Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2013, 09:54 AM

85 posts, read 143,278 times

Advertisements

If you like historical fiction thrillers/mysteries, you really have to check out C.J. Sansom's Shardlake series! All mystery/thrillers, set during the time of Henry VIII's reign. Great mystery and great historical fiction rolled into one! There are 5 in the series, and I loved all 5!

Dissolution
Dark Fire
Soverign
Revelation
Heartstone
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2013, 10:13 AM

85 posts, read 143,278 times
Almost forgot - there's also a series by Ariana Franklin (pen name for Diana Norman). It's set in medieval England. I haven't read them myself just yet, though I'm planning to in the coming weeks. I have heard good things about it though, as well as some of the historical fiction she wrote under her real name. She died last year (I think, may have been 2 years), and her daughter finished her last book in the series, which is due out in January.

Mistress of the Art of Death
The Serpent's Tale
Grave Goods
A Murderous Procession
Winter Siege (UK release set for January 2, 1014, not sure date of US release)

Old 08-05-2013, 10:21 PM

1,696 posts, read 1,714,307 times
Rhys Bowen has written a very popular series about an Irish female private investigator trying to get her business off the ground in turn-of-the-century NYC.

Just google her name.

Old 08-06-2013, 03:38 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,695,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sally_Sparrow View Post
Anyone have any good recommendations?

I read a lot of contemporary mystery and suspense fiction. I always have the opinion though that anything enjoyable (with regard to tv and books) is that much MORE enjoyable if it was set at least 100 years ago or more. I love that show Copper for that reason.

A little spook is great. A little spook that takes place on some desolate farmhouse in 1870, even better... right?!

Anyway just wondered if someone might have suggestions.
I didn't read all of the responses so apologies if this has been mentioned: I absolutely adore the Sebastian St. Cyr series by C.S. Harris. It is set in and around London in the early 19th century.

Author C. S. Harris

Also, the "Accomplished Mysteries" by Dara England and the "Dr. Alexandra Gladstone" mysteries by Paula Paul.

A one-off (so far) that I also loved:
The Inquiry Agent by William King - this one is available as an ebook.

Old 08-06-2013, 09:58 PM

1,696 posts, read 1,714,307 times
I was just stopping by to recommend the C.S. Harris books but Tigerlily beat me to it!

Do read 'em in order though.

I'll try your other suggestions, Tigerlily!

Old 08-08-2013, 06:20 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,695,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fancy-Schmancy View Post
I was just stopping by to recommend the C.S. Harris books but Tigerlily beat me to it!

Do read 'em in order though.

I'll try your other suggestions, Tigerlily!
The C.S. Harris series is so good, isn't it? I was absolutely captivated right from the beginning.
And yes, definitely have to read these in order.

Just found out that Goodreads has a Victorian and Regency Mystery Novel list.
It includes the C.S. Harris series as well as Wilkie Collins (The Lady in White, The Moonstone...), Anne Perry, Deanna Raybourn...

Of course, my "want to read" list just got a lot longer.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books