U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2007, 12:18 PM

8,306 posts, read 3,293,243 times

Advertisements

What's it with them ? LOL. I read Phillip Margolin's Gone with the wind and really enjoyed it . Went out and got some more books of his, hoping they would be as good . I then read Sleeping beauty which was just OK. Now I am desperately trying my way through Wild revenge , so far it hasnt got anything happening , and I am well past a 100 pages or so. What a disappointment ! Have you read any author whose one book you liked very much, but others werent as good ?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2007, 03:13 PM

2,377 posts, read 5,003,412 times
Ummmm...Margaret Mitchell wrote Gone With the Wind... and it was her only book...

Old 10-22-2007, 03:45 PM

8,306 posts, read 3,293,243 times
Oops! Sorry , I meant Philip Margolins Gone But Not Forgotten

Got confused with the names..lol

Old 10-22-2007, 03:51 PM

Location: Georgia.I rather be in GODS country Tennessee.Everybody knows Gods a VOLS fan.
597 posts, read 1,973,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyGal View Post
What's it with them ? LOL. I read Phillip Margolin's Gone with the wind and really enjoyed it . Went out and got some more books of his, hoping they would be as good . I then read Sleeping beauty which was just OK. Now I am desperately trying my way through Wild revenge , so far it hasnt got anything happening , and I am well past a 100 pages or so. What a disappointment ! Have you read any author whose one book you liked very much, but others werent as good ?
looks like you have wasted well past a 100 pages of your life that you will never get back.

Burn that book now.

I use to love reading but I just can't get in to it anymore.

Old 10-22-2007, 04:59 PM

13,395 posts, read 41,958,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyGal View Post
I'm sure it's happened, but I can't think of any right off the bat.
When I find an author I like, it all seems to work pretty well.
There are some where I have hungrily read book after book, with no disappointment.
But there must be some where the opposite occurred.
I'll ponder this awhile and see if I come up with anything.

Old 10-22-2007, 05:07 PM

2,377 posts, read 5,003,412 times
Happy, A perfectly understandable mistake!!! Made a few myself!! But keep on reading...I don't think you have "wasted" your time...try another author or subject..

Old 10-23-2007, 09:34 PM

1,343 posts, read 4,805,741 times
Default Have we forgotten?

John Kennedy Toole's A Confederancy of Dunces? Pulitzer prize winner BTW.

Old 10-26-2007, 07:18 PM

417 posts, read 1,025,583 times
Yes! Jonathan Raban's Old Glory was great. Everything else he's written just doesn't hold my attention.

Old 10-27-2007, 12:41 PM

Location: Life here is not an Apollo Mission. Everyone calm down.
1,065 posts, read 4,275,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssg II View Post
John Kennedy Toole's A Confederacy of Dunces? Pulitzer prize winner BTW.
Fantastic book, fascinating story about the book being published after the author's suicide. And equally fascinating story about why it's never made it to film. Highly recommend this classic.

Old 10-27-2007, 12:43 PM

Location: Life here is not an Apollo Mission. Everyone calm down.
1,065 posts, read 4,275,239 times
My favorite one hit wonder is Rise the Euphrates, a novel by Carol Edgarian. It is historic fiction based on the Armenian holocaust at the hands of the Turks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or