Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-03-2013, 03:17 PM

2,007 posts, read 2,903,046 times

Advertisements

Hi, I read all the Nancy books when I was a kid and of course loved them. I think my 8 year old son MIGHT like them, but I want to pick the right one to start. Could you give me some recommendations? I know it shouldn;t matter that the heroine is a girl, but he's a boy and seems to gravitate towards books where the major characters are boys. But he loves mysteries, so I thought I'd try. He gets scared kind of easily so I would like to choose some that aren't too creepy. I don't recall any of them being particularly scary, but I read them when I was older and didn't find too many things scary like he does. Thanks! By the way, we have read a few of the Hardy Boys and he liked them but thought they took a long time to get to the exciting parts - I don't remmeber the ND books being like that. I like the quaint language but my son was laughing at all the descriptions of "the stout boy," "he dated her regularly" and "Mr. Hardy gave them a stern look" after the boys revved their motorcycles
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2013, 03:30 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,593,655 times
I think it's fine. However, the Nancy Drewbooks were rewritten to conform with newer times and suffered. If you wish to have the image of Nancy's "red roadster" you'l need to check ebay for editions published before 1959. As a boy I read many books published in earlier times and enjoyed them immensely.

There are four Nancy Drew movies as well; they're both entertaining and wholesome.

Nancy Drew - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 06-09-2013, 09:29 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,888,749 times
Try Donald Sobol's "Encyclopedia Brown" series, if your son hasn't already discovered them. They are sure-fire with eight-year-old boys, consisting of a very knowledgeable boy "detective" who solves ten short mysteries in each book - readers can match wits, or check out the official solutions in the back of the book. Great fun.

Old 06-09-2013, 11:39 PM

995 posts, read 1,114,921 times
My sons really liked the Encyclopedia Brown books also. But I seriously couldn't recall any other mysteries for that age group.

So, I decided to play google and came up with this link showing a few to choose from: Bookworm for Kids: Mysteries

Old 06-13-2013, 11:48 AM

1,815 posts, read 3,166,275 times
I'm female and I never really cared for Nancy Drew...I thought she was a little too perfect to be believable. I preferred Trixie Belden, who actually had a personality, and I also loved Encyclopedia Brown. The Bobbsey Twins were ok too but might be too dated to hold his interest.

Old 06-13-2013, 12:13 PM

12,535 posts, read 15,195,845 times
When I was a kid, and the girls were all ready Nancy Drew, the boys were all reading The Hardy Boys.

Old 06-15-2013, 09:31 AM

1,378 posts, read 4,360,705 times
John Grisham has written some books for younger readers, not sure of the target age for his books. Also, James Patterson has written some books for kids.

I read both Hardy and Drew as a boy and liked them both. I did like Drew better, the Hardy boys seemed a little goody two shoes for me. I guess since Nancy was out doing "guy things", that made her seem a little more wild to me. I think she had a boyfriend in the series, so she did have a sexual flair about her.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books