U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2007, 01:55 PM

10,194 posts, read 25,352,453 times

Advertisements

Perhaps you might want to start a thread with your likes, and folks could make some similar suggestions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2010, 11:17 PM

6 posts, read 6,560 times
A question: Are you reading for pure entertainment value, to occupy time or to expand your personal horizon? Perhaps it is time to step out of your comfortable box and expand your horizons. The old saying 'Never judge a book by its' cover' comes to mind. I've expanded my literary interest in reading authors, rather than choosing a title. I've challenged myself to compare their writing and learned alot about the author. It broadens my perspective, encourages an interest in the writers developement and supports the industry.

Old 08-12-2010, 08:02 AM

3,131 posts, read 10,736,420 times
If you typically read the sue grafton, james patterson, mary higgins clark etc, try books by JA Jance. She has a lot out there and there are 3 or 4 different series. read them in order! also, if you like a good thriller, try the books by Steve Berry. also, read them in order. Brad Thor has a great character (Scot Harvath) politically charged thrillers..again, read them in order. James Rollins is the newest author I have gotten hooked on. Love the Sigma Force Series.
There are also the historical fiction novels by John Jakes. the kent family chronicles. It is 8 volumes, of course, the North and South series.

If you enjoy Light fiction mysteries, try Susan Wittig Albert's china Bayles mysteries. Also, diane mott davidson's Goldie the Caterer series!

hope this helps gets you started!

Old 07-05-2013, 02:49 PM

522 posts, read 599,786 times
I get arcs and galleys and review and buy books off amazon used ones.

Old 07-05-2013, 03:09 PM

522 posts, read 599,786 times
try goodrads.com or librarything.com. rather goodreads the members list their books and you can get a lot of ideas for new books to read.

Old 07-05-2013, 03:51 PM

11,095 posts, read 10,233,999 times
Wow, this is wonderful! I would hope that the bookstore adores you, so perhaps you could make a habit of perusing perusing something like the New York Times book review section for ideas, and maybe making a list of authors you like, and asking the book store to put in a order for you before the book is even released.

You might also want to try older books. It's true that you can zip right through most new ones, but older ones are often much more substantial and not so facile.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or