Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2017, 02:30 AM

1,713 posts, read 1,106,961 times

Advertisements

I saw Arrival while visiting my Dad over Christmas and it reminded me how much I enjoy the more metaphysical SF and fantasy that explores big ideas and asks some pretty big questions.

Despite growing up on Doctor Who (the original series), HG Wells, John Wyndham and the Dune books, I took a left turn into crime fiction twenty odd years ago and remain largely unread in contemporary SF. I'd like to correct this with a spot of Dan Simmons for openers, and would welcome other author recommendations. Post apocalyptic settings and future dystopias as socio-political allegories encouraged.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2017, 07:24 AM

11,110 posts, read 9,810,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scribbles76 View Post
I saw Arrival while visiting my Dad over Christmas and it reminded me how much I enjoy the more metaphysical SF and fantasy that explores big ideas and asks some pretty big questions.

Despite growing up on Doctor Who (the original series), HG Wells, John Wyndham and the Dune books, I took a left turn into crime fiction twenty odd years ago and remain largely unread in contemporary SF. I'd like to correct this with a spot of Dan Simmons for openers, and would welcome other author recommendations. Post apocalyptic settings and future dystopias as socio-political allegories encouraged.
First, I'd just like to say that I think post-apocalyptic fiction often gets shoehorned into the label 'science fiction' when most of it really contains no real futuristic science as part of its fiction. Anyway, that said...

The Road, by Cormac McCarthy
Years after an apocalyptic event (the novel doesn't spell it out, but in an interview the author says he imagined it was a comet hitting the Earth) a man and his boy travel through what was once the American South struggling to survive. Between all the dust kicked up into the atmosphere by the impact, and the smoke from the massive fires which followed, the planet is perpetually shrouded in thick clouds that block sunlight. No plants grow and the biological cycle has broken down. All that remains to eat are increasingly rare stores of canned goods from 'before'. And other humans.

To say that this book is searing understates it. Parts of it are a gut-punch, but never gratuitously so. McCarthy's prose is aching beautiful even when it concerns a wasted land, and the tale is gripping even as it is at its heart about love and innocence and hope over despair. The book transcends the post-apocalyptic genre. Highly, highly recommended.

The Road - By Cormac McCarthy - Books - Review - The New York Times

The Dog Stars, by Peter Heller
A decade after a pandemic kills almost everyone, the protagonist and his dog and his dour survivalist-type companion live at a rural airport north of Denver. He flies a Cessna, scouting nearby areas for game and intruders. And for years he ponders a brief message that came over his aircraft's radio one day, a snippet from the control tower at Grand Junction, across the state and beyond the there-and-back range of his small plane.

Eventually, yearning with the hope of some sort of order or semi-civilization, he decides to go to Grand Junction and search for the source of that message. Entertaining and thoughtful. Highly recommended.

'Dog Stars' Dwells On The Upside Of Apocalypse : NPR

Old 02-05-2017, 07:24 PM

375 posts, read 296,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scribbles76 View Post

Well you gotta read Format McCarthys The Road if you're into post apocalyptic stuff. Though I'm not sure that book falls into the category of sci Fi.

But one of the old school masters for dystopian sci Fi is the great Phillip k Dick. He was pretty prolific so if you get into him that will keep you busy for awhile.

Ursula LaGuinne has some good cerebral sci Fi novels that might also be right up your alley. She can create some very believable and in depth characters and always offered great insights into the various peccodillos of society.

Old 02-05-2017, 07:34 PM

6,560 posts, read 14,457,035 times
My favorite is C.J. Cherryh. Depth, texture, and breadth in SF writing.

Old 02-06-2017, 06:55 PM

12,270 posts, read 11,327,541 times
Intelligent SF can also be highly entertaining.

Neal Asher writes thoughtful and exciting SF. Dark Intelligence followed by War Factory is a great introduction.

Charles Stross is a fiercely intelligent English SF author who has written numerous books including the wonderfully entertaining Laundry Files series starting with the Atrocity Archives

Old 02-07-2017, 11:27 AM

1,818 posts, read 2,685,048 times
Octavia Butler's The Xenogenesis Trilogy

You mentioned Dan Simmons -- I am assuming you're referring to the Hyperion series?

Right now I'm reading a trilogy, Pure, Fused (and I can't remember the third one) by Julianna Baggott. Not sure if it would be "thinking" enough for you, but she has some new ideas and a new take on the "end of the world" genre

Old 02-07-2017, 12:14 PM

47,545 posts, read 6,391,409 times
Peter F. Hamilton has written some good science fiction books. I enjoyed "Pandora's Star" and it's look at the rejuvenation process in which people 300-plus years old can appear younger than their grandchildren.

It also combines some elements of crime fiction and is one in a series.

https://www.amazon.com/Pandoras-Star.../dp/0345479211

Old 02-07-2017, 12:41 PM

60 posts, read 68,607 times
,A few that I have enjoyed are Cantanle for Leibowitz by Miller in my opinion one of the best; Alas Babylon-P. Frank, Lucifer Hammer, Earth Abides, and recently on a different note The Martian by Weir
H

Old 02-07-2017, 11:11 PM

1,713 posts, read 1,106,961 times
Many thanks, everyone. To the library I go with all your suggestions in hand.

Old 02-17-2017, 05:27 PM

Location: Lakewood NJ/Murrells Inlet SC/ N. Naples FL/Swainton NJ
4,026 posts, read 6,543,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red On The Noodle View Post

You mentioned Dan Simmons -- I am assuming you're referring to the Hyperion series?
I love SF and have read most of the classics. Some I consider great but the ones I consider greatest are the ones that stick with me and I think about from time to time even though many years have past since I read them. The Hyperion series falls into that category. I really should read the series again!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books