Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2014, 08:43 AM

37,800 posts, read 41,003,240 times

Advertisements

"Texas has seen the future of the public library, and it looks a lot like an Apple Store: Rows of glossy iMacs beckon. iPads mounted on a tangerine-colored bar invite readers. And hundreds of other tablets stand ready for checkout to anyone with a borrowing card. That makes Bexar County's BibiloTech the nation's only bookless public library, a distinction that has attracted scores of digital bookworms, plus emissaries from as far away as Hong Kong who want to learn about the idea and possibly take it home."

More here:

Texas library offers glimpse of bookless future - New York News

Where do you stand on this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2014, 05:33 PM

1,035 posts, read 1,709,285 times
While I believe digital books have a place. I love my Kindle Fire and take it everywhere with me. Nothing will replace an actuall physical book that you can hold in your hand.

Old 01-09-2014, 10:04 AM

4,585 posts, read 12,364,009 times
If it gets people reading again, I have no problem with it. I switch to a tablet and love it, so much more convenient. Lending books have gotten so nasty and germy, it's the reason I did finally buy a tablet.

Old 01-10-2014, 10:21 AM

15,592 posts, read 15,665,527 times
Personally, I find that horrifying.

And, to the best of my knowledge, germs wouldn't be an issue, as they don't live long on surfaces.

Old 01-15-2014, 07:13 AM

5,114 posts, read 6,090,275 times
I read that when libraries 'buy' a digital book it is only good for a set number of loans (I was told 26) and that it then ceases to exist. Now I know that physical books do where out after a while but I wouldn't think it was that low.

If digital books do have a limited life I question some claims that have been made by budget concious proponents about reducing costs to public library budgets by going digital.

Has anyone else heard of this?

Old 01-15-2014, 10:00 AM

3,961 posts, read 11,020,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidValleyDad View Post
I read that when libraries 'buy' a digital book it is only good for a set number of loans (I was told 26) and that it then ceases to exist. Now I know that physical books do where out after a while but I wouldn't think it was that low.

If digital books do have a limited life I question some claims that have been made by budget concious proponents about reducing costs to public library budgets by going digital.

Has anyone else heard of this?
I do know our library can show a certain e-book but it is listed the same as with a physical book, movie, etc. in that there seems to be a limit on the # that can take it out at a given time (it's not endless). It can also be placed on hold like other formats as well until it does become "available". Perhaps that's where the # of loans you mention come into play; maybe not a limit on time just qty at once?

Old 01-15-2014, 11:18 AM

5,114 posts, read 6,090,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger17 View Post
I do know our library can show a certain e-book but it is listed the same as with a physical book, movie, etc. in that there seems to be a limit on the # that can take it out at a given time (it's not endless). It can also be placed on hold like other formats as well until it does become "available". Perhaps that's where the # of loans you mention come into play; maybe not a limit on time just qty at once?
No if they bought one copy they can only loan out one copy at a time. It was reported that once the ebook had been loaned out 26 times TOTAL it was removed from the catalog and had to be repurchased.

Old 01-15-2014, 12:49 PM

1,833 posts, read 3,350,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidValleyDad View Post
No if they bought one copy they can only loan out one copy at a time. It was reported that once the ebook had been loaned out 26 times TOTAL it was removed from the catalog and had to be repurchased.
I wonder how accurate that information is as I know there are hold lists at my library well above 26. If it really is 26, they must replace it quickly so it does not get removed and the list doesn't "go away".

I agree with ReturningWest that if it gets people reading it's a good thing. However, I would be sad to see all libraries go this direction.

Old 01-24-2014, 10:49 PM

2,734 posts, read 4,150,019 times
I love my Kindle but I also love physical books. It would be sad to see all libraries become "bookless" because for one things not all books are out in e-book format (older books for example).

Also, large coffee-table type books are much better in physical format, especially design, art, and photography books.

Old 01-24-2014, 10:53 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,230,433 times
I'm good with it overall, I have a Kindle and have replaced many of my own physical books.
I will not replace my physical cookbooks though unless I absolutely have to.
I like the actual book in front of me when I am using one of the recipes as a guideline and I am not the cleanest cook in the world either.
I know my Kindle would not survive one meal if I had to use it in the kitchen for a recipe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books