Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2011, 09:53 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times

Advertisements

When browsing at a library or a bookstore, how do you choose a book to take home to read?

I usually check a book, if it seems interesting, by opening it to a random place a couple of times, and read about a half a page, and see if I like the way the prose flows. Usually, I'm more interested in compelling writing style, than in the story itself.

I prefer to read books by writers whom I have never heard of, they are often refreshing, but of course, sometimes terrible. I don't choose many by woman writers, because (rightly or wrongly) I am of the opinion that the current high demand for woman writers lets a lot more mediocre ones in the front door of publishing houses. Same goes for novels about or by writers from currently newsworthy countries like Afghanistan, for the same reason.

I rarely read any non-fiction anymore, because it always seems that the book simply presents a premise that can be summarized on the dust jacket, but goes on with 400 pages of filler. Like "Future Shock". Few are written that can be read for pleasure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2011, 10:04 AM

1,788 posts, read 2,482,138 times
I have several favorite authors. I sometimes look at how often a book gets checked out. When learning about a subject, I check out half an armload and try to read them all.

Some books are not good reading but one very obscure nugget of information can make it worthwhile.

I've only been able to finish one book written by a woman. Their writing style tends to make me nauseous. For example, the men are generally muscular, scarred, and veiny. But then I have not perused many of their books.

Old 03-23-2011, 10:09 AM

2,319 posts, read 4,803,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnHAdams View Post
I've only been able to finish one book written by a woman. Their writing style tends to make me nauseous. For example, the men are generally muscular, scarred, and veiny. But then I have not perused many of their books.
I guess you haven't read much Margaret Atwood, George Eliot, or Alice Walker!

Old 03-23-2011, 10:13 AM

29,746 posts, read 34,389,499 times
Quote:
Romance novels aren't really indicative of female authors in general. Just sayin'.

Old 03-23-2011, 10:22 AM

10,214 posts, read 17,877,384 times
I have a long to-read list already so when it's time to start a new book, I just pick from my list. I read ebooks now so when I find a book that sounds good, I download the free sample and this forms my to-read list. Once I've read the sample, I'll decide whether I'm still interested in buying it or not.

Quote:
What on earth are you reading? Sounds like a tacky romance novel - fyi, there are female authors in many other genres and therefore don't write like this.

Old 03-23-2011, 11:27 AM

7,309 posts, read 9,326,230 times
I've been ordering some books through Amazon lately, but I find it hard to make choices since I skim through the book for the writing style. But I don't choose only based on the writing style. I also tend to choose for information about topics I want to understand better.

I agree that in current events books come out that aren't necessarily so much well-written as timely, or seeking to cash in at the moment but even a not-so-well written book can yield the occasional nugget. The reason I've been reading military non-fiction lately, is in a better effort to understand the mindset of those serving in the current wars, for example, not because I'm a fan of war.

If I only read about people I can relate to, I'd never learn anything.

Then yesterday, I found at the bookstore a book called Methland by Nick Reding, in which he depicts the devastation meth causes in a small American town. Since I don't know anything based on personal experience (good thing, eh) about drug abuse, I figured I might learn a thing or two. Plus the book was highly recommended by New York Times reviewers, etc.

Old 03-23-2011, 11:36 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,032,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
If I only read about people I can relate to, I'd never learn anything.
You hit the nail on the head here. I've been reading Amazon reviews -- negative ones -- of books that I thought would interest me, and it bugs me to no end when I read someone say, "I didn't like the main character" or "I couldn't relate to any of the characters".

Do we always have to LIKE the character? Oftentimes, I've read a book in which the main character is despicable, but the story is enthralling. It's the main character's GOAL to be despicable.

Anyway, you get my point. It's your point, too.

Old 03-23-2011, 11:37 AM

2,319 posts, read 4,803,752 times
My process is very similar to netwit's. I do look into the recommendations of friends, but I rarely buy a book unless I've already read and am convinced I'll read it again. I used to just buy everything I saw that I liked, but I was spending WAY too much money. The library is my best friend.

Old 03-23-2011, 11:42 AM

2,218 posts, read 3,453,491 times
There are a few ways I select books to read. Since I read a LOT, I want to be sure I am getting a book that will interest me.

First, I do read reviews, best seller lists, etc, as well as ask friends and even my passengers at work if they like the books they are reading. Also, if I hear about a book that someone recommends..or even if I see a book that might be interesting to me in a bookstore...I always read the first ten pages. Amazon often offers a preview sample of the opening pages of books they are selling. I figure that if an author hasnt hooked me by the first ten pages, chances of me liking the rest of the book or the author's writing style are diminished. Of course, that is not always true, but usually it is.

There are so many titles out there, it is frustrating to buy one only to have it be a dud. Also, I am a big user of my local library. If I find a book there that is not great, it has cost me nothing. Most libraries have online sites that allow you to be put on waiting lists for best sellers/popular titles. Money saving and convenient.

Old 03-23-2011, 06:20 PM

1,788 posts, read 2,482,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Romance novels aren't really indicative of female authors in general. Just sayin'.
I usually read action/suspence/thriller when I read for entertainment. Not much for romance, I sometimes hit the fast forward when the bedroom appears.

Unless...the romantic passion seems real, I think romantic passion is harder to fake than, say, anger.

I'm sure the passion is real sometimes. Some stars have a hot relationship as a result of being partnered in a movie.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books