U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2007, 03:42 PM

896 posts, read 3,989,270 times

Advertisements

I seem to have a problem--besides watching way too much TV, I read way too many books. It's getting to the point that I read my books quicker than the book store can get new ones in. I like to read modern fiction, by the way, so I usually just buy all the current best sellers and new releases. Anyone else have his problem??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2007, 04:01 PM

500 posts, read 979,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5FLgirls View Post
It's getting to the point that I read my books quicker than the book store can get new ones in.
I'm not sure I understand what you mean here.

You've read through a bookstore's fiction section, and the industry just can't keep up with you?

Factoid: In 2005 there were over 25 million new books (new titles) printed.

Old 10-21-2007, 04:14 PM

69,360 posts, read 57,628,141 times
Quote:
I seem to have a problem--besides watching way too much TV, I read way too many books. It's getting to the point that I read my books quicker than the book store can get new ones in. I like to read modern fiction, by the way, so I usually just buy all the current best sellers and new releases. Anyone else have his problem??
I'll be sure to send you the link to my new book store under development then.. haha..
[mod cut]

Last edited by ontheroad; 10-21-2007 at 07:41 PM.. Reason: Sorry if I misunderstood, but promotion is against TOS.

Old 10-21-2007, 07:42 PM

10,194 posts, read 25,354,806 times
How about trying to do it alphabetically; or by country; or by Nobel Prize winners?

Old 10-21-2007, 10:01 PM

325 posts, read 1,006,616 times
Quote:
I wish I had to free time to have the problem you have. I think the more appropriate post would have been that there are not enough books in modern fiction that you are interested in. Or that they authors that you are familiar with do not produce books fast enough for you.

Sue Grafton has 20 plus books....James Patterson is mass producing so he puts out a new book every few months it seems. There are more Danielle Steele books than anyone in America cares to read. Janet Evanovich is moving right along with her series.

Have you ever read Lisa Scottoline or Michael Connelly? They write great mysteries. How about Mary Higgins Clark? She has many great books. Those are just a few that I have mentioned without listing the heavyhitters such as Koontz, King, Cornwell, Grisham, JD Robb (Nora Roberts) and Sandra Brown.

I seem to have the opposite problem....I dont have the time to read the stuff as it is coming out. I am just now getting around to Kite Runner as the rest of the world is on A Thousand Splendid Suns. The Patterson Womens Murder Club fans are eagerly awaiting the 7th installment as I have just finished the 3rd. I have the 4th and 5th waiting on my shelf. Just dont have the time.

Old 10-22-2007, 01:13 AM

301 posts, read 1,534,119 times
Quote:
Yes, I do - although I know specifically what authors/genre of books I like and I don't venture much out of my box. The few times I did, the books did not keep my interest.

I used to wait for books in paperback, but found I had "nothing" to read. I've been reading hardcovers from the library and been going through 2-3 books a week.

Old 10-22-2007, 07:23 AM

13,036 posts, read 22,583,818 times
I have the same problem actually, as I am so picky about books. I have tried so many new authors only to end up bored and feeling cheated and I am becoming more and more restricted in my choice of literature. I find most contemporary authors to be disappointing and the ones I love just don't write quickly enough and produce enough books for my liking. I find there aren't enough books being written to keep my interest up. Of course this is an exaggeration as amongst of the thousands of books published every year there are bound to be many I would really enjoy but I somehow have become a lot more circumspect about my choices and am maybe a tad too prudent in my ventures into the newly published material on offer. I really enjoy re-reading the"classics" but there are limits to how many times one can re-read Balzac or Tolstoy....

Old 10-22-2007, 11:57 AM

2,404 posts, read 3,565,661 times
Yeah, it's not that there aren't enough books to read, it's that there aren't enough *good* books out there.

Old 10-22-2007, 12:25 PM

8,306 posts, read 3,283,845 times
Quote:
I think what you mean is there arent enough good books to keep you occupied . Lol I am very picky about books myself and have a hard time finding one that can keep me interested .Now there are a few authors I could swear on, but either they have stopped writing or are dead . Not joking ! If I do find a good book, I finish it off in 2 -3 days ! So either way I seem to be always looking for books !

Old 10-23-2007, 12:59 PM

896 posts, read 3,989,270 times
I meant that there aren't enough books that are at MY interest level written by authors that I like. But I'm also beginning to read things by authors I'm not familiar with just to have something to read. And I don't have a lot of free time -- I have four small children but I still manage to read at least three to four books per week. I just trolled Barnes & Noble on Sunday and manage to come up with a new book by Courtney Thorne-Smith (the actress) and it wasn't half-bad. Unfortunately, there weren't any other new releases I hadn't read. I usually don't like to re-read books.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or