Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2014, 04:02 AM

2,678 posts, read 2,099,919 times

Advertisements

I didn't like when they got rid of the card catalogs. Can't imagine a library with no physical books.

CSD610, you can use the tablet in the kitchen like this.
Knallerfrauen- iPad - YouTube
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2014, 08:34 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,394,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post

Where do you stand on this?

Old 05-25-2014, 06:00 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,672,796 times

Argh!!!

[Running out of the room in horror]

Old 06-05-2014, 08:03 PM

30,353 posts, read 51,942,966 times
We actually discussed this in a meeting (I'm a librarian) recently, and all came to the same conclusion... libraries will never go 100% digital, at least not within our lifetimes, as there are still SOOOO many things you cannot get online/digitally. It might seem like everything is available in digital form, if you're the type of person who just reads novels and does "basic" research (i.e. looking up local addresses/numbers) - but for those whose needs are more academic, esoteric, etc, some materials are still only available in print.

And do you know how much man/woman-power it would take, not to mention time & money, to transfer every single printed resource/book to digital form? Let's just say your money is better spent in funding traditional libraries, especially since they provide much more than just books these days (children's programs, community activities & referrals, computer/WiFi access, movies, classes, etc). Don't get me wrong, I think the concept of a digital library is cool, and most public libraries are adding more & more digital materials now... we just don't see ALL libraries, or even most, being able to eliminate the need for printed materials altogether. Not to mention, an automated library wouldn't have us helpful library professionals to guide and support you.

Old 06-05-2014, 08:13 PM

30,353 posts, read 51,942,966 times
Btw: We recently started offering (in-library use only) iPads for children to borrow, with a number of educational games and books already pre-loaded. So far it's only received a lukewarm reception, and this is in Silicon Valley... so it's not like our patrons are uncomfortable with technology, considering many of these parents probably work for Apple, Google, etc.

The kids (and adults/teens) still just love holding a book in their hands, sitting their child in their laps to share that book together, and so forth. Despite what some folks think about the "eBook revolution," our circulation numbers are even HIGHER than they were 10 years ago. Proven fact that when the economy sinks and unemployment rises, library use increases, yet they still try to cut our funding whenever that happens? Not everyone can afford an e-device or book purchases, either, so going fully digital would pretty much defeat our whole philosophy of "equal access to all."

Old 06-14-2014, 08:41 AM

522 posts, read 715,786 times
I like hard copy books occasionally I will read a e-book. it just seems impersonal to read an e-book I mean what if you spill something on your screen say bye bye

Old 06-19-2014, 07:04 AM

12,270 posts, read 11,329,966 times
I work in a library that lends out ebooks and books. There was an initial buzz about the ebooks that's since tapered off to almost nil. As one patron put it about books..."I don't have to charge it and I don't have to worry about dropping it."

So at this point, when offered a choice, patrons overwhelmingly opt for books.

The only time the ebooks actually became popular was when loaded John Green's The Fault in Our Stars. There is a strict two week lending period backed up by hefty fines, so people were motivated to get the ebook back on time.

Last edited by Dockside; 06-19-2014 at 07:12 AM..

Old 06-19-2014, 07:17 AM

1,833 posts, read 3,351,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockside View Post
The only time the ebooks actually became popular was when loaded John Green's The Fault in Our Stars. There is a strict two week lending period backed up by hefty fines, so people were motivated to get the ebook back on time.
The e-book doesn't automatically return? At our library (which by the way there is talk about expanding so our library isn't going anywhere) has it set up to automatically return. E-books are still popular at our library as are other books. There's always a lot of people at the library, but the hold lists for popular e-books are usually much longer than hold lists for the hard copies (and not just the newest popular books).

I don't see libraries going anywhere. I use ours for both e-books and hard copies. I just swung by the drive-thru return yesterday and dropped off about 10-12 books that 2 of my kids and I had gotten.

Old 06-19-2014, 05:00 PM

12,270 posts, read 11,329,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fromupthere View Post
The e-book doesn't automatically return? At our library (which by the way there is talk about expanding so our library isn't going anywhere) has it set up to automatically return. E-books are still popular at our library as are other books. There's always a lot of people at the library, but the hold lists for popular e-books are usually much longer than hold lists for the hard copies (and not just the newest popular books).

I don't see libraries going anywhere. I use ours for both e-books and hard copies. I just swung by the drive-thru return yesterday and dropped off about 10-12 books that 2 of my kids and I had gotten.
We do lend out e-books that patrons can download to a variety of e-readers through a company called Overdrive and they return automatically. We also lend out a mix of the physical e-readers including the Nook and two kinds of Kindles...and after an initial burst of enthusiasm, that program has tapered off.

While I still prefer a physical book, I love a couple books loaded on my tablet for vacations, and I love having a book on my smartphone's Kindle app for commuting or the MD's office. With colleges starting to switch from physical textbooks to e-textbooks a whole generation is going to get used to e-readers only. It's sort of sad...but I do like my Kindle app.

Old 06-19-2014, 08:06 PM

1,833 posts, read 3,351,545 times
My library has some books that are on Overdrive, I download through Amazon, and I think it is epub where you can read in your browser. I imagine with the variety of ereaders and tablets and the affordability of them, people probably are less apt to rent one.

I love reading on my tablet or an actual book. The teens I know who read like both too with some prefering hard copies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books