U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2013, 05:49 PM

220 posts, read 234,768 times

Advertisements

Hi, everyone! I was wondering if you all could help a reader out. I am going to be traveling abroad soon with 15-hour flights and would like to read much of that time away. I'm a primarily non-fiction reader but am looking for something a little less dry to pass the time. Does anyone have any suggestions for me? I'm willing to read a series, possibly George RR Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire series (I love the Harry Potter books, liked Stieg Larsson's Millennium Trilogy, and The Hunger Games were amusing enough). I've never read any books by David Sedaris or Carl Hiaasen but I am intrigued by them after reading about their new books. I will also read non-fiction if it's an interesting story; I've been looking at The Girls of Atomic City and The Astronaut Wives Club as possibilities. I'm up for anything, though!

One last thing - I have to be able to download them to my Kindle. I love physical books but I want to pack as lightly as I can.

Any suggestions, or opinions of the above books/authors, will be appreciated! Thank you in advance!

Cheers,
midge
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2013, 05:53 PM

17,336 posts, read 28,751,913 times
One of the few books that I'll ever re-read:

Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: King Perry

Old 06-17-2013, 10:16 PM

15,895 posts, read 16,031,457 times
I suggest Parnassus on Wheels by Christopher Morley. I chuckled a lot while reading the book but there is also some slightly heavy stuff in it, too. But, overall it is a delight.

Enjoy your flight. Wow, that's a long time in the air.

Old 06-18-2013, 04:25 AM

3,366 posts, read 2,618,497 times
I know I have recommended these before but here goes
-Predictably Irrational by Dan Ariely.Actually anything by Dan Ariely. It's extremely intriguing- behavioral economics but he has such a nice way of conveying it. It's totally entertaining at least to me.
Predictably Irrational, Revised and Expanded Edition: The Hidden Forces That Shape Our Decisions: Dan Ariely: 9780061353246: Amazon.com: Books

Also Dandelion Hunter by Rebecca Lerner. It's non -fiction very engagingly told ;with lots of fun tidbits and great characters (its set in Portland so there is a bit of Portlandia in thereabout plants and their uses and the way we have kind of gotten away from basics. It might sound dry but it is most definitely not.
Dandelion Hunter: Foraging the Urban Wilderness: Rebecca Lerner: 9780762780624: Amazon.com: Books

They are both available on kindle.
I just read Parnassus on Wheels thanks to this forum and it is , as Ketabcha mentioned, a delight.

Old 06-18-2013, 07:41 AM

1,833 posts, read 2,924,057 times
I'd suggest the Outlander series by Diana Gabaldon. Wonderful, wonderful, wonderful series!

Amazon.com: outlander series - Kindle Edition: Books

Old 06-18-2013, 12:04 PM

10 posts, read 21,780 times
I love Non-Fiction and just sent this list to a co-worker recently. These are are all very good and not "boring" as some non-fiction tends tobe. The only fiction is 11/22/63 which is Stephen King but I really enjoyed it and that is saying alot for a non Stephen King reader.

Devil in the White City Erik Larsen The best Erik Larsen IMOI
n the Garden of Beasts Erik Larsen
Isaac's Storm Erik Larsen
Thunderstruck Erik Larsen
Under the Banner of Heaven Jon Krakauer A very disturbing story but engrossing
A Thousand Lives Julia Scheeres Story of Jim Jones, his followers and the mass suicide in Guyana
Destiny of the Republic Candice Millard Incredible story about President Garfield's assassination and the medical care at the time
Stories I Only Tell my Friends Rob Lowe
The Six Wives of Henry the Vlll Alison Weir
Cleopatra A Life Stacy Schiff
In Cold Blood Truman Capote
11/22/1963 Stephen King Fiction - Not a Stephen King fan at all but this was great. Took a little bit to get going.

Mary

Old 06-18-2013, 12:33 PM

17,336 posts, read 28,751,913 times
Oh, yes, as Mary just mentioned... In Cold Blood. Wowsers!

Old 06-18-2013, 09:07 PM

220 posts, read 234,768 times
Thanks for all of the recs so far! I remember you all talking about Parnassus on Wheels before on the "What Book Are You Reading" thread. I'll try that one.

Mayvenne-I have Predictably Irrational on my "to read" list and had recommended it to my husband in the past when he was looking for a book. He enjoyed it and I am sure I would, too.

Mary-it seems we have similar tastes. I have read Devil in the White City and In The Garden of Beasts already. I've read Krakauer's Into Thin Air and loved it. I read Destiny of the Republic earlier this year. I own In Cold Blood but haven't read it yet; maybe I'll bring that one with me. I've also got pretty much all of the rest of the books you've recommended on my "to read" list. I will have to come to you more often for recommendations!

Ketchaba-Sometimes I wondered why I agreed to a 15-hour flight. But Australia is calling!

Thanks again, everyone!

Old 06-19-2013, 05:37 AM

9,417 posts, read 14,748,341 times
For starters, let me point out that A Song of Ice and Fire is very different to Harry Potter. It's violent, profane, dark, and heavy. Harry Potter is written for young adults and good always triumphs over bad in the end, ASOIAF is brutal and dark even for some fully grown adults and the lines between good and bad are constantly blurred. Apart from being classed as fantasy and containing classic fantasy elements like dragons, they are nothing alike. Of course, that doesn't mean one can't appreciate both, just saying that you shouldn't pick up Game of Thrones and expect it to be like Harry Potter.

If you like adult fantasy which isn't quite as profane as ASOIAF, consider Lord of the Rings. If you like young adult fantasy, I recommend the series His Dark Materials, the first book was made into a movie.

Whatever you do, don't read Michael Critchon's Airframe. Although Critchon's other books might be good for consideration.

Old 06-19-2013, 01:52 PM

6,057 posts, read 7,060,492 times
Harry Potter for grownups - Sergei Lukyanenko - his four volume "Watch" series. Amazon.com: Sergei Lukyanenko,: Books, Biography, Blog, Audiobooks, Kindle Available with Kindle.

And non-fiction, The Tiger by John Vaillant, also available with Kindle. He practically created a whole new form of writing in that book. It is exceptional. Amazon.com: The Tiger: A True Story of Vengeance and Survival (Vintage Departures) (9780307389046): John Vaillant: Books
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or