U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2013, 10:02 PM

5,763 posts, read 10,079,718 times

Advertisements

My daughter is 10 years old and can read at a high level (high middle school to probably freshmen level). She is in the gifted program at her school and can handle some mature subject matter. She has been a very inconsistent reader over the last couple of years and I have challenged her to read my summer reading list and in exchange she will get either the American Girl doll that she wants or a Red Slider Turtle (whichever one she wants at that time).

I want her to read some of the classics but also some fun books to get her passionate about reading. I also want her to be challenged so she doesnt get bored with it.

So far, I know that these will be in the list:

Alice in Wonderland/Through the Looking Glass by Lewis Carroll
Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain
The Curious Incident of the Dog at Night time by Mark Haddon
Animal Farm by George Orwell
The Outsiders by SE Hinton
The Sorcerer's Stone (1st HP book) - I have been trying to get her to read the books but I could never get her too. I am going to include a few 1st in a series book so hopefully she wants to continue reading the series)
The Hunger Games - 1st Book.

I also have a list of books I am considering based online suggestions and reviews but I left it at work.

So, anyone have any recommendations for books that a 10 year should read that will be headed to middle school in a year? Anything that she should get out of the way or maybe something she will read in middle school that she can get a little ahead on? Anything come out in the last few years that I may not know about?

Any feedback will be appreciated!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2013, 10:51 PM

3,182 posts, read 6,821,915 times
I think this is awesome that you are working to develop a reading list for your daughter and I clearly understand that she is an advanced reader (I was too at that age), but I would caution you against letting her wade in too deeply regarding subject matter at this age. Just because she CAN read Animal Farm, doesn't mean that she SHOULD. I think some of the books on your list - Animal Farm, The Outsiders... might be more appreciated when she is closer to her teen years. She is at such a precious age and will (too soon) be moving into mature subject matter, I would love to see you capture her reading interests with books that are appropriate for her age group.

How about:
The Secret Garden by Frances Burnett
A Tree Grows in Brooklyn by Betty Smith
Island of the Blue Dolphins by Scott O'Dell
Ella Minnow Pea by Mark Dunn (a modern, quirky allegory about words, letters...)
The Various by Steve Augard - fantasy, fairies and beautiful writing

Huckleberry Finn is a delightful story, but hard to read with all of the dialect. I love the idea of Alice in Woderland and The Hunger Games.

As I said - good job for thinking of this, but please don't rush your little girl. Believe me, she will grow up faster than you can turn a page!

Old 05-14-2013, 11:31 PM

16,131 posts, read 7,102,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinetreelover View Post
I think this is awesome that you are working to develop a reading list for your daughter and I clearly understand that she is an advanced reader (I was too at that age), but I would caution you against letting her wade in too deeply regarding subject matter at this age. Just because she CAN read Animal Farm, doesn't mean that she SHOULD. I think some of the books on your list - Animal Farm, The Outsiders... might be more appreciated when she is closer to her teen years. She is at such a precious age and will (too soon) be moving into mature subject matter, I would love to see you capture her reading interests with books that are appropriate for her age group.

How about:
The Secret Garden by Frances Burnett
A Tree Grows in Brooklyn by Betty Smith
Island of the Blue Dolphins by Scott O'Dell
Ella Minnow Pea by Mark Dunn (a modern, quirky allegory about words, letters...)
The Various by Steve Augard - fantasy, fairies and beautiful writing

Huckleberry Finn is a delightful story, but hard to read with all of the dialect. I love the idea of Alice in Woderland and The Hunger Games.

As I said - good job for thinking of this, but please don't rush your little girl. Believe me, she will grow up faster than you can turn a page!
While I agree with you that she's probably too young for Animal Farm, if only because she's not going to really understand the politics of it, I disagree about limiting her to age-appropriate books. Her mom said she's gifted and can handle mature material, but her reading has dropped off recently. I wonder if she's bored with the books she has to read for school.

I was a pretty advanced reader, but I only ever read books when I had to from first or second grade until I was eleven. At that time, I discovered a book on my mother's bookshelf that inspired my imagination and turned me into an avid reader. It was called The Mirror by Marlys Millhiser. I don't even know if it's in print anymore (though I'm told I can still find it on Amazon through book dealers). Were it not for me reading that mature book, I may have never really picked up the joy of reading for pleasure.

