Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2014, 02:19 AM

27 posts, read 33,988 times

Advertisements

my wife is going to jail for the next six months for a money crime. I might a lot of flack for supporting a criminal but since she has no history of this her crime wasn't against me or our child so I am willing to stick by her. I was wondering what are some good books or magazines out that are good to send to an inmate.

, I honestly don't read much and I was thinking maybe there were some good specific books you can send to someone in jail. She's 37 if that helps . Don't even know what books are targeted toward that age group

The types not allowed are things inciting racial hatred, rioting, making drugs, violence or escaping from jail but that's nothing to worry about she would never read that kind of stuff anyway

main thing I wonder if there are some good specific books or magazines for someone in jail. And also maybe what kind of books or magazines would not be a good idea
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2014, 05:56 AM

3,440 posts, read 6,548,139 times
Perhaps you could find something for her on how to "earn" money. A magazine she may enjoy the articles in is "Vanity Fair". They do good research for their articles and there are other things in it that are interesting. Vanity Fair comes out monthly. Here's to hoping she won't repeat the behavior that got her the 6 months.

Old 01-02-2014, 05:03 PM

5,654 posts, read 6,217,411 times
There are all kinds of great books that would be acceptable in a jail setting. Can you provide any other insight on your wife's other interests? If she reads generally, what are some of the books she has enjoyed?

Old 01-02-2014, 06:35 PM

995 posts, read 1,115,743 times
When I worked at Borders, we had several regular customers who bought magazines and books to ship to someone in prison. My recommendations are magazines, women's stuff like Cosmo or a Vanity Fair, maybe a women's fitness magazine. Just a few at a time. A few paperbacks, romances or chick lit.

Have her ask other women there what they like because she'll be trading and loaning them.
Make sure you give the absolute correct mailing address to the store shipping your order. You cannot ship them yourself, a business has to. Make sure they have your name and phone number so you can be notified if/when the order is returned. This happens often, sometimes it's guards being jerks, sometimes it's a disciplinary thing. Explanations are rarely given, and it may take a few separate repeat shipments before she'll actually get it.

That said, I think you're a great guy to do this for her. Just having a few books and magazines will be a big spirit lift.

Old 01-02-2014, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrowGirl View Post
There are all kinds of great books that would be acceptable in a jail setting. Can you provide any other insight on your wife's other interests? If she reads generally, what are some of the books she has enjoyed?
She seems to be open to anything really. She hasn't read a book for entertainment for a very long time. I guess stuff targeted to women mainly. Of course it needs to not be against their policies

Old 01-02-2014, 07:36 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,243,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1924 View Post
She seems to be open to anything really. She hasn't read a book for entertainment for a very long time. I guess stuff targeted to women mainly. Of course it needs to not be against their policies
You should be able to get a list of books and magazines and other items that are allowed to be sent.
Just ask for the approved items list and go from there.

Old 01-02-2014, 07:42 PM

4,829 posts, read 8,728,677 times
Why not ask your WIFE want books and/or magazines she wants?? Also, you should check with the jail to get a list of what is/is not pemitted.

Six months is NOT a long time. She'll probably be out in 2 - 4 months, depending on your system's rules. Also, she's not locked in a cell 24/7 --- she'll be working and participating in programs and groups so a lot of her time, she'll be kept busy.

Old 01-02-2014, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnneWest View Post
When I worked at Borders, we had several regular customers who bought magazines and books to ship to someone in prison. My recommendations are magazines, women's stuff like Cosmo or a Vanity Fair, maybe a women's fitness magazine. Just a few at a time. A few paperbacks, romances or chick lit.

Have her ask other women there what they like because she'll be trading and loaning them.
Make sure you give the absolute correct mailing address to the store shipping your order. You cannot ship them yourself, a business has to. Make sure they have your name and phone number so you can be notified if/when the order is returned. This happens often, sometimes it's guards being jerks, sometimes it's a disciplinary thing. Explanations are rarely given, and it may take a few separate repeat shipments before she'll actually get it.

That said, I think you're a great guy to do this for her. Just having a few books and magazines will be a big spirit lift.

I was hoping she wouldn't have to talk to other people besides her cell mates but if it is a good idea to ask others? Also, guards might not send them?

Old 01-03-2014, 07:31 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
There are some really long books, where she can spend a lot of time following the same story. They are quite readable, even by a person who isn't accustomed to reading much.

The Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett
Lonesome Dove by Larry McMurtrey
The Far Pavilions by M M Kaye.

A lot of books are offered on Amazon.com for one cent each, you pay 3.99 for shipping. It is very economical if you can find a dozen books from the same Amazon-partner bookseller, who will send for one shipping price..

Old 01-03-2014, 03:50 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,672,796 times
I would think she'd like to read whatever she ordinarily likes to read.

The suggestion below of long books is a nice idea. Two others that come to mind for me are Shogun and Gone With the Wind. If she likes fantasy, there are bunches of multiple-book series, starting with The Lord of the Rings. Also, she might like to take some time to delve into classics - Dickens, Bronte, Fitzgerald, Twain, Steinbeck.

For books specifically for women audiences, two that come to mind are Possession and The Handmaid's Tale. It also occurs to me that if your wife has a career, you might buy her a couple of the latest relevant books, so that she'll still feel involved and informed. About magazines, the prison may well have a library with magazines, so I'd wait on that; but I wouldn't send "women's" magazines, but again, newsier magazines so that she'll feel informed.

Last edited by Cida; 01-03-2014 at 04:07 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books