U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2015, 06:06 PM

41,020 posts, read 50,768,754 times

Advertisements

I have not read all the posts, but of course reading a book is better than TV. The only argument I can muster in favor of TV is that it is so passive an activity that you can do any number of other things at the same time.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2015, 05:18 PM

20,545 posts, read 27,691,233 times
TV shows are limited, books are an endless source of entertainment and learning. Books rule

Old 11-05-2015, 05:28 PM

28,663 posts, read 31,263,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBigGuy View Post
5. Watching T.V. is a greater audio/visual treat than reading books. A T.V. show or movie can stir my imagination far better than words on paper or on a Nook.
That's because the part of your brain that forms mental pictures from reading gets turned off if you never do it. You're basically telling us you like TV because you're mentally lazy and don't want to work that mental muscle. That's not really something I'd advertise about myself.

A love of reading can protect your brain from Alzheimer’s disease, slash stress levels, encourage positive thinking, and fortify friendships. Here's how your brain and body benefit when you crack open a book.

http://www.rd.com/health/wellness/benefits-of-reading/

Old 12-29-2015, 06:28 AM

23 posts, read 16,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
That's because the part of your brain that forms mental pictures from reading gets turned off if you never do it. You're basically telling us you like TV because you're mentally lazy and don't want to work that mental muscle. That's not really something I'd advertise about myself.

A love of reading can protect your brain from Alzheimer’s disease, slash stress levels, encourage positive thinking, and fortify friendships. Here's how your brain and body benefit when you crack open a book.

http://www.rd.com/health/wellness/benefits-of-reading/
I couldn't agree with you more. Reading can help you recover from mild to moderate traumatic brain injuries, and can slow down Alzheimer's/dementia. Both my parents have it and compared to the other patients they're doing pretty well because of it. I always have to remind my mother when she is too depressed to read, she's the one who encouraged me and introduced me to it at a very young age. Thankfully she listens to me most of the time. I think everyone has covered the many positives of reading here. Kudos!

Old 12-29-2015, 11:21 AM

28,663 posts, read 31,263,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine cones View Post
I couldn't agree with you more. Reading can help you recover from mild to moderate traumatic brain injuries, and can slow down Alzheimer's/dementia. Both my parents have it and compared to the other patients they're doing pretty well because of it. I always have to remind my mother when she is too depressed to read, she's the one who encouraged me and introduced me to it at a very young age. Thankfully she listens to me most of the time. I think everyone has covered the many positives of reading here. Kudos!
Speaking of Alheimer's and dementia, there are a lot of fairly simple things you can do to slow down the process, including--but not limited to--nutritional stuff like putting turmeric powder in your food. (I usually put it in coconut milk and then warm it up in the microwave. Turmeric has other health benefits as well).

An excellent book on the subject is: 100 Things You Can Do to Prevent Alzhemier's and Age-Related Memory Loss

Old 12-29-2015, 11:28 AM

3,476 posts, read 3,603,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBigGuy View Post
If you're an avid book reader, this has happened to you more times than you can count: you get several dozen pages into a book or around halfway through before you think, "Man, this book isn't interesting at all. I thought it was going to be good, but I have no interest in going on at all."

That's what recently happened to me. I picked up a book and was intrigued by the back synopsis. I read it for two hours before I had to put it down. I thought, "This book isn't interesting at all. Not the characters. Not the style of writing. Not the subject matter. Nothing." Only the cover and title were mildly interesting. I went into the living room and noticed my sister laughing her head off at the show she was watching. She had been watching T.V. longer than I'd been reading my book. I had heard her laughing the whole time I was reading the book. When I had saw the look of enjoyment on her face as she watched her show I finally came to the truth: watching T.V. is a better use of time than reading books. I listed my reasons below:

1. Reading is an unsocial event that requires tuning out others. Watching T.V. can be a social event enjoyed with friends or family.

2. I can use my hands for more things such as writing, playing cards, games, doing laundry, eating, etc. while watching T.V. My hands must always be used to hold the book or Nook.

