Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-12-2013, 09:39 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,757,690 times

Advertisements

It was his very first novel. Written in the early 70's. I wonder why he set it in 1979. I was sort of confused reading it for a while. It mentioned the girl being born around 1962 and it just didn't sound right. Even the movie that came out a few years after the original publication was released in 1976.

One funny thing is that in one part the popular high school girl is daydreaming about her future marriage. Joining a country club as soon as her husband makes "five figure" salary. $11,000. That was really not that much in 1979.

I searched for an answer online. It's hard to picture myself in the early 70's looking towards 1979. In fact, it's impossible. Others have posted the similar questions online but I haven't seen an interesting answer. I'd appreciate any info or ideas anyone may have about this. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2013, 11:39 AM

15,893 posts, read 18,205,735 times
I'll suggest that you post the question at Welcome to StephenKing.com. You might have great success with an answer.

You do bring up an interesting question. My guess about the 5-digit salary is that Carrie was very "protected", naïve and abused by her monster of a mother. She probably had no idea what people actually earned in 1979 when she was 17.

I know Carrie is a fictional character but I really weep for that child. That's the joy of King. He creates characters with such depth that we really get to "know" them.

Old 11-13-2013, 01:21 PM

7,233 posts, read 9,205,954 times
I think it was simply that it was his first book, he didn't know when he started writing it that it would ever be published, and in case it took a while for it to be published, he wanted the story to read 'current.' And the second reason would have been that by setting it a few years in the future, he wouldn't have had to worry about all his facts.

Old 11-13-2013, 03:13 PM

22,827 posts, read 28,049,079 times
A lot of King's early works set the story in the "near future" of the time. The Stand did the same thing --- and had similar problems, especially when they updated it for the '90s. King has admitted that he's always been more of a writer of the moment than he wants to be. All of his pop culture references really help to ground the story in reality, but they soon become outdated. Future generations are going to need footnotes to get the references.

Old 11-15-2013, 09:56 AM

26,574 posts, read 26,433,288 times
That's interesting. Years ago I recall reading that King's wife fished his first few pages of Carrie out of the trash can and encouraged him to finish it. It was the first novel of his that was published, although it was the third or fourth that he had written.

Old 11-15-2013, 02:45 PM

21,385 posts, read 10,427,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
A lot of King's early works set the story in the "near future" of the time. The Stand did the same thing --- and had similar problems, especially when they updated it for the '90s. King has admitted that he's always been more of a writer of the moment than he wants to be. All of his pop culture references really help to ground the story in reality, but they soon become outdated. Future generations are going to need footnotes to get the references.
Yeah, there were some inconsistencies with the update, but it was still a great book. I had read the original version when I was younger, so I understood the references. I'm sure most people can overlook little points like that when the overall story is good.

Old 11-15-2013, 06:17 PM

11,479 posts, read 9,069,277 times
i find myself having to do my own research when reading good books. it does not detract from the story one bit, and you get to learn something new every day. many times i take things with a grain of salt, and then look it up later, and find out for myself if it's plausible, possible, or beyond belief. many times through my own knowledge base i know it's not true from the git go and that the author pulled it out of his shoulder bag. this recognition of inaccuracies are rare and quickly overlooked.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books