Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2007, 07:51 PM

1,343 posts, read 5,167,681 times

Advertisements

You've Been Warned,
What the hell was that about and why did I waste 3 hours reading it? Obviously, James Patterson didn't write this book, but his name was on it as co-author, so I read it. I'm SOOO disappointed. He seems like such a nice guy, but has evidently sold his soul.....

Next.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2007, 12:34 AM

10,481 posts, read 25,275,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssg II View Post
You've Been Warned,
What the hell was that about and why did I waste 3 hours reading it? Obviously, James Patterson didn't write this book, but his name was on it as co-author, so I read it. I'm SOOO disappointed. He seems like such a nice guy, but has evidently sold his soul.....

Next.....
I read a snippet about that book, but decided not to buy it right now. I will probably look for a used copy if I do decide to get it.
I have heard some say that James Patterson has gotten to the point of just writing books to be writing. No more really good plots.

Old 11-19-2007, 06:20 PM

781 posts, read 3,815,705 times
There was another one, Lifeguard, that was also written by him and another writer.....really disappointing too. Seems as if he is selling his name to the highest bidder without any thought to the outcome.

Old 11-19-2007, 10:04 PM

853 posts, read 968,431 times
Default I agree...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssg II View Post
You've Been Warned,

Next.....
You've Been Warned was positively putrid! James Patterson should be ashamed to "take credit" as co-author. Of course, I think he's pretty darn happy with the rapid growth of his bank account.

Old 11-20-2007, 03:38 PM

Now, looking back, I'm wondering exactly how many books he actually wrote....even the ones with nobody else as co-author. (Although the Alex Cross series seem to be the same guy... But Suzanne's Diary didn't.) And what would qualify one to be a co-author? A single sentence?

In a recent interview, he was asked how he could be so prolific. His answer was that he had a limited social life. Limited to other writers, evidently! Greedy, greedy.

Old 11-21-2007, 06:31 PM

325 posts, read 1,076,935 times
I am a member of the Doubleday book club and I read all of the member reviews before buying any book. Sometimes you can take the reviews with a grain of salt because people are always going to be negative no matter what, but I have yet to hear one decent review for You've been warned. I dont think I will buy it unless the book club sells it at some point for 2.99. No one has even said that it was even ok. Thats really disappointing. It seems like the quality of the books written by the authors that are "mass producing" are getting worse by the minute. Danielle Steele is another one who writes terrible book after terrible book. Its really a shame.

Old 11-21-2007, 07:16 PM

853 posts, read 968,431 times
Default My adult daughter (24)....

Quote:
Originally Posted by princesspolamalu View Post
I am a member of the Doubleday book club and I read all of the member reviews before buying any book. Sometimes you can take the reviews with a grain of salt because people are always going to be negative no matter what, but I have yet to hear one decent review for You've been warned. I dont think I will buy it unless the book club sells it at some point for 2.99. No one has even said that it was even ok. Thats really disappointing. It seems like the quality of the books written by the authors that are "mass producing" are getting worse by the minute. Danielle Steele is another one who writes terrible book after terrible book. Its really a shame.
who is deployed overseas refuses to buy another James Patterson book even though she used to be a fan. As a joke, I shipped my copy of You've Been Warned when I finished it. I am sure my DD won't read more than the first few pages, but the laugh (for her and me) was definitely worth the cost of shipping!

Princess, my advice is that $2.99 is way, way, way too much to spend on that particular book. I have an idea... maybe my DD can send it to you instead. hehehehe

Old 11-24-2007, 08:05 PM

3,943 posts, read 6,371,184 times
The Pilots Wife and the Hammer of Eden were both big wastes of my time. I can not believe Ken Follett could write "The Pillars Of the Earth", and "World Without End", and turn out something like The Hammer of Eden. I will never read another Anita Shreve book after the silly "Pilots Wife."

Old 11-26-2007, 07:04 PM

Thanks, Jess!

I meant this to be a thread about recently published books to avoid, not only that Patterson novel, and not necessarily that genre.

Old 11-27-2007, 11:26 AM

690 posts, read 2,629,391 times
Quote:
Danielle Steele is another one who writes terrible book after terrible book.
I completely agree, and that's coming from someone who's read almost everything she's written - I keep trying to cut her some slack and give her more chances. IMO, all her books are about the same thing, essentially: woman has love, loses love to death/other woman/something else, finds new, better love, and lives happily ever after.

Best book she's ever written, IMO, was "Zoya", and she's written nothing remotely like it since.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books