Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2007, 12:07 PM

1,079 posts, read 2,650,724 times

Advertisements

How about 10, though not in order:

1. The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay - Michael Chabon
2. Europe Central - William Vollmann
3. Slaughterhouse Five - Kurt Vonnegut
4. Walking With The Wind: A Memoir Of The Movement - John Lewis
5. East of Eden - John Steinbeck
6. One Hundred Years Of Solitude - Gabriel Garcia Marquez
7. Random Family - Adrian Nicole LeBlanc
8. A Prayer For The City - Buzz Bissinger
9. The Picture Of Dorian Gray - Oscar Wilde
10. Common Ground - J. Anthony Lukas
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2007, 04:30 PM

312 posts, read 1,639,444 times
Ultimate Gift, Jim Stovall
For One More Day, Mitch Albom
Five People You Meet in Heaven, Mitch Albom

Old 12-03-2007, 11:28 PM

3,943 posts, read 6,374,256 times
I have to add another to my list - World Without End. If you think Pillars of the Earth is good, (and it is) you have a pleasant surprise in store for you in World Without End. It was so good, I'm having trouble finding a book to read that holds my interest. It is spectacular!

Old 12-05-2007, 04:11 PM

12,974 posts, read 33,958,318 times
Chronicles of Tao - Deng Meng Dao
Living The Martial Way - Forrest E. Morgan
Go Rin No Sho (Book of Five Rings) - Miyamoto Musashi
The Demons Sermon on the Martial Arts - Issai Chozanshi and William Scott Wilson

Old 12-05-2007, 08:41 PM

4,530 posts, read 8,866,892 times
A tough list to compile but of the ones I remember here goes.
1. Lonesome Dove by Larry McMurtry
2. Winds of War by Herman Wouk
3. Centennial by James Michener
4. Watership Down by Richard Adams(?)
5. Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand
6. PLAINSONG by Ken Haruf

I have read so many really great books in my 60+ years but these must be among the best because I remember them LOL.

GL2

Old 12-05-2007, 08:58 PM

5,715 posts, read 15,045,746 times
Default another classic...

1984 by George Orwell

The Catcher in the Rye by JD Salinger
Enter Talking by Joan Rivers
Superior Women by Alice Adams
Jonathon Livingston Seagull by Richard Bach

Last edited by World Citizen; 12-05-2007 at 09:15 PM..

Old 12-05-2007, 09:28 PM

3,943 posts, read 6,374,256 times
Gunluvver, did you know that they are going to be making a movie from "Atlas Shrugged"? Angelina Jolie will be playing the lead woman. (I forgot her name). Also, have you read "The Fountainhead" by Ayn Rand? IMO, it was better than "Atlas Shrugged."

World Citizen, thats interesting that you like Enter Talking that much. Was it because it was funny, or is she pretty interesting?

Old 12-06-2007, 11:04 AM

5,715 posts, read 15,045,746 times
Default Enter Talking...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jess5 View Post
Gunluvver, did you know that they are going to be making a movie from "Atlas Shrugged"? Angelina Jolie will be playing the lead woman. (I forgot her name). Also, have you read "The Fountainhead" by Ayn Rand? IMO, it was better than "Atlas Shrugged."

World Citizen, thats interesting that you like Enter Talking that much. Was it because it was funny, or is she pretty interesting?
Even if you don't like Joan Rivers, you will enjoy this book.

There are obviously going to be some funny parts because it is told by the author.... but, the story of how Joan Rivers started her career is probably not what you'd expect. This book is about her upbringing and what it took for her to just become a woman comedian when women didn't do that kind of work.

I still have the hard cover on display on my coffee table.

Can I add two more books to my list?

Peace Child by Don Richardson is an amazing book
The Father Heart of God by Floyd McClung

I generally prefer non-fiction. These are both based on true stories which are interesting alone... both books have much deeper application in life than purely the story that is told.

It's hard to think of favorite books when you're asked that question. I tend to think of the BAD ones that I've wasted time and money on... but, I might get tarred and feathered if I mentioned the name of the last one of those!

Last edited by World Citizen; 12-06-2007 at 12:21 PM..

Old 12-06-2007, 11:22 AM

Thanks for that heads up about a movie of ATLAS SHRUGGED Jess5. I don't see how they can cut the book down to a two hour movie but hey with Angelina in it I will plop down my bucks to see it ( my dirty ol man side is showing

Yes I did read the Fountainhead and they made a great movie out of it starring Gary Cooper. Ayn Rand wrote several other books but IMHO Atlas Shrugged & The Fountainhead were her best. "We The Living" was another one I liked.

Old 12-06-2007, 11:27 AM

Looking over the posts of five favorite books I see a lot of titles I have read and enjoyed over the years. I see even more that I haven't read but I would like to.

I used to keep a list of books that I MUST READ before I die since I was about ten years old. I quit keeping that list a few years back when I did the math and concluded I would have to live to be several thousand years old to complete the list.

I know the very first question I ask when I reach the Pearly Gates will be " Read any good books lately?"

GL2
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books