U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2013, 02:28 PM

8,021 posts, read 14,003,640 times

Advertisements

I read a ton of heavy academic stuff for my job, so for fun, my favorite books are mystery/thrillers. I actually panic when I see that I am near the end of my current book and I don't already have something else to start immediately after (I am sure many of you can relate!).

I would like to find several new authors, especially of mystery/thrillers. I have a lot of favorite authors -- if you're familiar with them, you will have a good idea of who else I might like. I also have some that I used to avidly read but have given up on, alas.

Authors I have loved from the start and (mostly) still do, in no particular order: John Sandford (Lucas Davenport series); Sue Grafton (alphabet series, A Is for Alibi, etc. -- I am bummed that she is near the end of the alphabet!); Jonathan Kellerman (Alex Delaware series); Faye Kellerman (Decker/Lazarus series, although there have been a couple I haven't liked much); Robert B. Parker (all his series especially Spenser); Lee Child (Jack Reacher series although I gagged when Tom Cruise bought the rights to the novels so he could play Reacher); Marcia Muller (Sharon McCone series); Lawrence Block (all of his series although Matt Scudder is my favorite by far); Michael Connelly (Harry Bosch series); Patricia Cornwell (Scarpetta series -- still love it although I know many think she's gone downhill); Kathy Reichs (Temperance Brennan series); Jeffery Deaver (Lincoln Rhyme series); Sara Paretsky (V. I. Warshawski series); -- well, hopefully this is enough to give you an idea!

Authors I used to like but don't any more: James Patterson (Alex Cross series -- LOVED the early ones but the more recent ones are God-awful with gigantic plot holes that make me crazy); Janet Evanovich (Stephanie Plum series -- thought the first one or two were OK, then I started to wonder why Stephanie had to be such an idiot so often).

Authors I recently tried, wanted to like, but didn't much: J. T. Ellison (Taylor Jackson -- just read the first in the series and figured out who the villain was almost as soon as he was mentioned -- I HATE it when that happens -- maybe her later ones get better?); Karen Rose (not sure if hers are series -- I wanted to like the ones I read as they had great reviews on amazon, but to me it seemed like she wrote like a romance novelist and I don't like romance novels).

I would love to find new authors and hope to see some recommendations! Reps to all!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2013, 02:42 PM

11,421 posts, read 10,446,911 times
I don't read mysteries, but if I did, I'd probably try, Hammett, Cain, Chandler, Tey, Rendell - and because I like older books, Wilkie Collins.

Check these out:

The 100 best mystery novels of all time | MetaFilter

The Best Mystery Authors and Writers

Old 02-06-2013, 02:55 PM

Alas, I don't much like older books unless I am doing historical research, which feels like work (and I love my job, BUT that reading material is not what I want to peruse for fun).

The list was interesting although some items were puzzling (e.g., The Godfather isn't a mystery novel!). The other list gave me lots of new names that I will check out, thanks!

Old 02-06-2013, 03:56 PM

6,413 posts, read 10,865,325 times
Ooh. I used to haunt the "Women Writers" in my local mystery bookstore, so most of my favorites are women authors:

J. A. Jance
Margaret Maron
Jill Churchill
Susan Wittig Albert
Joan Hess
Mary Freeman
Judith VanGieson
Mary Daheim
Nancy P ickard [sorry for the spacing, but CD wouldn't accept her surname!]
Rhys Bowen
Barbara Neely
Laurie King
Dana Stabenow
Val McDermid
Jo Dereske
Laura Lippman
Earlene Fowler

James Lee Burke

Old 02-06-2013, 04:03 PM

20,544 posts, read 27,460,932 times
Try

Robert Crais
Phillip Margolin
James Grippando

Old 02-06-2013, 05:07 PM

3,513 posts, read 5,540,793 times
Stephen White - 19 books so far and the 20th will be the last featuring Boulder psychologist Alan Gregory and his DA wife Lauren.

John Dunning - A Denver bookseller is the recurring character.

You didn't mention either David Baldacci or John Grisham but those two are both authors that I enjoy.

Nevada Barr - Her main character is Anna Pidgeon, a national park ranger.

Steve Martini - featuring attorney Paul Madriani

Linda Fairstein - featuring NYC ADA Alexandra Cooper.

Lisa Scottoline

John Lescroat

Elizabeth George - The Inspector Lindley mysteries, set in Great Britian.

If you like dogs then mysteries by Susan Conant, David Rosenfelt and Spencer Quinn might also be up your alley.

I hope you find a few new authors that you like.

Last edited by zugor; 02-06-2013 at 05:30 PM..

Old 02-06-2013, 05:33 PM

16,408 posts, read 30,102,780 times
I like the same type of books you do and I also read some of the same authors you mentioned. Here are my picks:

Jo Nesbo/Harry Hole series: Jo Nesbo is a Norwegian author. FANTASTIC! One of the best!

George Pelecanos: He has some series books, like those starring Derek Strange and Terry Quinn. Others are standalones; and others have characters that intercross books. He is another great writer like Jo Nesbo. His crime fiction is of a literary fiction standard (don't let that scare you though).

Douglas Preston/Lincoln Child: You have to read their series starring Special Agent Aloysius Pendergast!

Ridley Pearson: Has a great series starring Lou Boldt and other recurring characters.

Robert K. Tanenbaum: Another great series starring Butch Karp and Marlene Ciampi.

Tess Gerritsen: Yet another great series starring Jane Rizzoli & Maura Isles. (This duo also has a TV series now on network cable.)

Laura Lippman: Yet another great series starring Tess Monaghan.

Edna Buchanan: She used to be a Miami police beat writer. I enjoyed her series starring Britt Montero.

Theresa Schwegel: Kind of a newbie, but very strong writing. Not series driven.

Kelli Stanley: Another newbie. She writes two series, both historical crime fiction. One in the 50s or 40s San Francisco Chinatown. Another in UK ... London(ium) and Bath in the Roman Times.

Taylor Stevens: My favorite newbie. I love her series starring Vanessa Munroe.

Lisa Jackson: Series with Detectives Rick Bentz and Reuben Montoya. But beware she is kind of a romance type novelist. I usually don't like those either, but I make an exception for her.

Erica Spindler: A little romancey too, but has a good series with Stacy Killian and Spencer Malone.

Last edited by I_Love_LI_but; 02-06-2013 at 05:46 PM..

Old 02-06-2013, 06:20 PM

Thanks so much for all the recommendations -- this should keep me reading for awhile, although any other suggestions would be very welcome!

I have rep'd everyone -- thanks so much!

-karen

Old 02-06-2013, 10:53 PM

4,585 posts, read 11,333,919 times
If you like Marcia Muller you love Margaret Coel and her Wind River series also I might suggest Rita Mae Brown both her Sister series and her Sneaky Pie series both of them take place in and around Virginia.

Old 02-07-2013, 09:11 AM

6,824 posts, read 2,325,490 times
Try C.J. Lyons
Jack Kerley (also writes under J.A. Kerley)
Mark Gimenez
Meg Gardiner
John Gilstrap
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or