U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2013, 03:07 PM

12,539 posts, read 13,435,207 times

Advertisements

Watching TV is passive. Reading a book is active, and requires an active mind, a good imagination of your own, and a good attention span. Of the two, reading is the far more intellectually stimulating because it requires your brain to analyze, envision, and put into context. I can't speak for others, but I retain information better when I read it. Except for things that are obviously visual in nature, like art, if you put the same material on TV and into a book, I'm far more likely to remember it after I've read it than if I had watched it.

Not that there is anything wrong with watching TV. It has its place. It's fun to watch a good movie with a date or a good game with some friends. But by and large, reading is the more intellectual pursuit. Watching too much TV will rot your brain, but you can never read too many books.

If I had to choose between a life without TV and a life without books, I'd choose the life without TV. In fact, I once went an entire year without a television. I really didn't miss it.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2013, 03:35 PM

11,130 posts, read 7,222,585 times
at this point in time, i have cut my tv viewing drastically and increased my book reading to keep pace with the extra time. i only really watch 2 channels now; TCM & TWC. everynow and then i will tune in to PBS and catch frontline or nova, and TWC is tuned in only for the local on the 8s, which only show when there isn't some disaster or weather calamity feature or some other filler show. if i could cut tv viewing to zero i would, but TCM is the pearl of tv scheduling in a mass of oyster viseral.

Old 10-10-2015, 03:48 AM

1 posts, read 1,015 times
I think that television can be entertaining and even informative but in my opinion there's nothing like a good book. It feels great to read a book. It's good for concentration, reflections, memory, it feeds your imagination, etc.,etc. I think it is foolish to compare reading to television and movies as if you feel Smarter than everyone else who reads. If there's someone projecting their own laziness, insecurity, and stupidity i think it's you. Turn off the tube and try reading again ya bloke.

Old 10-10-2015, 02:51 PM

14,017 posts, read 18,857,425 times
It all depends on what you're reading or what you're watching. There's plenty of mindless trash available either way, and also plenty of good stuff.

Old 10-10-2015, 03:16 PM

10,575 posts, read 7,934,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilac110 View Post
Watching TV is passive. Reading a book is active, and requires an active mind, a good imagination of your own, and a good attention span. Of the two, reading is the far more intellectually stimulating because it requires your brain to analyze, envision, and put into context. I can't speak for others, but I retain information better when I read it. Except for things that are obviously visual in nature, like art, if you put the same material on TV and into a book, I'm far more likely to remember it after I've read it than if I had watched it.
This is simply incorrect. Both require different aspects of imagination.

In television, one does not have to imagine visually. But one does have to expend a lot of imagination getting into the mind of the characters. In a narrative of words, pages upon pages are expending describing the thoughts and intents and emotions and motivations of characters. In television (the same holds for films, of course) we must deduce all of those things from what we see happening and from dialogue - which, of course, books have in addition to their in-the-mind narrative descriptions. Some television (and films) have voice-over narration, but at most such narration - which is completely absent in most television and films - is but a small fraction of the internal narration found within a novel. In novels, we typically live inside the mind of the protagonist, and thus get to know him or her intimately, while imagining the visuals of the described world. In television and film, we observe the protagonist and have to deduce most aspects of his or her mind.

This is why there's so much discussion of the behavior of television characters like Rick Grimes or Walter White or Tony Soprano - in books, much of what we have to imagine and deduce for ourselves would be spelled out in detail.

As I suggested over two years ago in this thread, people tend to convince themselves that whichever medium they prefer is the 'better' one - most people are self-absorbed that way and need the validation that their preferences are the 'good' ones.

Old 10-10-2015, 05:18 PM

995 posts, read 969,461 times
"A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies, the man who never reads lives only one."
- George R.R. Martin

Old 10-16-2015, 12:56 PM

35,929 posts, read 35,882,622 times
I'm in a nonfiction book discussion group. We vote on books to read and discuss. There are times I have books to read that I dread because never in a million years would I select them to read on my own. I rarely finish them. But the ones I do read and like, stay with me longer than any TV show.

Old 10-20-2015, 12:00 PM

3,292 posts, read 1,837,659 times
I wish OP were kidding ,but am guessing not. Books are a mental exercise. They have deeper and better information than ANY alternative, TV, the internet, the newspapers or magazines. If it weren't for books we would not be living in a modern world.

Old 10-21-2015, 11:18 AM

4,200 posts, read 5,689,902 times
I like a little TV mixed in with my reading, however it is clearly not a waste of time. It is the time I have reserved for me.

Too much of TV is mindless drivel. Not much brain is required for much of it.

Reading is like me taking my brain out for a walk.

Old 10-21-2015, 09:23 PM

3,208 posts, read 6,897,802 times
I have never learned how to spell a word AND use it in a sentence while watching TV.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books