Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2013, 12:13 PM

415 posts, read 599,622 times

Advertisements

If you're an avid book reader, this has happened to you more times than you can count: you get several dozen pages into a book or around halfway through before you think, "Man, this book isn't interesting at all. I thought it was going to be good, but I have no interest in going on at all."

That's what recently happened to me. I picked up a book and was intrigued by the back synopsis. I read it for two hours before I had to put it down. I thought, "This book isn't interesting at all. Not the characters. Not the style of writing. Not the subject matter. Nothing." Only the cover and title were mildly interesting. I went into the living room and noticed my sister laughing her head off at the show she was watching. She had been watching T.V. longer than I'd been reading my book. I had heard her laughing the whole time I was reading the book. When I had saw the look of enjoyment on her face as she watched her show I finally came to the truth: watching T.V. is a better use of time than reading books. I listed my reasons below:

1. Reading is an unsocial event that requires tuning out others. Watching T.V. can be a social event enjoyed with friends or family.

2. I can use my hands for more things such as writing, playing cards, games, doing laundry, eating, etc. while watching T.V. My hands must always be used to hold the book or Nook.

3. It's easier to recommend a T.V. show than a book. I've recommended countless books. Later on, when I ask the person if they've read it I'm sure to get, "Oh, I haven't gotten around to reading it." as the reply. When I recommend a show they are far more likely to at least watch a few episodes.

4. More people watch T.V. than read books. Whenever I finish a book I enjoy, I feel some unhappiness knowing it's unlikely I'll ever meet anyone to talk to about it. If the book is obscure, it's virtually impossible. Even for bestselling books it is hard to meet other people who have read it and engage in long conversations. That's unless the book has been turned into a T.V. show or movie. One of the best things about encountering art or entertainment you enjoy is talking about it or sharing it with others. With movies, shows, and even songs I can find people to share my interest with. I once made a comment about the Door's "Light My Fire" on youtube and someone replied to it. Over the course of several days, we started talking about the song and the band til eventually we exchanged emails and now talk a lot. The same thing with movies and shows. There's Internet Movie Database where I can engage in long conversations over any movie or show, even something obscure. I can walk up to a stranger and talk to them about a popular show or movie and chances are they'll know about it and we can talk at length about it.

I can't do the same with books, even bestsellers. I know when I finish a book I enjoy, it is unlikely I'll find people to have long talks about it.

5. Watching T.V. is a greater audio/visual treat than reading books. A T.V. show or movie can stir my imagination far better than words on paper or on a Nook.

6. You can only buy one book at a time. But my cable or satellite provider can provide me with hundreds of programs per month.

7. I can get more out of a movie or show I don't like than I can out of a book I don't like. There are many shows and movies I didn't care for but I enjoyed their soundtrack so much I bought it. I think the Beverly Hillbillies theme is stupid but I'll be damned if it isn't catchy. I love to sing the Cheers theme even though I never watched the show. Hitchcock's Psycho bored me, but the murder scenes were unforgettable. I didn't care for Ironman, but the special effects had me at the edge of my seat. I found the Graduate to be a dull film but the "Mrs. Robinson, you're trying to seduce me" line and the ending scene where Ben breaks up the ending is memorable. That movie made me a fan of Hoffman and Bancroft. Like I said, I can get way more out of a movie or show I dislike than a book I dislike.

8. I can tell a lot easier if the movie may be to my tastes than I can with a book. A trailer can show me more about how good a movie will be than the back cover synopsis will tell me about a book. Or I can tell within the first 10 or 20 minutes if I'm going to like a movie or show. But I can't tell if I'm going to like a book within the first 10 or 20 pages. I have to read more pages and spend more time on something I could possibly dislike.

9. I can be more comfortable watching T.V. than reading a book. When I watch T.V., I can lie down on my stomach, resting my chin on my hands. But reading a book requires bending my upper body upward, resting on my elbows, which puts a strain on my body eventually. Or when I'm sitting on the ground, reading a book in the grass or in my lap. My neck quickly gets cramped in this position. But looking forward and watching T.V. in this position means I can stay comfortable for far longer. The best position to read a book is on a chair and reading on a desk or table. However, when I watch T.V. I can get in any position and say comfortable for far longer than I could when I read books.

