U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2013, 08:20 PM

160 posts, read 339,794 times

Advertisements

How often do you read? Do you think your smart enough to be on jeopardy? Do you prefer ebooks or actually real books? Do you ever watch tv? Get on the internet a lot? Do puzzzles? How do you sharpen your brain everyday? To get rid of my cable and internet it'l cost my 445. I am so addicted to tv. I am 29 years old and i know my reading level has to be below a high school level. And I don't have any money for savings. I want to attend online classes for school but I don't feel ready because i get so distracted and yes i do have ADHD and ADD through out my life but i want to overcome that. I am so thankful that i have a job to keep a roof over my head.
If you were me how would you sharpen your mind to prepare to go back to college?
at work i work 5 days and 5 days off. Sometimes at work I get to sit longs periods of time of doing nothing but surfing the net. And on my off days i get some exercise, eat, and watch tv very little do i read. Plus I am very antisocial.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2013, 11:23 AM

9,399 posts, read 14,720,987 times
I normally read everyday, unless I'm too busy, usually around 1-2 hours per day. No, I don't think I'm "smart" enough to be on jeopardy but you don't have to be smart to go on trivia shows, you just need to be very knowledgeable in a variety of subjects. Reading novels probably won't provide that and the only non-fiction books I read are related to history. I would probably be good at history trivia but not in other subjects.

I prefer ebooks, I do use the internet a lot and I do watch TV, though not as much as I read or use the net.

You don't need to be a great reader to be an avid reader. My words per minute reading speed has always been slightly slower than the norm but I still manage to read about 50+ books a year. If you find reading requires too much focus, I would recommend puzzles to sharpen your mind - they will not necessarily make you knowledge but they do help keep your mind sharp.

Old 10-01-2013, 07:36 AM

498 posts, read 848,940 times
I read 1-2 hours nightly before bed, plus about 45 minutes each way on days that I ride the train to work, then a bit more off and on when I feel like it. I prefer ebooks in almost all circumstances because of the easy portability of my reader, but I mostly only read fiction. I'd do okay on jeapardy if the categories were right, but I wouldn't expect to do well on the usual random categories they have. I don't really do anything to 'sharpen my brain' as you put it - I just read a lot.

I'd suggest spending those long empty hours at work with a book if your employer is fine with that. It can take time to really get into reading if you aren't used to it though - maybe find a short story anthology or something to help find a genre you like and some respected authors in that genre, and you'll be into it quickly enough.

Also, if you have a diagnosis of ADHD, try to get on aderall. That stuff works miracles for your mind (believe me, I know).

Old 10-01-2013, 05:03 PM

6,191 posts, read 16,213,155 times
I read every day. Usually right before bed for a little while. I've been an "avid reader" since I was about three years old.

I'm smart but am at the age where I can't always recall things quickly LOL, so I would never be a Jeopardy contender.

Your cable and internet bill are $445 a month, seriously? I wouldn't have even thought that possible! I do use the internet a lot but haven't had a TV in over ten years because I don't care much about it; my cable bill is about $45 a month. Why is yours so high?
I listen to National Public Radio mostly at work when I can because it interests and amuses me and keeps me informed.

I do agree that if you're truly ADD/ADHD you should probably make an appointment with a psychiatrist and get on meds.

Reading alone won't make you smarter. If all you read are Harlequin romances or trade paperbacks, I don't think that's going to do much...and there is a lot of thought-provoking and well-written online content.

I also agree that if you want to read more but don't have patience for entire books, look for short story anthologies or essays.

There are websites such as luminosity.com and Coursera that offer brain games, puzzles and online courses for free

Old 10-03-2013, 12:14 PM

522 posts, read 606,247 times
I'm the same as you go to the doctor get tested for add and get in. some meds it will change your life also add is a disability under Americans with disabilities act. if you have any questions just message me.

Old 10-03-2013, 12:24 PM

10,959 posts, read 7,028,659 times
i do not like waiting. long lines? i avoid them like the plague. must be from my time in the navy when long lines on the aircraft carrier made me skip meals, especially thanksgiving day or christmas.

having a good book to take with you makes the time fly by. if i go to an appointment, i take a book. i leave for work early and arrive in the area early and stop at a mcdonalds and get a small coffee, and read my book. i rarely read at home, so i have a book to read for work days. and i arrive at work :30 early, and read. i hate being late for anything.

Old 10-04-2013, 08:49 PM

42,661 posts, read 77,698,159 times
How often do you read? -- Every night for an hour.

Do you think your smart enough to be on jeopardy? -- No, it's not part of my mental order to keep irrelevant details cluttering the intellectual process in order to make every answer a question. I'd never remember to do that.

Do you prefer ebooks or actually real books?-- I've never seen an Ebook

Do you ever watch tv? -- No, except movies or sports on my TV set, but I never watch "TV programs". Many days I don't turn it on.

Get on the internet a lot? --Guess

Do puzzles? -- Crossword-type, but its hard to find any that are difficult enough that I can't do them as fast as I can write, which is boring.

How do you sharpen your brain everyday? -- Reading what I wrote and self-evaluating my argument, usually deleting before sending.

Old 10-08-2013, 08:51 AM

4,456 posts, read 3,936,646 times
Quote:
If you were me how would you sharpen your mind to prepare to go back to college?
hourglass..

I'd just sugegst take your 'interests' or whatever floats your boat and plunge into the book waters...You never know where the literary waters will take you! You may be surprised....;-).....good luck

Old 10-09-2013, 05:30 AM

3,442 posts, read 5,859,606 times
Dump the cable TV first of all. After a while you won't even miss it. Speed doesn't matter when you are reading if you are enjoying the material. The more you read the faster you will get without even trying. To prepare for any college courses, try to read what interests you.

I prefer the old fashioned books to the e reader. I had borrowed one of those for a few months from my daughter to try it out but don't think I will be buying one anytime soon.

Old 10-09-2013, 08:27 AM

42,661 posts, read 77,698,159 times
By the way, it would be much harder to be on Jeopardy then you think at home. The contestants do not see the printed questions, they have to process them by ear only. It is much easier if you can visually read the question, and have it in front of you as you are recalling the answer. Next time you watch Jeopardy, sit with your back to the TV and see how much harder it is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or