Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-13-2009, 10:32 PM

20 posts, read 37,874 times

Advertisements

1. Summer of Fear by Lois Duncan
2. I Know What You Did Last Summer by Lois Duncan (the film is way different)
3. Ransom by Lois Duncan
4. All of the Cirque de Freak books except for the last one
5. Goosebumps: Night of the Living Dummy 1-5 by R.L. Stine
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2009, 11:57 PM

390 posts, read 905,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by max's mama View Post
It is so hard to pick top 5!!!!

Jane Eyre by Charlotte Branto
To Kill A Mockingbird by Harper Lee
The Glass Castle by Jeannette Walls
Brothers Karamazov by Fedor Dostoyevskiy
Angela's Ashes by Frank McCourt.

Close runner-ups:

A Tree Grows in Brooklyn
Lord of the Flies
Chronicles of Narnia (or anything by CS Lewis)

Next on my list to read:
Catch 22
Farhenheit 451
Catcher in the Rye
Clockwork Orange
I can't believe I never read those yet, but judging by the list, I have something to look forward to!
OMG, The Glass Castle and Angela's ashes were 2 of the best books ever written, IMO.
Have u read Frank McCourt's 2nd book?.

Old 05-15-2009, 12:38 PM

474 posts, read 1,067,188 times
Catcher in the Rye, To Kill a Mockingbird, The Iliad, Metamorphoses by Ovid, and The Once and Future King.

Old 05-22-2009, 08:16 PM

378 posts, read 626,305 times
"The Gathering Storm" by Sir Winston Churchill. Also John Edward's One Last Time is about the best book I've ever read. Two Way Street by Lauren Barnholdt was also really good because it was like a two sides story.

Old 05-29-2009, 02:21 PM

440 posts, read 1,691,615 times
Just finished Terror by Dan Simmons.. Long book.. but one that will keep your interest...if you like books on expeditions ..

Old 07-07-2009, 04:41 PM

256 posts, read 453,102 times
I can't begin to answer this one! I can't limit myself to "just five!" ROTFLOL!!!

Old 08-09-2010, 06:01 PM

3,430 posts, read 4,336,164 times
Harry Potter
A tale of two cities
Frankenstein
twilight
I can't think of a 5th

Old 08-11-2010, 11:35 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
OK, I't been a year since I posted my top five. I've read some nice books since, which are not in my all-time top five, but here are my favorite five from the past year or so (sleepers, for those of you who think you've already read all the good books):

Peter Temple. "The Broken Shore,
Lance Olsen. "Nietzsche's Kisses"
David Lodge "Deaf Sentence",
Mischa Berlinski "Fieldwork"
Brock Clarke. "An Arsonist's Guide to Writers' Homes in New England"

Old 08-11-2010, 10:00 PM

2,209 posts, read 4,224,529 times
By 'books', you mean novels? assuming so, so far, in no particular order;

Anna Karenina
A Wild Sheep Chase
The Gospel According to Jesus Christ
Einstein's Dream
Notes From Underground

so many more to go but those come to mind at the moment, and so many more books yet to be read.

Old 08-14-2010, 09:46 AM

12,406 posts, read 18,972,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soonerguy View Post
I'm smiling at seeing Helter Skelter on your list. I got ahold of my mom's copy when I was about twelve and read it secretly. When she found out, she acted like she really did not want me to read it but she let me anyway, God rest her soul. What I remember most was that it scared the fire out of me....LOL!
Because Helter Skelter has been mentioned a few times, I read it, and also read The Family by Ed Saunders. Although Skelter had gotten more press, I found Family to be much more engrossing. It is well written by a contemporary, a musician I think. It is not so much the point of view of law enforcement and apprehension, but an interesting journey of these kids, early on, and the times in which they lived and their daily lives and their journey which lead to the horrors.
It hit home on a much more personal level because you feel these are people you might know and actually like - as a matter of fact I saw a snapshot of the group and hangers on and recognized a girl I had known a long time ago. Her name was there. Very eerie.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books