I'm going to stop here. The basic thing is there is more you can get from T.V. than reading a book: great acting, music, lines, scenes, special effects, directing, etc. Even when it's a T.V. show I don't like I can come out with something. I might think, "The story for that movie was lousy. But at least they had good special effects. And the music was great. I'm going to buy the whole soundtrack." But I've never had that with a book. There are books I've enjoyed. However, the number of books that I don't care for come in far greater numbers. This is bad because the page count for the average book is increasing. It seems like every new book at Barnes and Noble is at least 500 pages. Since it takes longer to read a crappy book than watch a crappy show or movie, you waste more time reading garbage than watching garbage. And you get far less out of reading garbage than watching garbage.

I used to think people who said, "I don't read" were dumb. Now I think they are smart. They are smart enough to know the potential pleasure you can gain from a show or movie is far greater than what you can gain from a book. So why read books?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2013, 02:17 PM

9,981 posts, read 8,587,448 times
Although what you're saying may be true for fiction,
it's not the case if your goal is to increase your learning,
understanding, or vocabulary. Non-fiction is kept at an
8th grade level on television. Vocabulary is kept at a low
level also on the boob tube.

Old 09-25-2013, 08:13 PM

243 posts, read 452,459 times
"The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time"

I watch television to be entertained.

I read books for an escape, to learn, to grow as a person, to enter new worlds and thought processes, to time travel, to work out my feelings and beliefs, to find a connection, to find my place in this world, to be pushed emotionally, and also, for entertainment.

Personally, I'd find a great emptiness in my life if I stopped reading; books have been an important and fulfilling part of my life since I was very young. I'd give up TV before I would ever give them up. Luckily, we aren't limited to one or the other.

Your posts in the book forum are...interesting.

Last edited by Ohio Hello; 09-25-2013 at 08:40 PM..

Old 09-25-2013, 09:22 PM

12,270 posts, read 11,325,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBigGuy View Post
If you're an avid book reader, this has happened to you more times than you can count: you get several dozen pages into a book or around halfway through before you think, "Man, this book isn't interesting at all. I thought it was going to be good, but I have no interest in going on at all."
Lol! Then you can bring the book back to the library book sale you took it from and grab another while berating the women who work there about their crappy books.

Old 09-25-2013, 10:02 PM

589 posts, read 1,347,201 times
Normally I would just pass on by, but somehow this time I have to respond.

Quote:
I've had the same experience with tv shows and movies. I've had to turn off tv shows or movies halfway through, because I had to do something else, and realized "I really don't care if I ever see the end of that." I've turned on a lot of movies, and decided part way through that they are all but unwatchable.

Quote:
I listed my reasons below:

1. Reading is an unsocial event that requires tuning out others. Watching T.V. can be a social event enjoyed with friends or family.
Reading can be a social event, such as in a book club. I had a friend who's book tastes ran very similar to mine, we would often buy the same books and read them at roughly the same pace, and discuss the books often over the days as we read.

Quote:
2. I can use my hands for more things such as writing, playing cards, games, doing laundry, eating, etc. while watching T.V. My hands must always be used to hold the book or Nook.
If you really want to do laundry while you read, there are books on tape. I read partially to AVOID laundry, etc. And if I'm trying to concentrate on writing or playing games, I can't pay attention to tv as anything more than background noise. I can have it on as background noise WHILE I read.

Quote:
3. It's easier to recommend a T.V. show than a book. I've recommended countless books. Later on, when I ask the person if they've read it I'm sure to get, "Oh, I haven't gotten around to reading it." as the reply. When I recommend a show they are far more likely to at least watch a few episodes.
You obviously don't know many readers. When I recommend a book to a friend who likes to read, they almost always come back and tell me how good the book was.

Quote:
4. More people watch T.V. than read books. Whenever I finish a book I enjoy, I feel some unhappiness knowing it's unlikely I'll ever meet anyone to talk to about it. If the book is obscure, it's virtually impossible. Even for bestselling books it is hard to meet other people who have read it and engage in long conversations. That's unless the book has been turned into a T.V. show or movie. One of the best things about encountering art or entertainment you enjoy is talking about it or sharing it with others. With movies, shows, and even songs I can find people to share my interest with. I once made a comment about the Door's "Light My Fire" on youtube and someone replied to it. Over the course of several days, we started talking about the song and the band til eventually we exchanged emails and now talk a lot. The same thing with movies and shows. There's Internet Movie Database where I can engage in long conversations over any movie or show, even something obscure. I can walk up to a stranger and talk to them about a popular show or movie and chances are they'll know about it and we can talk at length about it.
You are sadly correct that more people watch tv than read books. But thanks to the internet, if you really wanted to communicate with others about a book, you can find people to talk to. There are plenty of message boards and websites to discuss all sorts of books. Always try the author's website, most have a readers forum.

