Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2013, 03:40 PM

1,833 posts, read 3,351,142 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
Excuse me, but I think I'd try titles/ authors that are a little better quality than some of the ones being suggested here. And I find it curious that everyone is suggesting female authors.

May I first ask what you like to read?
If you go back and read the original post, he is looking for books for his neighbor friend who is a 26-year-old woman.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2013, 08:33 PM

4,530 posts, read 8,865,904 times
Quote:
Excuse me, but I think I'd try titles/ authors that are a little better quality than some of the ones being suggested here. And I find it curious that everyone is suggesting female authors.

Good question Cida but I was asking for suggestions on titles that a 26 year old Female might like. I am a 66 year old Male and I have read thousands of books over the years. I am not sure that my interests in reading will be titles she would enjoy. Some of the titles I have read over the years that I would recommend to anyone are: LONESOME DOVE (my personal favorite), anything by Larry McMurtry, James Michener, Herman Wouk, Leon Uris, Louis L'Amour, Zane Grey, Joseph Wambaugh, Stuart Woods, David Baldacci, John Grisham, Banielle Steele, Jackie Collins, Jeffrey Archer, Harper Lee, GONE WITH THE WIND, Colleen McCullough, Richard Adams, Isaac Asimov, Robert Heinlein, Jose Phillip Farmer, Jerry Pournelle and Larry Niven and a few hundred others. At different stages of my life my taste in reading material was vastly different than it is today.

Although there are a lot of books that I am sure both Men & Women would enjoy, many of the titles I enjoy probably would NOT be on a twenty something Females reading list. I don't want to overwhelm her with a list of titles that I have read. I would like to recommend a few that I know she will enjoy so she will become hooked on reading. After all I have have had sixty years of reading behind me. Hopefully she has sixty years of reading ahead of her.

GL2

Old 05-12-2013, 09:15 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,029,371 times
One of the best books that I read (when I was 40) is actually a book that's marketed for Young Adults (younger than your friend, even). I think that it would get her into reading: The Book Thief by Marcus Zusak. Another good one is Still Alice by Lisa Genova.

Old 05-13-2013, 11:53 AM

78 posts, read 129,004 times
Some specific recommendations:

Memoirs of a Geisha by Arthur Golden
The Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk Kidd
The Help by Kathryn Stockett (recently read this and could not put it down!)
The Art of Racing in the Rain by Garth Stein
I also second the biography/auto biography recommendation. I think they are a great way to get in to reading.

Also, generally for someone who is just getting in to reading, the popular novels and new releases might not be a bad idea. Typically books are big sellers because they're well written or are a great escape.

Good luck!

Old 05-14-2013, 05:11 PM

10,363 posts, read 20,797,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunluvver2 View Post
Thanks for the heads up fromupthere. I am going to take my friend to the Library Monday and get her set up with a library card. I remember reading a fantastic story about the early convicts in Australia by Colleen McCullough but I can't remember the title. THORN BIRDS isn't it but that is a good read also. I am thinking anything by Mari Sandoz and Willa Cather might also be stories she would enjoy.

I am know Henry Higgins but I do see a lot of Eliza Doolittle in this young Lady LOL. I will suggest the titles by Jodi Picoult also.

GL2
I believe that Morgan's Run is the title of the book about Australia--I read it while traveling in Oz and couldn't put it down. Couldn't put down Thorn Birds either. Another, older book about the same subject that I liked even better though was Botany Bay, by the same duo who wrote Mutiny on the Bounty.

Honestly though, rather than try to figure out titles for a very young lady, why not just tell her about your favorites and see which ones she seems to be most interested in? After all, your list matches a lot of what I read when I was that age and great books never go out of style. Also, without knowing anything about her, it's impossible to tell what she might like. One of my dd's loves Jane Austen and the other one can't stand her. One girl reads fantasy, the other has moved on. Both like history and I like it all.

Also, if you think she might like Willa Cather, you might also look into Friendly Persuasion by Jessamyn West or The Moonflower Vine by Jetta Carleton. Those are both fantastic and I first read Jetta's book in my early 20's. I dunno though--I'm 54 and still have pretty much the same tastes as I ever had which is why I think you'll be fine telling her about your favorites. And yes, I've read Lonesome Dove twice--once in my 20's and once in my late 40's and loved it both times.

Old 05-14-2013, 07:14 PM

4,530 posts, read 8,865,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stepka View Post
I believe that Morgan's Run is the title of the book about Australia--I read it while traveling in Oz and couldn't put it down. Couldn't put down Thorn Birds either. Another, older book about the same subject that I liked even better though was Botany Bay, by the same duo who wrote Mutiny on the Bounty.

