Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-28-2008, 04:39 PM

3,724 posts, read 9,324,133 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolagranola View Post
Hey, best is best. Many readers remember the books they fell in love with as children (didn't we have a thread on this recently?), and many have children's or YA books as their "favorite" well after THEIR children are grown.

The Lorax and The Giving Tree are some of the best books I've ever read. They will ALWAYS be on my shelf. And just recently I found a copy of the first novel I read in elementary school (Just a Dog) dozens of times. I read it again, and it is still wonderful! My daughter (13) also loved it.
Okay, I'll have to add everything by Shel Silverstein and Dr. Seuss.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-29-2008, 04:29 PM

790 posts, read 4,019,693 times
I can't say what my top 5 favorite books are. I don't think that way but i'll recommend a few that come to mind.

T.C. Boyle is a writer that i love and my favorite books of his are:
"East is East"
"The Tortilla Curtain"
"A friend of the Earth"

Another book that i adore is:
"Ceremony" (author - Leslie Marmon Silko)
and the short stories of
Sherman Alexis
(especially "The Lone Ranger and Tonto Fist Fight in Heaven")
and i thought his most recent work (a novel) "Flight" was wonderful.
Happy Reading

Old 03-06-2008, 10:42 AM

1,079 posts, read 2,650,724 times
I know I already posted here, but I only have four books that I would award ten out of ten stars. Two are fiction and two are non-fiction:

1. Random Family: Love, Drugs, Trouble, and Coming of Age in the Bronx by Adrian Nicole LeBlanc

2. Walking with the Wind: A Memoir of the Movement by John Lewis

3. East of Eden by John Steinbeck

4. The Road by Cormac McCarthy - I just finished this one about a week ago. Unreal.

Old 03-10-2008, 10:43 PM

12,981 posts, read 14,533,906 times
Swan Song, Robert McCammon
the Stand, Stephen King
johnny got his gun, Dalton Trumbo
the Cobra Event, Richard Preston
Strangers, or Watchers, Dean Koontz
from when I was young:
the Crystal Horse, Catherine Fowler Magee

Old 03-11-2008, 04:27 PM

739 posts, read 830,734 times
Wind from the Carolinas

Collapse

Meditations on Hunting - Ortega

The Art of War - Sun Tzu

The Old Man and the Boy - Robert Ruark

Old 03-13-2008, 06:30 PM

4,596 posts, read 11,449,708 times
Default Arrgghh! Still can't do it!

Well, I am STILL working on my five favorites. How are ya'll doing this?! I'll think I've got my five, and then, 'no, not that one, this one.' And then it becomes, 'would you pick that over, say, this?' and on and on and on. . .

So many books, so little time. I need a new way to look at this. Five books everyone should have read in his/her lifetime? No, that isn't 'getting it,' either.

Humpf! *stamping foot* I may very well be working on a response for this thread for the next several years. It's already been a few months! And I'm still NO c-l-o-s-e-r to posting even one title.

Old 03-13-2008, 08:11 PM

1,458 posts, read 4,132,872 times
Quote:
I may very well be working on a response for this thread for the next several years. It's already been a few months! And I'm still NO c-l-o-s-e-r to posting even one title.
Ha! I totally know what you mean!! I think I replied to this thread with comments on other's selections looong before I shared my favorites! Because I had to mull it over...this is a weighty question, I can't just rattle off some title just because I liked it! And even after answering it, I would remember others.

Five? How about favorite 5 well writen fiction; 5 that impacted your life or way of thinking; 5 classics; 5 you often recommend; 5 nonfiction; 5 children's books; 5...I dunno, what else?

So what I am trying to say...Book Lover's can't be confined to such a limited choice!!

Old 03-13-2008, 09:10 PM

3,724 posts, read 9,324,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDSLOTS View Post
Well, I am STILL working on my five favorites. How are ya'll doing this?! I'll think I've got my five, and then, 'no, not that one, this one.' And then it becomes, 'would you pick that over, say, this?' and on and on and on. . .

So many books, so little time. I need a new way to look at this. Five books everyone should have read in his/her lifetime? No, that isn't 'getting it,' either.

Humpf! *stamping foot* I may very well be working on a response for this thread for the next several years. It's already been a few months! And I'm still NO c-l-o-s-e-r to posting even one title.
So - rattle off the first 5 that come to mind, then start another thread. Something like "HOW could I have forgotten THIS ONE!?"

Old 03-13-2008, 11:05 PM

4,596 posts, read 11,449,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lolagranola View Post
Five? How about favorite 5 well writen fiction; 5 that impacted your life or way of thinking; 5 classics; 5 you often recommend; 5 nonfiction; 5 children's books; 5...I dunno, what else?

So what I am trying to say...Book Lover's can't be confined to such a limited choice!!
Eggs-act-uh-lack-lee!

And not to mention that nagging thought in the back of my head -- somebody's gonna read my favorite five, and ponder, "Say what?! She thinks those books are great? Puh-lease."

Oh, well. . . it's had me thinking, and that's a good thing.

Let's see . . . just one title, maybe. I keep thinking of A Confederacy of Dunces.

And I do find myself recommending Kahled Hosseini's two works, repeatedly.

Well, now. That's actually three titles. But see, I've already changed my mind again.

Old 03-15-2008, 08:28 PM

4,725 posts, read 10,135,408 times
I usually find myself recommending the book that I just finished! I have lost more purchased books that way.

I do think that we tend to think in categories just as lolagranola suggests. It is extremely difficult to state your first choice without your mind taking you on a trip to related books.

I don't know if everyone thinks that way, but just off of the top of your head if you mention one book that you really enjoyed, what is the next title to pop into your head? Is it a book by the same author? Same theme? Same genre? It would be interesting to know how others reach their choice of 5.

Like you, RDSLOTS, I am lately recommending Khaled Hosseini's books to everyone I know. I am also on a social awareness and conscience roll as a result of reading Hosseini's two novels. As I peruse my local bookstores my eyes are taken to similar themed books. Today I put Three Cups of Tea on hold until I can go back in a couple of days to get it! Why? Hosseini's account of the plight of women and children in Afghanistan and Pakistan drew me to it like a policeman to a donut shop!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books