U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2015, 09:30 PM

8,603 posts, read 5,547,752 times

Advertisements

Sorry, but no. Reading is NEVER a waste of time.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2015, 11:07 AM

9,011 posts, read 8,910,721 times
Lol I thought the question was asked jokingly......
But it's not.
Time spent in front of the tv is truly wasted time...
I call it being dumbed down by the media.
Time w/ a good book- is wisely invested time.

If we encounter a man of rare intellect, we should ask him what books he reads.
– Ralph Waldo Emerson

If there is a book that you want to read, but it hasn’t been written yet, you must be the one to write it.
– Toni Morrison

I find television very educating. Every time somebody turns on the set,
I go into the other room and read a book.
- Groucho Marx

Old 10-22-2015, 02:39 PM

674 posts, read 493,773 times
Books can contain great art.

Language is a beautiful thing; it's one of humanity's oldest institutions, and it's one of the main things that separates us from other species. Books are the high point of art based on language.

A really good book can let me experience some of the most amazing art ever created, and nother else can approximate that. That's not to say that there aren't other forms of art, but the kind present in books requires a page to appreciate.

Even books on tape tend to lose something, since their pace is relentless. Some of the linguistic pyrotechnics put on by my favorite authors demands re-reading and careful contemplation and even occasional visual cues in order to keep up and not miss anything. Any recording, or anything where the pace is set by a machine or by an actor or by any entity other than my attention and imagination, will pull me away from those moments, like a museum worker ushering a gawking visitor out of a showroom because it's closing time, or like a sunset that refuses to linger as long as I'd prefer to appreciate it.

Moreover, books almost always contain much, much more information than anything else. There is nothing anywhere that can compare to books when you want or need to learn something. Some people are convinced that the internet is just as good, but I've found that, especially when you really need to become an expert on something, the internet really only works when you find a .pdf version of a book and read that. Even then, I still like paper books a bit more, though I've got a nice library on my computer.

TV can entertain, but it can rarely enlighten. When you finish a really good book, you're a better person than you were when you started.

Edit: I say this as someone who really likes good movies and who uses them to practice listening skills when I study a language. I don't dislike television completely. I just think that books are better for a lot of things, and so television cannot replace books.

Old 10-26-2015, 08:44 AM

2,651 posts, read 1,506,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by believe007 View Post

I find television very educating. Every time somebody turns on the set,
I go into the other room and read a book.
- Groucho Marx[/b]
Find a topic you love and read!!! Great for the mind and soul. Plus, these days, it is so nice to turn the TV off and curl up with a good book; my books go to cafes with me; when I must dine alone!! Can't imagine my life, without books. (My beautiful Mom introduced me to the library, then, could not drag me away from my reading. TV was not available..........how did we make it?)

Of course, here in Colorado Springs, we have the best library system!! That helps!

Old 10-29-2015, 12:29 PM

73 posts, read 68,908 times
listen up........

TV dulls the mind. Reading improves it and strengthens it.

end of story.

anybody who says otherwise is just tryting to find a way to take the easy way out and watch the idiot box instead of read. LOL.

study after study says that one way to keep your mind intact in old age is to read.

can't say I ever saw a survey where it said to watch the boob tube.

Old 10-29-2015, 04:37 PM

42,661 posts, read 78,379,938 times
Book reading enables the mind to develop the skill of visualizing something on the basis of a verbal description. Which is not a bad thing to know how to do.

The world is divided into two camps: TV watchers who think Dorothy went to Oz wearing ruby slippers, and readers who think they were silver.

Old 10-29-2015, 04:53 PM

7,193 posts, read 2,832,823 times
If you watch good documentaries and read trashy books might be different than reading great books and watching reality TV.

I read and watch some TV. I would watch more TV if more British mysteries were on though. With some of the British mysteries reading them is a lot easier and requires less skills than watching them due to the language difficulties. Occassionaly we have to use the closed captions to understand what was being said. I sure missed the closed caption ability when we were over in the UK talking to people.

Old 10-29-2015, 05:13 PM

13,510 posts, read 15,582,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBigGuy View Post
If you're an avid book reader, this has happened to you more times than you can count: you get several dozen pages into a book or around halfway through before you think, "Man, this book isn't interesting at all. I thought it was going to be good, but I have no interest in going on at all."...
Actually, no. Almost never.

Old 10-29-2015, 06:03 PM

995 posts, read 969,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
I read and watch some TV. I would watch more TV if more British mysteries were on though. With some of the British mysteries reading them is a lot easier and requires less skills than watching them due to the language difficulties. Occassionaly we have to use the closed captions to understand what was being said. I sure missed the closed caption ability when we were over in the UK talking to people.
We use the closed captioning when watching BBC AND PBS all the time lol. I read an article somewhere that said that the British English underwent a big change at some point, and our American accents are closer to the original English of our settlers than the British are currently. I find this fascinating. Will try to find that article.

Old 10-29-2015, 06:34 PM

6,849 posts, read 2,352,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
Actually, no. Almost never.
Absolutely.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books