U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2007, 06:10 AM

13,036 posts, read 22,698,668 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Averie-Jay View Post
I'd never heard of Bertie Wooster before. I looked him up on Wiki, but that only goes so far. What is it about this Wooster character that you admire so much?
You'll have to read the books! I don't really admire him as such but his lifestyle sounds about perfect. Endless travel in luxury, a lot of fun , beautiful cars, and with a faithful butler like Jeeves I would never need for anything ! I would certainly like to live in his world where nothing worse even happens than policeman's helmet being stolen in Idyllic English villages.... A very English series of books. I recommend the DVD series with Hugh Laurie ( of "House" fame) and Stephen Fry.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2007, 06:43 AM

2,637 posts, read 6,176,933 times
There's this fella from the Bible called God. It'd be pretty neat to be Him.

Old 11-03-2007, 10:17 AM

13,395 posts, read 41,918,897 times
Maria in The Little White Horse

Scout in to Kill A Mockingbird

And Elizabeth Bennet.
I just finished this book:Mr. Darcy Takes A Wife
Thus far I had resisted all the sequential add-on Bennet/Darcy novels. But I had picked this one up, looked at a few pages--and bought it. It is an absolute Regency Riot, with some scorching love scenes, breathless rescues, lost sons, and of course some Wickham shenanigans. And everyone still seems pretty much in character.

Old 11-03-2007, 08:13 PM
LML

7,110 posts, read 8,385,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseketeer View Post
You'll have to read the books! I don't really admire him as such but his lifestyle sounds about perfect. Endless travel in luxury, a lot of fun , beautiful cars, and with a faithful butler like Jeeves I would never need for anything ! I would certainly like to live in his world where nothing worse even happens than policeman's helmet being stolen in Idyllic English villages.... A very English series of books. I recommend the DVD series with Hugh Laurie ( of "House" fame) and Stephen Fry.
The DVDs are priceless. Love them.

Old 11-03-2007, 11:04 PM

237 posts, read 1,024,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cil View Post
Maria in The Little White Horse

Scout in to Kill A Mockingbird

And Elizabeth Bennet.
I just finished this book:Mr. Darcy Takes A Wife
Thus far I had resisted all the sequential add-on Bennet/Darcy novels. But I had picked this one up, looked at a few pages--and bought it. It is an absolute Regency Riot, with some scorching love scenes, breathless rescues, lost sons, and of course some Wickham shenanigans. And everyone still seems pretty much in character.
Who wrote Mr Darcy Takes a Wife? I'd be interested in it myself.

Old 11-05-2007, 04:44 PM

11,715 posts, read 18,604,810 times
Quote:
Linda Berdoll, right Cil? I read that series too. They seldom leave the bedroom..or the carriage...or any other room in Pemberley... you get the drift.

A more serious take for the P&P fan is a series by Pamela Aidan. It's P&P in three volumes from Darcy's point of view. Rather dry but a must read if you're an addict like me.

Any other recomendations, Cil or Averie-Jay?

Old 11-05-2007, 07:33 PM

6,563 posts, read 13,256,409 times
Stu Redman from Stephen King's "The Stand".... Always felt that I'd like to experience the world with just me in it for a time.....

Old 11-06-2007, 03:06 AM

13,395 posts, read 41,918,897 times
Quote:
It's in the link, Averie.
Yes, Debsi, it's Linda Berdoll. I have not read her other two books, nor any other author's "sequels." I will check out Aidan's books.

I am definitely an Austen fan, but not a scholar.
However, I always did prefer the 1982 BBC TV version of Pride and Prejudice to the later Colin Firth movie.

Another character I very much like: Henry De Tamble in The Time Traveler's Wife
Henry is tall, skinny, dark, dashing, intelligent, tender and challenging.
Being him or his lover Clare would be a whole lot of trouble, but never boring.

Old 11-06-2007, 03:59 AM

8,567 posts, read 15,181,520 times
I'd like to be Clint Eastwood's Dirty 'Do you feel lucky punk?' Harry.
I fancy myself to be someone who has no patience for criminals and less of such for revolving-door justice as well as politicians who wilt under the pressure of the majority. Like Harry I find it necessary to break societal rules to stop the madmen society allows to roam free.
Too bad Dirty Harry isn’t a character from a book.
So in that case I’d like to be Robin Hood. I always wanted to rob the rich and give to the poor and oppressed. I find nothing wrong with the simple heroics of a man who steps forward to fight for honour and better lives for the dismal.

If only life would be that simple.

Quote:
Sheriff of Nottingham: Wait a minute. Robin Hood steals money from my pocket, forcing me to hurt the public, and they love him for it?

Old 11-06-2007, 06:05 PM

7,856 posts, read 11,082,331 times
Default For my free spirited imagination:

Alice, of course!

"Alice In Wonderland."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or