U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2013, 09:42 AM

10,953 posts, read 7,022,782 times

Advertisements

What are your favorite books about "walking the earth"? You know, like in Pulp Fiction:
Quote:
first, i'm going to deliver this case to marcellus, then, basically, i'm just going to walk the earth.

what'cha mean, walk the earth?

you know, like caine in kung fu. walk from place to place, meet people, get into adventures.
One of my favories is Odd Thomas. Wanders from place to place. Works odd jobs. Ace fry cook.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2013, 11:39 AM

80 posts, read 133,300 times
A Time of Gifts by Patrick Leigh Fermor.

It's a memoir of a young man's travels on foot through Europe in the 1930s, before WWII changed the landscape and society. He gets kicked out of school in the UK for having an affair with a local girl and decides to hop a boat from London to Holland, and proceeds from there on foot to the middle Danube, meeting the locals, surveying the scene. There is a second volume which follows our man to Istanbul (Constantinople). Highly recommended!

Old 10-02-2013, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flaneuropa View Post
A Time of Gifts by Patrick Leigh Fermor.

It's a memoir of a young man's travels on foot through Europe in the 1930s, before WWII changed the landscape and society. He gets kicked out of school in the UK for having an affair with a local girl and decides to hop a boat from London to Holland, and proceeds from there on foot to the middle Danube, meeting the locals, surveying the scene. There is a second volume which follows our man to Istanbul (Constantinople). Highly recommended!
That looks really good. I may have to check it out. Thanks.

Old 10-03-2013, 11:50 PM

80 posts, read 133,300 times
You're welcome f.2. Another book that comes to mind, since you mentioned Odd the ace fry cook, is George Orwell's semi-autobiographical early novel Down and Out in Paris and London. In Paris he works in restaurant kitchens 18 hours a day on very little sleep and food, mixes with lowlifes and eccentrics, and the whole scene is vividly portrayed. I remember the London half less well (read this around 1990) but I think it was set in a poorhouse, maybe a factory.

Old 10-04-2013, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flaneuropa View Post
You're welcome f.2. Another book that comes to mind, since you mentioned Odd the ace fry cook, is George Orwell's semi-autobiographical early novel Down and Out in Paris and London. In Paris he works in restaurant kitchens 18 hours a day on very little sleep and food, mixes with lowlifes and eccentrics, and the whole scene is vividly portrayed. I remember the London half less well (read this around 1990) but I think it was set in a poorhouse, maybe a factory.
interesting, thanks! i loved animal farm and 1984.

Old 10-04-2013, 07:59 AM

15,894 posts, read 16,018,353 times
The Places In Between by Rory Stewart.

"In January 2002 Rory Stewart walked across Afghanistan-surviving by his wits, his knowledge of Persian dialects and Muslim customs, and the kindness of strangers. By day he passed through mountains covered in nine feet of snow, hamlets burned and emptied by the Taliban, and communities thriving amid the remains of medieval civilizations. By night he slept on villagers' floors, shared their meals, and listened to their stories of the recent and ancient past. Along the way Stewart met heroes and rogues, tribal elders and teenage soldiers, Taliban commanders and foreign-aid workers. He was also adopted by an unexpected companion-a retired fighting mastiff he named Babur in honor of Afghanistan's first Mughal emperor, in whose footsteps the pair was following.
Through these encounters-by turns touching, con-founding, surprising, and funny-Stewart makes tangible the forces of tradition, ideology, and allegiance that shape life in the map's countless places in between."

This book is certainly not everyone's cup of tea. I thoroughly enjoyed it because I'm interested in the subject matter. The landscape and the culture are major characters in the book. I like that.

Another one that is along the same lines is the wonderful An Unexpected Light by Jason Elliot. When I finished it I cried just as the author did. It's one of the most beautiful books I have ever read. This author is blessed with a writing ability that is beyond compare. Just thinking about the book brings a great feeling of serenity to me. One certainly learns the landscape of Afghanistan as well as the culture of the country. It's a lovely book.

Old 10-04-2013, 02:44 PM

13,145 posts, read 20,138,230 times
My favorite:

Tracks: Robyn Davidson: 9780679762874: Amazon.com: Books

and if you need more pictures in your books to make it through them :

From Alice to Ocean: Alone Across the Outback: Robyn Davidson, Rick Smolan: 9780201632163: Amazon.com: Books

Old 10-04-2013, 02:58 PM

6,191 posts, read 16,211,710 times
Like Odd Thomas, Jack Reacher doesn't quite walk the whole earth but he does wander all over the US (with occasional forays to different countries) having various adventures. I enjoy the books for fast, easy reads.

Jack Reacher - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Bill Bryson has written quite a few very funny and insightful books on travel through different countries.

Books | Bill Bryson

Old 10-04-2013, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
interesting - thanks. added to wish list.

Old 10-04-2013, 11:32 PM

6,095 posts, read 10,054,411 times
My favorites:
John Steinbeck, Travels with Charley: In Search of America - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (Charley is his dog. Priceless observations)
Colin Fletcher, The Man Who Walked Through Time: The Story of the First Trip Afoot Through the Grand Canyon: Colin Fletcher: 9780679723066: Amazon.com: Books (about hiking the length of the Grand Canyon, all alone. It becomes a spiritual journey).
Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia series (also a spiritual journey, with dolphins and white mice... )
Robert M. Pirsig, Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (oh boy did I love that book, in the 70s. It may seem terribly dated now...)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or