U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2014, 02:04 PM

398 posts, read 608,015 times

Advertisements

The Stand (of course), and I second Midnight in the Garden of Good & Evil. Anything by Sarah Addison Allen, kind of chick-lit but good.

Dean Koontz's Phantoms has been a favorite for many years, but I'm pretty sure it's not for everyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2014, 09:01 PM

15,609 posts, read 6,899,496 times
I know it's sounds silly, but I love reading the Harry Potter series. It would be great for slump-busting. They are easy reads, but page-turners. The story starts out slow, but picks up pretty quickly. I'd say the further along in the series you get, the less it seems like a children's story. And it sucks me in every single time I pick it up, which isn't all that often these days. I used to read them all each time a new book was published in the series, but since that hasn't happened for a few years I haven't done so. The last time I read them was to my own children three years ago, which was an excellent experience. My kids still talk about that. I feel like it's something they'll always remember fondly because we had so much fun.

Old 01-18-2014, 06:43 PM

3,179 posts, read 2,501,189 times
Wanted to update that I just started As the Crow Flies, and I was hooked from page 1. thank you. (now I really hope I can stick with it- it's a great read and a great story so if I don't finish it, it's me not the book).

Old 01-21-2014, 06:35 PM

2,472 posts, read 2,148,086 times
Any of Asimov's fiction or any of Emile Zola's novels if you're not into science fiction

Old 02-18-2014, 05:16 PM

3,179 posts, read 2,501,189 times
well I guess it took me a month to read (with the majority of days no reading at all.) I finished it and really thought it was superb. The disadvantage to taking so long to finish it is that some details and storylines got a little hazy for me. I will look for more by Jeffrey Archer. This is when I realize why some authors are so popular. It was so well done. Just when I thought it was so predictable- it was totally not
As the Crow Flies.
. thanks for the suggestions

Last edited by Mayvenne; 02-18-2014 at 05:17 PM.. Reason: name of book was omitted

Old 03-14-2015, 08:26 AM

42,661 posts, read 77,119,864 times
If "getting back to reading" im,plies someone who hasn't read anything in the past couple of decades, there has been an explosion in really good readable authors in recent years. There is a great deal more good literature now than there ever was before.

A good place to start looking is the recent titles on the Booker Prize list:

List of winners and shortlisted authors of the Booker Prize for Fiction - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

There are a few books on that list that I read and thought were complete duds, but in general, if you read several titles of Booker nonimees, you will be rewarded. A word of warning, though. Literature in recent years has become highly politicized, and many books are lauded not because of their genuine literary merit, but because they stroke people's need to assert diversity. As in "We need to give more awards to [insert ethnicity] writers".

Old 03-14-2015, 01:57 PM

8,579 posts, read 4,735,720 times
When I'm in a reading slump,I can never be sure what will bring me out of it,but I highly doubt......though I have never tried... a previously read book.

I rarely re-read books[the enthusiasm just is not there].

I seem to have the most luck with something humorous like How Not To Live Abroad by Shaun Briley or a good thriller such as Angels & Demons by Dan Brown

Old 04-28-2018, 06:31 AM

20,546 posts, read 27,279,886 times
I'll bump this since Mayvenne posted the link in another thread

I usually burn out with reading a couple of times a year. That usually happens because of life getting too busy and/or I have read too many heavy books. At that point I need fluff. So I will usually pick up a romance(gasp) or a YA novel.

Old 04-28-2018, 03:51 PM

15,894 posts, read 15,916,357 times
I fall back on Andrew Greeley's books featuring Blackie Ryan.

I also fall back on Faye Kellerman and her Decker/Lazarus series

I've read all of both series and I started over last week. I have lots of books to read that are new to me but I'm just not in the mood for them. I'm halfway through Comey's book, too. I had to give it a rest because I am totally burned out on politics these days.

I have Michener's "Texas" on the kindle but the book is over 1000 pages. I don't even want to begin it but I will one of these days.

Old 04-28-2018, 03:56 PM

27,091 posts, read 7,263,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
I fall back on Andrew Greeley's books featuring Blackie Ryan.

I also fall back on Faye Kellerman and her Decker/Lazarus series

I've read all of both series and I started over last week. I have lots of books to read that are new to me but I'm just not in the mood for them. I'm halfway through Comey's book, too. I had to give it a rest because I am totally burned out on politics these days.

I have Michener's "Texas" on the kindle but the book is over 1000 pages. I don't even want to begin it but I will one of these days.

I have several Michener books, Iberia, Centennial, Poland....but like you I keep putting off starting them...so long...

Have read many F Kellerman books too, and her husband Jonathan Kellerman's crime books....when I need a break from serious tomes
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or