U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-03-2007, 07:38 PM

325 posts, read 1,009,621 times

Advertisements

I joined the Doubleday book club not so long ago and found it to be a pretty nice club. Years ago I didnt like it because although the prices were discounted you werent saving anything because of the shipping and handling. Now they have it so that if you spend at least 25 s & h is only 2.49My only complaint is that they dont always have the newest books. They do a great job of carrying a decent selection but they dont always have what you want. They have your heavy hitters, but for example they dont carry Water for Elephants. I had to pick that up at the bookstore. Is anyone else a member of doubleday or a similar book club?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2007, 02:18 AM

10,343 posts, read 23,044,325 times
Ive been with book clubs for many years. But i quit ordering the books from them when i could get them much cheaper from other sources or for free. QPB has where all books are $10 each, so once in awhile i will order from them instead of an online book-seller.
But what i've hated the most about book clubs, they will sock it to you for shipping. Seems Doubleday is figuring that out by offering a lower shipping price.
Shipping should be free when you order $25 or more IMO. Amazon always gives me free shipping. So does B&N.

Old 11-05-2007, 03:39 AM

13,395 posts, read 41,918,897 times
I thought you meant the kind where people meet and talk about the book.

I was a member of Quality Paperback Book club for years and years but finally dropped out. I think my life got too busy to deal with the previews and occasional returns, and yes, shipping is expensive. I did enjoy some of their out-of-mainstream selections.

Old 11-05-2007, 06:21 AM

10,194 posts, read 25,446,856 times
I was a member of several book clubs, including an art book club, but found generally I didn't like the picks, and ultimately cancelled my membership.

Old 11-22-2007, 06:22 PM

4,597 posts, read 10,680,393 times
Off and on over the years, I've subscribed to different Book Clubs -- most recently because it was more convenient to choose books and have them delivered to me (I had surgery, and health problems, and couldn't drive). Generally, though, they are a disappointment because it becomes so expensive, in spite of specials and sales, and holiday offers.

Two that I have enjoyed have been Quality Paperback Book Club and Reader's Subscription. If you collect books, and want nice volumes, you could try a club like The Folio Society, but the books are both beautiful and expensive.

Generally, some of the best deals are ordering books online from Amazon or Barnes & Noble. They come quickly too! I received my Harry Potter book(s) in the mail just several hours after all of the midnight parties at B&N -- by 10:00 a.m., the mailman had it to my door.

Old 11-25-2007, 07:30 PM

500 posts, read 982,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by princesspolamalu View Post
...but for example they dont carry Water for Elephants.
Doubleday Book Club is a Random House Publishing subsidiary. Water for Elephants is published by Algonquin, which is distributed by Workman.

Doubleday is gonna give you books published by Random House
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books