Quote:
I can't do the same with books, even bestsellers. I know when I finish a book I enjoy, it is unlikely I'll find people to have long talks about it.
You are looking at the wrong websites.

Quote:
5. Watching T.V. is a greater audio/visual treat than reading books. A T.V. show or movie can stir my imagination far better than words on paper or on a Nook.
You may have an underdeveloped imagination. I can read any book and form mental images of the characters, settings, accents.... far more detailed and pleasing to me than any tv/movie can be.

Quote:
6. You can only buy one book at a time. But my cable or satellite provider can provide me with hundreds of programs per month.
I've never seen a bookstore that limits purchases to one at a time, I don't know where you shop. At any given moment, I'm reading between 2 and 5 books. One in my car, one in my purse. Very large books are only read at home, I always have a title at work (usually work related and non-fiction), and I always keep a few spares in my car. Not to mention the several hundred titles I own at home. Plus I can get lots of books from the local library.

Quote:
7. I can get more out of a movie or show I don't like than I can out of a book I don't like. There are many shows and movies I didn't care for but I enjoyed their soundtrack so much I bought it. I think the Beverly Hillbillies theme is stupid but I'll be damned if it isn't catchy. I love to sing the Cheers theme even though I never watched the show. Hitchcock's Psycho bored me, but the murder scenes were unforgettable. I didn't care for Ironman, but the special effects had me at the edge of my seat. I found the Graduate to be a dull film but the "Mrs. Robinson, you're trying to seduce me" line and the ending scene where Ben breaks up the ending is memorable. That movie made me a fan of Hoffman and Bancroft. Like I said, I can get way more out of a movie or show I dislike than a book I dislike.
I find it fun to pick at a book I don't like. Reading it just to read aloud to my husband awkward phrasing, poor imagery, just generally bad writing. Since I rarely pay full price for a book, if I start to read and don't enjoy it, I just quit and move on to something else.

Quote:
8. I can tell a lot easier if the movie may be to my tastes than I can with a book. A trailer can show me more about how good a movie will be than the back cover synopsis will tell me about a book. Or I can tell within the first 10 or 20 minutes if I'm going to like a movie or show. But I can't tell if I'm going to like a book within the first 10 or 20 pages. I have to read more pages and spend more time on something I could possibly dislike.
I give a book 50 pages or 10%, whichever is longer. If I'm not interested by then, I quit. Since reading is a form of pleasure and relaxation to me, I'm more than willing to invest that time. I've probably turned off more movies than I've quit on books.

Quote:
9. I can be more comfortable watching T.V. than reading a book. When I watch T.V., I can lie down on my stomach, resting my chin on my hands. But reading a book requires bending my upper body upward, resting on my elbows, which puts a strain on my body eventually. Or when I'm sitting on the ground, reading a book in the grass or in my lap. My neck quickly gets cramped in this position. But looking forward and watching T.V. in this position means I can stay comfortable for far longer. The best position to read a book is on a chair and reading on a desk or table. However, when I watch T.V. I can get in any position and say comfortable for far longer than I could when I read books.
I will give you that some books are very physically hard to read. Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, or the Deathly Hallows. Most of the Game of Thrones books in hardcover. They are big, bulky, and heavy to hold. But most books aren't that big and heavy. A kindle or nook has minimal weight. I can curl up in a recliner. I can lay in bed, on my side, stomach, or back. I can sit up at a table, I can hold a book up and read while standing, holding the book in one hand while my other is free to do something else.

