggestions is now running dry. Have fun!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2013, 10:09 AM

10,039 posts, read 17,998,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnneWest View Post
Everyone else recommended most of my favorites lol.

If you can find them, an author who isn't writing any longer that I liked very much is Karen Kijewski. Her Kat series was very good. I think you can find used copies online, the first ones are Kat's Cradle and Copy Kat.

I also loved Julie Smith's Skip Langdon series, which is based in New Orleans. She's got 2 other detective series, but the Skip Langdons are my favorites.

Linda Barnes has 2 series, featuring Michael Spraggue and Carlotta Carlyle. Loved them all.

Someone else recommended Margaret Maron. While her Deborah Knott series is very good, I also liked the older Sigrid Harald books a lot.

There...my backlist of book suggestions is now running dry. Have fun!
AnneWest, we like a lot of the same books! I own those ones by Karen Kijewski that you mentioned (old book-club hardcovers) as well as Linda Barnes' Carlotta Carlyle books (love those -- the last time I checked, not all were available on Kindle -- it makes me crazy when only a few of the books in a series are available, especially when they're in random order, e.g. book #1 not, #2 and #3 are, #4 not, etc. -- aaaggggh!!).

Will look into Julie Smith's -- thanks!

Old 02-07-2013, 10:48 AM

16,408 posts, read 33,242,509 times
Default Two I forgot!

As I was walking to the train, I remembered my "commute reading" book I had in my bag ... and I think you'll like her!

Chelsea Cain -- another one that's kind of a newbie to series writing. Her series stars 3 characters, Archie Sheridan (cop), Susan Ward (reporter) and Gretchen Lowell (serial killer). Gretchen Lowell is a chilling, wicked, and beautiful serial killer who almost killed Archie. Hannibal Lecter has nothing on her! Reading the descriptions of her crimes make me Chelsea Cain also makes good use of the internet. Who else has a fictional serial killer with their own fan webpage? I Heart Gretchen Lowell

Marcus Sakey -- not series-driven, but a very solid crime writer. His books have very interesting ethical dilemmas and you can easily put yourself in the main character's situation and think "what would I do?" He's kind of a newbie too. I actually found out about him on TV. He hosted a TV series on the Travel Channel called "Hidden City" (where he would travel to different places and explore the iconic crimes, legends, local color, etc.) and he mentioned he was a crime writer. So I tried a book of his ... and then read them all.

Old 02-07-2013, 11:16 AM

48,505 posts, read 96,682,701 times
I would recommend Dorthy Sayers as mystery writer if you like British type mysteries.They should be available in your local library. The Nine Taylors is a good start to see if you'll like her.

Old 02-07-2013, 11:26 AM

4,306 posts, read 13,449,446 times
Have you tried Carol O'Connell's Mallory series? Starting with Mallory's Oracle they are a series of novels featuring NYPD detective Kathleen Mallory, adopted daughter of another NYPD detective. Mallory is a damaged young woman with definite sociopathic tendencies and a computer genius. The books are not easy reading but Mallory and her amazingly loyal friends and coworkers make the stories truly riveting.

Old 02-07-2013, 12:53 PM

10,039 posts, read 17,998,470 times
Just wanted to say thanks for all the additional posts -- I am very excited to have so many new authors to check out!

I will rep all that I haven't already!

Old 02-07-2013, 01:34 PM

11,412 posts, read 7,769,043 times
Check out Tana French's Dublin Murder Squad series. 4 books in all, first one is "In the Woods". While all involve a murder to be solved, they also feature an unresolved issue in the past of the detective on the case. All are good reads.

Also, William Landay. You may have read "Defending Jacob", but should also try out "Mission Flats".

Old 02-07-2013, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
Just wanted to say thanks for all the additional posts -- I am very excited to have so many new authors to check out!

I will rep all that I haven't already!
Let us know what you read and what you think of it! These days, with less and less people reading, it's sometimes hard to find people to talk books with!

Old 02-07-2013, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chilaili View Post
Have you tried Carol O'Connell's Mallory series? Starting with Mallory's Oracle they are a series of novels featuring NYPD detective Kathleen Mallory, adopted daughter of another NYPD detective. Mallory is a damaged young woman with definite sociopathic tendencies and a computer genius. The books are not easy reading but Mallory and her amazingly loyal friends and coworkers make the stories truly riveting.
Regarding what you wrote ("the books are not easy reading"), can you please share your thoughts about this?

I actually got Mallory's Oracle and I don't think I finished it. It was a long time ago and I can't remember exactly why. I have never read any of the author's other books either. But I'm thinking maybe I should try again. I had the same thing happen with two of my favorite authors, Michael Connelly and George Pelecanos. The first Connelly book I got ("Concrete Blonde") I started, did not finish. A couple of years later, I picked up the book again and was hooked ... I've now read all his books. The first Pelecanos book I got ("Hell to Pay"), I started and did not finish, due to how bleak and violent the world he was writing about was. Again, I later read the book ... and read all of Pelecanos' books.

Old 02-07-2013, 02:12 PM

4,306 posts, read 13,449,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
Regarding what you wrote ("the books are not easy reading"), can you please share your thoughts about this?

I actually got Mallory's Oracle and I don't think I finished it. It was a long time ago and I can't remember exactly why. I have never read any of the author's other books either. But I'm thinking maybe I should try again. I had the same thing happen with two of my favorite authors, Michael Connelly and George Pelecanos. The first Connelly book I got ("Concrete Blonde") I started, did not finish. A couple of years later, I picked up the book again and was hooked ... I've now read all his books. The first Pelecanos book I got ("Hell to Pay"), I started and did not finish, due to how bleak and violent the world he was writing about was. Again, I later read the book ... and read all of Pelecanos' books.
John Connolly (what is it with that last name?) is another one I'd recommend altho, again, his books are not for the faint-hearted. They are kind of murder mysteries altho in most of them you know fairly quickly who the bad guy is and then it's a story of the good guys vs the evil. There is also a strong supernatural element to many of his books. The first one is Every Dead Thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books