U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2015, 04:16 PM

2,208 posts, read 3,047,441 times

Advertisements

I liked this book a lot, it is one you think about long after it is finished. It was a little long, maybe 100 pages too long, but the story is really worth reading. I hope anyone who reads it will enjoy it as much as I did.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2019, 03:23 PM

18,878 posts, read 17,237,877 times
A film had been made from this book, apparently already released in some theaters.

https://time.com/5658419/behind-the-...ldfinch-movie/

Old 09-09-2019, 10:47 AM

32,032 posts, read 50,104,103 times
Haven’t read the book but have seen trailers and wanted to see the movie
But reviews seem very negative...
I go to see many movies that have a bad score on Rotten Tomatoes so that won’t necessarily keep me away
Maybe because so many readers aren’t happy w/the adaptation, I might stand a better shot.

Old 09-09-2019, 09:32 PM

2,540 posts, read 4,172,432 times
I read The Goldfinch shortly after it came out and remember thinking it was one of those books that took a little while to get into but engulfed me pretty quickly and made the initial slog worth it. Oddly, for being a read within the last 5 years I don't remember many details apart from a few specific "scenes" and remembering generally that I enjoyed it. But somehow it stuck with me well enough that when I saw the previews of the movie I thought, no that's not right......

Having said that I encountered one, exactly one, movie that was better in my opinion than the book. Amd that is out of 49 years of voracious reading and admittedly spotty movie-going (that one movie was, BTW, The English Patient). But The Goldfinch was one of those books that, more than most, seemed to benefit from what the reader kind of fills in on the periphery of the narrative. This is what makes reading a book a more intimate and personal experience than a movie, IMO. And while this is always true, it is more true in some books than others, and The Goldfinch was one of those.

Ok I'm officially rambling

Old 09-10-2019, 11:01 AM

24,130 posts, read 20,768,110 times
The commercials for The Goldfinch have been intriguing me. I didn't know it was a book until I popped into this forum today. After reading all the posts, I think I will look into reading the book. I have no problems with reading long books. Thanks for all your conversations about it.

Old 09-15-2019, 03:09 AM

13,389 posts, read 41,823,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrowGirl View Post
I read The Goldfinch shortly after it came out and remember thinking it was one of those books that took a little while to get into but engulfed me pretty quickly and made the initial slog worth it. Oddly, for being a read within the last 5 years I don't remember many details apart from a few specific "scenes" and remembering generally that I enjoyed it.
Same here. There were some vivid scenes, but it was a lengthy yarn, lots going on, which may hurt the film adaptation.
Quote:
Having said that I encountered one, exactly one, movie that was better in my opinion than the book. Amd that is out of 49 years of voracious reading and admittedly spotty movie-going (that one movie was, BTW, The English Patient). But The Goldfinch was one of those books that, more than most, seemed to benefit from what the reader kind of fills in on the periphery of the narrative. This is what makes reading a book a more intimate and personal experience than a movie, IMO. And while this is always true, it is more true in some books than others, and The Goldfinch was one of those.
Agree about The English Patient, the movie was better than the stream-of-consciousness book, and I have enjoyed other works by that author, Michael Ondaatje.

The movie The Goldfinch is here in my city now, but I can't decide whether to see it. It's almost 3 hours long.

Old 09-16-2019, 07:10 AM

18,878 posts, read 17,237,877 times
I usually avoid seeing films adapted from books that I loved. And I loved this book. However, the film reviews seem very positive.

With the kind of complex plot and range of personalities that book critics couldn’t resist calling Dickensian, “Goldfinch” was a challenge to shoehorn into a film, even one that’s two hours and 29 minutes long.

But while the result is not flawless, this a polished, impressive attempt that pays off in the end. It may take awhile to get there, but its themes of loss, longing, heartache and betrayal, not to mention the nature and value of beautiful objects, do ultimately move us.

Though it’s inevitable in a book-to-film project like this that characters will be eliminated, veteran screenwriter Peter Straughan (the Gary Oldman-starring “Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy,” TV’s “Wolf Hall”) has gone one step further and done away with the book’s start-to-finish chronology as well.

Although Tartt’s novel begins with 13-year old Theo Decker and follows him in linear fashion for more than a dozen years, the movie cuts back and forth between the boy and the adult, emphasizing that the past is always present in his life.

https://www.latimes.com/entertainmen...ldfinch-review

Old 09-16-2019, 12:07 PM

260 posts, read 149,346 times
I just saw a review and the headline stated that you're better off reading the book. I think it got one star by the reviewer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books