Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2007, 07:46 AM

10,203 posts, read 27,112,167 times

Advertisements

Here's one that came up in the 5 favourite books thread:

Mikhail Bulgakov, a Russian author of wit and brilliance, wrote, among others:

Heart of a Dog
Master and Margarita
White Guard
Black Snow

His early career centered around playwriting, but he is best known today as a satirist of his times; perhaps the Russian equivalent to Britain's Orwell.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2007, 08:12 PM

1,343 posts, read 5,167,681 times
Michael Malone! And thanks for reminding me!

Old 11-17-2007, 08:28 PM

8 posts, read 23,260 times
Yes he is brilliant. Heart of a Dog - Love it.

On a note of obscure writers, and also with an Orwellian twist, is Eugene Zamayatin, the writer of the dystopic We. Very interesting book.

Other writers that slip by Hmmmm.

I find that Science Fiction writers often get lost even if they are brilliant. I barely read SF except for a few select authors that take the genre to a whole new level. These guys have given me many sleepless nights

Kim Stanley Robinson
Philip K. Dick
JG Ballard
William Gibson
Ian Banks - The Wasp Factory variety

I know they are not all as obscure as maybe the posting suggests, but I think Robinson gets unfairly looked over. "The Years of Rice and Salt" is magic.

Old 11-17-2007, 08:51 PM

Forgot to mention Kobe Abe - Magnificent writer. After my obsession with him and Murakami if there are any other Japanese writers people can recommend I'd appreciate it.

Old 11-19-2007, 07:33 PM

22,913 posts, read 28,249,166 times
William Kent Krueger is a great storyteller who isn't selling nearly as many books as he should.

And Philip K. Dick is hardly overlooked. He's one of the most lauded authors in science fiction, second only to guys like Asimov and H.G. Wells.

Old 11-19-2007, 07:58 PM

323 posts, read 1,968,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
And Philip K. Dick is hardly overlooked. He's one of the most lauded authors in science fiction, second only to guys like Asimov and H.G. Wells.
Of course being a lauded Science Fiction author is one of those "kissing your sister" type things - it's not quite the same as being a well respected author in general. Science Fiction tends to be looked down upon by the "serious" literary critics and their followers. Their loss as far as I'm concerned - some of the SF authors are just plain great writers. Philip K. Dick was one and William Gibson is one.

Old 11-20-2007, 03:45 AM

PKD is an SF legend

Not too many people know him outside of that.

Man in the High Castle my fav.

Old 12-02-2007, 12:34 AM

4,714 posts, read 8,458,946 times
For readers of 'highbrow' and historically significant serious fiction, there is the "The Complete Review" web site. My personal opinion is that there is a lot of very high-quality examination of literature at this site.
Welcome to the Complete Review

Here is the index page to all their reviews.
Complete Review - Review Index

Here is the index page to the books reviewed as "the best":
Complete Review - The Best at the Complete Review

Last edited by ParkTwain; 12-02-2007 at 01:13 AM..

Old 12-02-2007, 09:29 PM

462 posts, read 1,876,363 times
Loren Eiseley. He was an anthropologist and a naturalist. So far, my favorite book by him is "The Night Country." He reflects on nature and mankind in a unique way.

Old 12-03-2007, 06:55 AM

502 posts, read 1,065,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by escapetacoma View Post
Of course being a lauded Science Fiction author is one of those "kissing your sister" type things - it's not quite the same as being a well respected author in general. Science Fiction tends to be looked down upon by the "serious" literary critics and their followers. Their loss as far as I'm concerned - some of the SF authors are just plain great writers. Philip K. Dick was one and William Gibson is one.
I think Philip K. Dick is a real-world Kilgore Trout.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books