My advice to the mother is don't necessarily include the classics. Give her something she can relate to now and not have to dissect to find symbolism or hidden meanings. It's summer, let her read something fun. The Hunger Games and Harry Potter (one of my favorites even as an adult) are excellent books to inspire. But I've got to be honest, I would have viewed reading Huck Finn and Alice and Wonderland as a chore.

Old 05-15-2013, 09:00 AM

I'm not sure Animal Farm is too advanced at her age. Sure, she wont understand all of it but thats kind of the point. It will get here thinking critically and wonder what its about which is what I am going for. I am also going to be quizzing her and talking about each book after she reads it (mainly to make sure she actually did read it and now look up a summary online) so she will be able to ask and put things together. But, I might read it again tonight to make sure. It's been three or four years since I read it last. I read The Stand by Stephen King when I was 10 years old and started reading Dean Koontz as well because I was bored with YA stuff already. I

I am only including Huck Finn because as she enters 5th grade, they do Missouri history and Mark Twain is a big part of that. This will help her get a head start on whats going to be a huge part of her education next year.

Alice in Wonderland is an easy read and I definitely dont view it as a chore. I read it last week. It is very easy to read and enjoyable, it is one of my all-time favorite books.

Oh, by the way, I'm her father!

I'm also considering the following:

Indian in the Cupboard by Lynne Reid Banks - one of my favorite books when I was a kid.
Bridge to Terabithia by Katherine Paterson
Hatchet by Gary Paulsen
Charlotte's Web
The Fault in Our Stars by John Green
Farenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury
The Lion, The Witch, and the Wardrobe by CS Lewis
Coraline by Neil Gaiman
Close to Famous by Joan Bauer
Legend by Marie Lu

Old 05-15-2013, 09:22 AM

3,182 posts, read 6,821,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2 View Post
Indian in the Cupboard by Lynne Reid Banks - one of my favorite books when I was a kid.
Bridge to Terabithia by Katherine Paterson
Hatchet by Gary Paulsen
Charlotte's Web
The Fault in Our Stars by John Green
Farenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury
The Lion, The Witch, and the Wardrobe by CS Lewis
Coraline by Neil Gaiman
Close to Famous by Joan Bauer
Legend by Marie Lu
Love this whole list!

Old 05-15-2013, 11:39 AM

9,238 posts, read 20,089,113 times
The Book Thief by Marcus Zusak, a book I learned about here on C-D. Not written intentionally for teens, but shows up as "YA" since many school districts have added it to reading lists. It's the story of a young German orphan girl during WWII, and her wonderfully inspirational discovery and love of reading books.

Old 05-15-2013, 12:00 PM

17,336 posts, read 28,713,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
The Book Thief by Marcus Zusak, a book I learned about here on C-D. Not written intentionally for teens, but shows up as "YA" since many school districts have added it to reading lists. It's the story of a young German orphan girl during WWII, and her wonderfully inspirational discovery and love of reading books.
Exactly what I was going to suggest.

Old 05-15-2013, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
Everyone I know that has read that book has said it is dreadfully boring. I actually have it but never opened it for that reason.

Old 05-15-2013, 02:35 PM

3,751 posts, read 6,610,435 times
I like PineTree's list, and yours is quite good as well.

Lord of the Flies
Twig
Sasha, My Friend (might make her cry at the end)
Being a girl, she may by the typical girl horse freak, Walter Farley's, The Black Stallion series.
Unlike many series where the story is the 'same' in each book, The Black Stallion is totally new adventure with each book.
Being an advanced reader she might enjoy any of Anne McCaffrey's books.
ETA: anything by Charles DeLint.

Old 05-15-2013, 03:15 PM

238 posts, read 275,169 times
Diary of Anne Frank?

I loved Judy Blume when I was her age..my fave was Are You There God, it's Me, Margaret
The Giver was a good read
Mildred Taylor's Roll of Thunder Hear My Cry and Let the Circle Be Unbroken were thought provoking especially in regards to race relations
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or