3. It's easier to recommend a T.V. show than a book. I've recommended countless books. Later on, when I ask the person if they've read it I'm sure to get, "Oh, I haven't gotten around to reading it." as the reply. When I recommend a show they are far more likely to at least watch a few episodes.

4. More people watch T.V. than read books. Whenever I finish a book I enjoy, I feel some unhappiness knowing it's unlikely I'll ever meet anyone to talk to about it. If the book is obscure, it's virtually impossible. Even for bestselling books it is hard to meet other people who have read it and engage in long conversations. That's unless the book has been turned into a T.V. show or movie. One of the best things about encountering art or entertainment you enjoy is talking about it or sharing it with others. With movies, shows, and even songs I can find people to share my interest with. I once made a comment about the Door's "Light My Fire" on youtube and someone replied to it. Over the course of several days, we started talking about the song and the band til eventually we exchanged emails and now talk a lot. The same thing with movies and shows. There's Internet Movie Database where I can engage in long conversations over any movie or show, even something obscure. I can walk up to a stranger and talk to them about a popular show or movie and chances are they'll know about it and we can talk at length about it.

I can't do the same with books, even bestsellers. I know when I finish a book I enjoy, it is unlikely I'll find people to have long talks about it.

5. Watching T.V. is a greater audio/visual treat than reading books. A T.V. show or movie can stir my imagination far better than words on paper or on a Nook.

6. You can only buy one book at a time. But my cable or satellite provider can provide me with hundreds of programs per month.

7. I can get more out of a movie or show I don't like than I can out of a book I don't like. There are many shows and movies I didn't care for but I enjoyed their soundtrack so much I bought it. I think the Beverly Hillbillies theme is stupid but I'll be damned if it isn't catchy. I love to sing the Cheers theme even though I never watched the show. Hitchcock's Psycho bored me, but the murder scenes were unforgettable. I didn't care for Ironman, but the special effects had me at the edge of my seat. I found the Graduate to be a dull film but the "Mrs. Robinson, you're trying to seduce me" line and the ending scene where Ben breaks up the ending is memorable. That movie made me a fan of Hoffman and Bancroft. Like I said, I can get way more out of a movie or show I dislike than a book I dislike.

8. I can tell a lot easier if the movie may be to my tastes than I can with a book. A trailer can show me more about how good a movie will be than the back cover synopsis will tell me about a book. Or I can tell within the first 10 or 20 minutes if I'm going to like a movie or show. But I can't tell if I'm going to like a book within the first 10 or 20 pages. I have to read more pages and spend more time on something I could possibly dislike.

9. I can be more comfortable watching T.V. than reading a book. When I watch T.V., I can lie down on my stomach, resting my chin on my hands. But reading a book requires bending my upper body upward, resting on my elbows, which puts a strain on my body eventually. Or when I'm sitting on the ground, reading a book in the grass or in my lap. My neck quickly gets cramped in this position. But looking forward and watching T.V. in this position means I can stay comfortable for far longer. The best position to read a book is on a chair and reading on a desk or table. However, when I watch T.V. I can get in any position and say comfortable for far longer than I could when I read books.

I'm going to stop here. The basic thing is there is more you can get from T.V. than reading a book: great acting, music, lines, scenes, special effects, directing, etc. Even when it's a T.V. show I don't like I can come out with something. I might think, "The story for that movie was lousy. But at least they had good special effects. And the music was great. I'm going to buy the whole soundtrack." But I've never had that with a book. There are books I've enjoyed. However, the number of books that I don't care for come in far greater numbers. This is bad because the page count for the average book is increasing. It seems like every new book at Barnes and Noble is at least 500 pages. Since it takes longer to read a crappy book than watch a crappy show or movie, you waste more time reading garbage than watching garbage. And you get far less out of reading garbage than watching garbage.

I used to think people who said, "I don't read" were dumb. Now I think they are smart. They are smart enough to know the potential pleasure you can gain from a show or movie is far greater than what you can gain from a book. So why read books?
And the dumbing down of America continues !