Quote:
I'm going to stop here. The basic thing is there is more you can get from T.V. than reading a book: great acting, music, lines, scenes, special effects, directing, etc. Even when it's a T.V. show I don't like I can come out with something. I might think, "The story for that movie was lousy. But at least they had good special effects. And the music was great. I'm going to buy the whole soundtrack." But I've never had that with a book. There are books I've enjoyed. However, the number of books that I don't care for come in far greater numbers. This is bad because the page count for the average book is increasing. It seems like every new book at Barnes and Noble is at least 500 pages. Since it takes longer to read a crappy book than watch a crappy show or movie, you waste more time reading garbage than watching garbage. And you get far less out of reading garbage than watching garbage.
I can usually get far more from a book than from tv. I would rather create the acting/music/effects/images in my own head than have them spoon fed to me. I have fallen in love with characters in books. I have laughed while reading books, and I have a few titles I've had to replace because I ruined them with tear stains. It is not Christmas to me until I've re-read Dickens' Christmas Carol, I'm on my third copy because I replace them when the pages are falling out.

Quote:
I used to think people who said, "I don't read" were dumb. Now I think they are smart. They are smart enough to know the potential pleasure you can gain from a show or movie is far greater than what you can gain from a book. So why read books?
I find I relate better to those who are readers. They have a better understanding of, and love for language. They can usually converse on a much broader range of topics than just Survivor and American Idol. I spend far more hours every week with a book in my hand than in front of a screen.

A few more points. I can carry a book with me, and read almost anywhere. Not so with movies/tv, unless you are going to download and watch on a tablet or smartphone, and they are only good as long as the battery charge holds out. I can read while standing on line places, while waiting at a doctors office, dmv, sitting in a parking lot while waiting to pick someone up. I can read in the middle of the night with a small booklight, without worrying about the noise or lights waking someone up.

You can take my tv, you can take my Netflix subscription, but you can't have my books.

Old 09-25-2013, 11:09 PM

7,378 posts, read 12,661,333 times
Wonderful post, Carrie! Underlying TheBigGuy's post is, I believe, a reluctance and unease about doing activities by himself. BigGuy, you have to learn to enjoy your own internal dialogue; good things aren't good just because they're validated by being enjoyed by others, or serving as a conversation topic.

Personally I love movies, but I could go a few weeks without seeing one. As a matter of fact I did, during my summer vacation this year: three weeks without movies or TV! We even had a DVD player with us, and a nice collection of DVDs, but there just wasn't time or energy to watch any of them, after a long day of activities. But I can't go a single day without getting a little further into whatever novel I'm reading--and I read good novels more than once! Mostly without discussing them with anyone. The internal enjoyment is enough for me.

Old 09-25-2013, 11:13 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,217,998 times
It never takes me 2 hours to decide a book is not worth reading. I read the first chapter and the last chapter and most of the time I read what is in between because I want to see the journey taken from beginning to end.

I very much dislike television (haven't watched it in about 15 years) and movies (it is a rare movie I actually like) so books, the computer and now quilting and sewing are on my daily agenda and I am very much cutting back on the computer.

Old 09-27-2013, 10:03 AM

4,449 posts, read 4,615,223 times
Quote:
heheh Big Guy! I sure am glad you weren't in the room when Gutenberg got his machines going!...You could have affected the course of civilization some I'll tell you that....;-)...

Reading and tv viewing of course have their place in life and leisure. They can live side by side I think. TV does produce some fine intelligent programming just like books produce fine intelligent story-telling. But differences in how we react to both mediums can be somewhat different and probably affects how individuals are comnfortable with each when taking in information.

You know if you read it's you and what's written on the page. That's it. You must make sense of the words and make your 'own world', What it comes down to is you are creating an internal visual picture of what you're interpreting off the page. I think aestheticially that works better than television but that's just my own opinion. With tv, I don't think one gets the same kind of environment as reading. While viewing you're already getting a pre-defined visual picture of the story being presented. Not much imagination is necessary I think as in reading. And hey that could be alot of 'work' for some. Different strokes for different folks!

Old 09-27-2013, 11:06 AM

11,110 posts, read 9,806,194 times
Quote:

That's what recently happened to me. I picked up a book and was intrigued by the back synopsis. I read it for two hours before I had to put it down. I thought, "This book isn't interesting at all. Not the characters. Not the style of writing. Not the subject matter. Nothing." Only the cover and title were mildly interesting. I went into the living room and noticed my sister laughing her head off at the show she was watching. She had been watching T.V. longer than I'd been reading my book. I had heard her laughing the whole time I was reading the book. When I had saw the look of enjoyment on her face as she watched her show I finally came to the truth: watching T.V. is a better use of time than reading books. I listed my reasons below:

You could have just said "I prefer TV to books".