Honestly though, rather than try to figure out titles for a very young lady, why not just tell her about your favorites and see which ones she seems to be most interested in? After all, your list matches a lot of what I read when I was that age and great books never go out of style. Also, without knowing anything about her, it's impossible to tell what she might like. One of my dd's loves Jane Austen and the other one can't stand her. One girl reads fantasy, the other has moved on. Both like history and I like it all.

Also, if you think she might like Willa Cather, you might also look into Friendly Persuasion by Jessamyn West or The Moonflower Vine by Jetta Carleton. Those are both fantastic and I first read Jetta's book in my early 20's. I dunno though--I'm 54 and still have pretty much the same tastes as I ever had which is why I think you'll be fine telling her about your favorites. And yes, I've read Lonesome Dove twice--once in my 20's and once in my late 40's and loved it both times.

Yes Stepka I believe MORGAN'S RUN was the title. The only other book that kept me so enthralled was LONESOME DOVE. It is time for me to read MR again. I also enjoyed WATERSHIP DOWN by Richard Adams. I didn't know a story about a bunch of rabbits could be so interesting. Thanks to all of you for the suggestions. The only down side to getting her interested in reading is that she is one of my favorite riding partners and I don't want to be replaced by a book.

GL2

Old 05-15-2013, 09:49 PM

10,363 posts, read 20,797,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunluvver2 View Post
Yes Stepka I believe MORGAN'S RUN was the title. The only other book that kept me so enthralled was LONESOME DOVE. It is time for me to read MR again. I also enjoyed WATERSHIP DOWN by Richard Adams. I didn't know a story about a bunch of rabbits could be so interesting. Thanks to all of you for the suggestions. The only down side to getting her interested in reading is that she is one of my favorite riding partners and I don't want to be replaced by a book.

GL2
Well I hope you get a chance to read Botany Bay too. I read a book about the history of Australia (European history I mean), The Fatal Shore by Robert Hughes, and Botany Bay was quite accurate as it was based on a historical incident, just as Mutiny on the Bounty was. Then be ready to plan that trip to Australia. What amazed me after reading The Fatal Shore and Morgan's Run and then seeing Sydney Harbor, is how quickly after they arrived that they found practically the most beautiful harbor in the world. I loved everything about Oz except the flies-- I swallowed a few.

Old 05-16-2013, 03:13 AM

10,214 posts, read 17,874,219 times
Quote:
Excuse me, but I think I'd try titles/ authors that are a little better quality than some of the ones being suggested here.
Yes, God forbid an intelligent, college educated woman who studies hard takes a break from it by reading some fun, mindless fluff to relax. How very beneath her that should be.

Quote:
And I find it curious that everyone is suggesting female authors.
Well, most books written for a female audience are written by female authors. It's hardly surprising. It doesn't mean that's only what women read but it is mainstream.

Quote:
I fail to see how that matters - the OP is pretty much asking for suggestions of books which would be the opposite of what he enjoys.

My suggestion is for her to start with Janet Evanovich's Stephanie Plum series (first book is called "One For the Money" - they did a movie of it but it was crap so if she saw the movie and hated it, tell her the books are a million times better) - it's hilarious and fun, it appeals to many young woman and it's easy to read so it will provide an excellent break from her studies.

If she wants to try something more serious, Jodi Picoult was a good suggestion, so is Memoirs of a Geisha and The Help. The Lovely Bones. Water for Elephants. There's a reason these have all been made into movies. They're all very mainstream bestsellers so it's a good starting place.

Old 05-16-2013, 08:02 AM

29,745 posts, read 34,383,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
My suggestion is for her to start with Janet Evanovich's Stephanie Plum series (first book is called "One For the Money" - they did a movie of it but it was crap so if she saw the movie and hated it, tell her the books are a million times better) - it's hilarious and fun, it appeals to many young woman and it's easy to read so it will provide an excellent break from her studies.
Along the same lines I'd throw in the Sookie Stackhouse books by Charlaine Harris. They're the source material for the True Blood TV show (though beyond characters with the same names, it's completely different.) They're quick reads, and perfect summer fluff.

Old 05-16-2013, 03:14 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,896,554 times
When you visit the library, ask the librarian for suggestions and booklists. Make sure you ask the right person - those checking out books may or may not be professional librarians with knowledge of books. You want the Adult Services Librarian, who may go by a different title in your local library system. Most libraries have booklists geared around different interests.

Since your friend is a new at reading for pleasure, perhaps a collection of short stories might be enjoyable and sort of ease her into the habit. Non-fiction about her own interests might also be something she'd like. Make sure she understands that libraries contain all sorts of non-fiction that can relate to her everyday life - cookbooks, gardening, hobbies, travel, health, the natural world, biographies, etc. Show her around, then turn her loose and let her browse.

Good for you for getting her interested in books - a world awaits her!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books