Old 12-29-2015, 12:30 PM

6,415 posts, read 5,071,999 times
I love reading a good fiction novel, and I love a good TV show, equally. I don't think people who read are any smarter than non-readers, but I certainly DO think that their vocabulary, grammar, and spelling is MUCH better.

I don't take out books from the library because they take me so long to read. The only time I read is when we go camping in our travel trailer or to our cottage.

Until I discovered a good way to know if I'll like a book or not, I've had my share of wasting money of books that are BAD.

I finally realized that with a few clicks on a web page or two (Amazon and Reader's choice), I can find excellent books by their ratings. I wouldn't even consider buying a book without checking out Amazon reviews now. If someone mentions they've read a good book, I'll ask the title and look it up. If it doesn't sound interesting to me, or the reviews aren't good, then I'll save my money. Sure, once in a while I'll get a dud, but usually they are worth the money and rating that Amazon readers have given them.

Old 12-29-2015, 12:50 PM

13,178 posts, read 7,026,564 times
Read "Ice Station Zebra" then watch "Ice Station Zebra" (or "Puppet on a Chain" in the same method) and then tell me which was a bigger waste of time?

Read "Alien" (get the adult and not the high school version, not much of a difference, but it is there) and see how much more there is to the novelization.

Of course, it can go the other way as well. Star Trek novels, for example. The book version of "The Wrath of Khan" is worse than the Director's Cut of the movie (and that was pretty awful). The novels that weren't made into any sort of visual can either be excellent....or darn right terrible because they come across like fan fiction fantasy.

A thing often about reading is that one might remember for decades what they have read, all the little details, even in conversation, that makes the book different from the movie. They might remember not only the details but how they felt when they read that particular passage. Perhaps in the present, years from then, the same passage might not invoke what they felt then but they still might remember how they felt that night.

Consider this passage from "Buffy TVS":

Jenny Calendar: Honestly, what is it about them that bothers you so much?
Giles: The smell.
Jenny Calendar: Computers don't smell, Rupert.
Giles: I know. Smell is the most powerful trigger to the memory there is. A certain flower, or a-a whiff of smoke can bring up experiences long forgotten. Books smell musty and-and-and rich. The knowledge gained from a computer is a... it, uh, it has no-no texture, no-no context. It's-it's there and then it's gone. If it's to last, then-then the getting of knowledge should be, uh, tangible. It should be, um, smelly.

Ironic, isn't it? Here the question is which is more meaningful, the book or TV, and I'm using something from TV to champion the Book.

Old 01-03-2016, 01:13 AM

23 posts, read 16,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
Speaking of Alheimer's and dementia, there are a lot of fairly simple things you can do to slow down the process, including--but not limited to--nutritional stuff like putting turmeric powder in your food. (I usually put it in coconut milk and then warm it up in the microwave. Turmeric has other health benefits as well).

An excellent book on the subject is: 100 Things You Can Do to Prevent Alzhemier's and Age-Related Memory Loss

Thank you for the link, it's most appreciated. I have tried turmeric in my water and food for my chronic inflammation and it does work, except it makes me a bit anxious, possible side effect? I even bought the empty gelatin capsules to take it in pill form. I know this is off-topic but I was told to get C3 curcumin complex which is derived from turmeric. Any suggestions?

Old 01-04-2016, 02:19 PM

4,456 posts, read 3,980,956 times
Re: 'And the dumbing down of America continues !'

You know I'd suggest that if one asks 'why read books?' then it is obvious there is a seeming preference for one medium over the other when one is out after 'information'. Books just don't work then as an information provider.

Where I think we really have to worry about the dumbing down of America is the possibility that everybody gets their 'information' from only one outlet. Can we imagine getting all our perspectives about life from only one media source namely the derisively termed 'boob tube'? Or at the other end just from the printed word? Not going to work if we want homo sapiens to keep using the intellectual 'bell-tower' up there for the future of the species. Both will be around for times to come. They won't be going away but rather maybe transformed as inventions usually do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books