Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2013, 05:30 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,480,254 times

Advertisements

Haven't had a book grip me for awhile. The last ones were the Girl with the Dragon Tattoo series.

I just requested several books by Yrsa Sigurðardóttir online from my library, but they're all checked out right now.

I don't mind being scared, but I don't like books about demons and devils (like the Exorcist -type stories). Must be my Catholic upbringing, but they give me nightmares even though I'm lapsed LOL!

I find Steven King a bit too creepy.

I find serial-type crime books annoying - where I feel like I need to go back and read all twenty novels with so-and-so the star detective, in order to know what's going on. I prefer stand-alone books without the recurring darling detective.

I like a good ghost story, too. In fact, a good ghost story/mystery would be perfect!

Any suggestions will be really appreciated! Thanks!

Oh, and they can be old or new. I don't care. Just looking for a good read.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2013, 06:39 PM

10,049 posts, read 18,056,896 times
From the title I was thinking maybe we liked the same kind of books ... but from your post, maybe not. The biggest difference I think is that I LOVE series books, mostly because if I find a new author who just wrote book #20 and I end up loving the book & author, there are 19 books that I can go back and read!

I had a similar thread a few months ago and got lots of great suggestions, so I'm sure people will chime in.

I feel soooooooo sorry for people who never learned the absolute joy of reading for pleasure!!

Old 07-03-2013, 07:27 PM

22,913 posts, read 28,249,166 times
Try Michael Koryta's The Cypress House. A really good stand-alone thriller with a good setting and mild supernatural element. Author Michael Koryta

Koryta's The Prophet is also a good stand-alone thriller. No supernatural element to that one though. Author Michael Koryta

Old 07-03-2013, 07:37 PM
NCN

21,662 posts, read 25,617,651 times
Does your library have a website where you can put in an author and get other authors that you might like? I have not updated my library card and cannot get to the NCLive website or I would look for you. Maybe you know some other library users from North Carolina and they will help you with this or maybe your library has something like it. I imagine most libraries do or maybe Amazon. I have never tried it on Amazon.

Who is your favorite mystery writer?

Old 07-03-2013, 09:43 PM

12,054 posts, read 23,338,402 times
I just finished The Woman by David Bishop and it was a little bit of a thriller. I liked it even though it started out slow, and now I plan to read several of his books. Got two of them for free on bookbub.

Old 07-03-2013, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
Does your library have a website where you can put in an author and get other authors that you might like? I have not updated my library card and cannot get to the NCLive website or I would look for you. Maybe you know some other library users from North Carolina and they will help you with this or maybe your library has something like it. I imagine most libraries do or maybe Amazon. I have never tried it on Amazon.

Who is your favorite mystery writer?
My library doesn't have that feature. So hard to think of writers, I read so much. I love Lisa Gardner, but I've read everything she's written so far.

I loved Stieg Larsson's books, but of course, he died.

I don't like political thrillers or spy novels. My pea brain can't wrap itself around all the politics or conspiracy theories LOL! I don't want to have to think that hard when I read fiction.

Old 07-03-2013, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
Try Michael Koryta's The Cypress House. A really good stand-alone thriller with a good setting and mild supernatural element. Author Michael Koryta

Koryta's The Prophet is also a good stand-alone thriller. No supernatural element to that one though. Author Michael Koryta
Ooooooo that looks good! Just looked it up online on my library website and it's on the shelves woo hoo! Will go nab it tomorrow. Thanks!

Old 07-03-2013, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SXMGirl View Post
I just finished The Woman by David Bishop and it was a little bit of a thriller. I liked it even though it started out slow, and now I plan to read several of his books. Got two of them for free on bookbub.
Hmm, my library doesn't have that one. I saw a couple of titles by a David Bishop, it said they were science fiction? Wonder if it's the same guy or not.

Old 07-05-2013, 03:31 PM

10,049 posts, read 18,056,896 times
Mary Higgins Clark writes stand-alone mystery/thrillers. I have to admit, though, that I like her EARLY books much more than her later ones (haven't read her in several years now) ... in many of the later ones I could tell who the villain was basically as soon as he was introduced. That was disappointing as I LIKE to be surprised. In her later books her heroines always seemed too perfect as well (IMHO).

Old 07-05-2013, 03:49 PM

2,061 posts, read 4,133,552 times
If you are into area specific sleuths you may enjoy JA Jance. She does a female sheriff in southeast AZ, Brady~~ a female stick my nose in from Sedona, Ellie Mcbeal ~ and a male homicide detective in Seattle ,Washington.

Another would be Tony Hillerman. His series is about a Navaho policeman in the four corners region. Kind of gives you a look at indian customs.

third suggestion would be Sue Grafton A is for, etc. about female PI in Santa Therisa, cal.

Need more? I've a couple others but trying to match set criteria.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books