Except that it appears that you need to have your mere preferences be seen as objective truths. Reading isn't simply more pleasureable for you than reading; you're convinced that it is inherently better. Those who prefer to read are therefore wasting their time. Why? Just because you prefer it.

Quote:
So when you enjoyed reading, non-readers were dumb. Now that you prefer TV, readers are dumb.

Could you possibly get any more narcissistic?

Old 09-27-2013, 12:35 PM

7,332 posts, read 2,741,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarrieM View Post
Normally I would just pass on by, but somehow this time I have to respond.

I've had the same experience with tv shows and movies. I've had to turn off tv shows or movies halfway through, because I had to do something else, and realized "I really don't care if I ever see the end of that." I've turned on a lot of movies, and decided part way through that they are all but unwatchable.

Reading can be a social event, such as in a book club. I had a friend who's book tastes ran very similar to mine, we would often buy the same books and read them at roughly the same pace, and discuss the books often over the days as we read.

If you really want to do laundry while you read, there are books on tape. I read partially to AVOID laundry, etc. And if I'm trying to concentrate on writing or playing games, I can't pay attention to tv as anything more than background noise. I can have it on as background noise WHILE I read.

You obviously don't know many readers. When I recommend a book to a friend who likes to read, they almost always come back and tell me how good the book was.

You are sadly correct that more people watch tv than read books. But thanks to the internet, if you really wanted to communicate with others about a book, you can find people to talk to. There are plenty of message boards and websites to discuss all sorts of books. Always try the author's website, most have a readers forum.

You are looking at the wrong websites.

You may have an underdeveloped imagination. I can read any book and form mental images of the characters, settings, accents.... far more detailed and pleasing to me than any tv/movie can be.

I've never seen a bookstore that limits purchases to one at a time, I don't know where you shop. At any given moment, I'm reading between 2 and 5 books. One in my car, one in my purse. Very large books are only read at home, I always have a title at work (usually work related and non-fiction), and I always keep a few spares in my car. Not to mention the several hundred titles I own at home. Plus I can get lots of books from the local library.

I find it fun to pick at a book I don't like. Reading it just to read aloud to my husband awkward phrasing, poor imagery, just generally bad writing. Since I rarely pay full price for a book, if I start to read and don't enjoy it, I just quit and move on to something else.

I give a book 50 pages or 10%, whichever is longer. If I'm not interested by then, I quit. Since reading is a form of pleasure and relaxation to me, I'm more than willing to invest that time. I've probably turned off more movies than I've quit on books.

I will give you that some books are very physically hard to read. Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, or the Deathly Hallows. Most of the Game of Thrones books in hardcover. They are big, bulky, and heavy to hold. But most books aren't that big and heavy. A kindle or nook has minimal weight. I can curl up in a recliner. I can lay in bed, on my side, stomach, or back. I can sit up at a table, I can hold a book up and read while standing, holding the book in one hand while my other is free to do something else.

I can usually get far more from a book than from tv. I would rather create the acting/music/effects/images in my own head than have them spoon fed to me. I have fallen in love with characters in books. I have laughed while reading books, and I have a few titles I've had to replace because I ruined them with tear stains. It is not Christmas to me until I've re-read Dickens' Christmas Carol, I'm on my third copy because I replace them when the pages are falling out.

I find I relate better to those who are readers. They have a better understanding of, and love for language. They can usually converse on a much broader range of topics than just Survivor and American Idol. I spend far more hours every week with a book in my hand than in front of a screen.

A few more points. I can carry a book with me, and read almost anywhere. Not so with movies/tv, unless you are going to download and watch on a tablet or smartphone, and they are only good as long as the battery charge holds out. I can read while standing on line places, while waiting at a doctors office, dmv, sitting in a parking lot while waiting to pick someone up. I can read in the middle of the night with a small booklight, without worrying about the noise or lights waking someone up.

You can take my tv, you can take my Netflix subscription, but you can't have my books.
Excellent post. I second everything you just said!

And, by the way OP, I can't remember the last time I only bought one book or checked out only one book at the library....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books