Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2014, 01:07 PM

1,833 posts, read 3,348,687 times

Advertisements

I do not remember ever not loving books or even learning to read. I remember having a favorite book at a very young age; something about a happy day. I have always been a reader, always carrying a book (or now my Kindle Fire or a book). My sister is the same way. My mom didn't read much when we were growing up, but since she retired, she is reading multiple books a week.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2014, 03:03 PM

2,707 posts, read 2,836,447 times
My Dad used to read me the Sunday funnies as a child, and as I got older, I discovered the many vistas, and wonderful worlds books held within their bindings. Daddy installed lights above our headboards of our beds, and encouraged us to read anytime we wanted. I would read at night sometimes till the book became too heavy for me to hold up, and I would have to turn my light off, and sleep. My Dad also went so far as to make book holders for us to read at the table. As I got older, my appetite became such that I begged for us to go to bookstores, flea markets, or anywhere I could buy books. To this day I still find enjoyment within the pages of a good story.

Old 03-18-2014, 12:23 AM

2,453 posts, read 3,603,472 times
The Children's Book of Knowledge, ca. 1947. There were numerous volumes of this red-leather bound set of encyclopedias in our house. I don't remember how I learned to read them but I loved them. Saw some for sale on eBay.

Complete 20 Vol in 10 Books Book of Knowledge Children's Encyclopedia Grolier | eBay

Old 03-18-2014, 08:33 AM

4,449 posts, read 4,614,742 times
Good to read all the above.....

I think I started in sci-fi and then 'graduated' on......................

If you think about it, books are probably the greatest thing to pass you onto other 'worlds' where your imagination paints with words and thoughts. The best!

Old 03-18-2014, 11:51 AM

3,929 posts, read 2,951,705 times
My mother. She was either reading all the time (she read mysteries) or reading to us (Golden Books, Little Readers). I remember when I was old enough to pick out my own books. I remember going to the library and checking out Sir toby Jingles beastly journey. From there it was adventure books and comics! I loved the choose your own adventure series, archie comics and the Serendipity series.

Then of course I discovered books like Where the Red Fern Grows, My Side of the Mountain, Anne of Green gables, Little House on the Prairie...

I just love reading. Thanks mom.

Old 03-18-2014, 02:41 PM

20,548 posts, read 30,380,896 times
My parents were divorced when I was growing up. My father used to pick me up every Saturday from 11-2. Many times for lack of other local things to do he would take me to the bookstore. I got many books there and that started my love of books and reading. From there I learned to love the library

Old 04-10-2014, 06:50 AM

27 posts, read 34,354 times
at first it had been peer pressure..but now i love to read...reading gives u a vast xperience

Old 04-10-2014, 08:41 AM
Q44

894 posts, read 1,029,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by younglisa7 View Post
My parents were divorced when I was growing up. My father used to pick me up every Saturday from 11-2. Many times for lack of other local things to do he would take me to the bookstore. I got many books there and that started my love of books and reading. From there I learned to love the library
Similar story except I had no father and mom had me as a teenager. We were on welfare and I was on the free lunch program at school. I could never order when the other kids bought books from Scholastic but the teacher gave me the "extra books that came by mistake". Think it was in the 3rd grade the school took us over to the library and we got our first cards. Free books to borrow, couldn't beat that.

Old 04-14-2014, 03:31 PM

10,113 posts, read 10,962,389 times
I was raised in a family of readers. We did not have a TV, we had books. We worked crossword puzzles and jigsaw puzzles and read. The whole family would visit our public library together and I still love going to the library today.

When I was 14 years old, my dad bought me a TV, put it in my room but by then I was hooked on reading. My husband was raised on TV and reads the newspaper that's it.

Old 04-17-2014, 11:53 AM

19,784 posts, read 15,104,274 times
My father. He used to read to us, and I began to love the written word because of him.

The first book I fell in love with was To Kill a Mockingbird. No other book has made me laugh and tear up at the same time.

Other books that I hated when I was assigned them in school, but learned to love afterward:

The Grapes of Wrath, The Man in the Iron Mask, Les Miserables, David Copperfield, Nicholas Nickelby.

Books that I started to read out of curiosity and couldn't put down:

Frankenstein, Dracula, the Lord of the Rings triology, The Red Dragon, Jaws, the Exorcist.

Recent reads:

Under the Dome, 1963, Doctor Sleep (I'm a Stephen King fan).

I got a Kindle fire two christmases ago, and it was the best gift ever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books