Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2014, 09:04 AM

50,370 posts, read 63,964,084 times

Advertisements

The woman has a screw lose. In this free country, ably depicted in Rockwell's art, she is free to write whatever drivel she can get published. If the museum sells his book, it is the most troubling part of the story.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2014, 09:22 AM

6,981 posts, read 10,948,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
The woman has a screw lose. In this free country, ably depicted in Rockwell's art, she is free to write whatever drivel she can get published. If the museum sells his book, it is the most troubling part of the story.
So many people today are obsessed with a whole bunch of stuff that doesn't matter. Our whole society is going nuts. It's actually kind of scary what some people think it's worth spending their time on and worrying about. They need to get a life, and we need to stop glorifying people who are insane.

Old 01-19-2014, 12:22 PM

10,113 posts, read 10,966,721 times
When we allowed "political correctness" to enter "common sense" departed. In The Runaway painting wonder if she noticed the cigarette in the guy's mouth behind the counter. Poor little fellow, the man was blowing second hand smoke on the kid.

I guess people can find whatever they want to in any painting or picture. It's sad to see the museum endorsing the book. But if they didn't it would really cause a big brouhaha.

Old 03-22-2020, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzleman View Post
You're so right. My grandparents could have been in a Norman Rockwell painting. There's nothing wrong with that imagery. People today are so wharped and extreme, and their views on the world so skewed. I have Norman Rockwell's Four Seasons series prints in my house, hanging in the kitchen. I like them and I intend to keep them.

I don't care that much about Norman Rockwell's private life in any case. I accept the past for what it was. It had good and bad, as the present does. It's funny though that so many of the people who are always obsessing on how bad the past was are the ones who are making the present day world such an awful place.

Cardinal rule: Don't criticize other people's ideals unless you have something better to offer. As far as that something better is concerned, I'm not seeing it from the people who are the loudest critics today. It's a very sad time we live in.
So true! Norman Rockwell was an amazing painter. I saw an exhibit of his oil paintings, and his talent is unquestioned, not only as an illustrator, but as a fine artist. If someone has an issue with his optimistic view of American life, then I am sorry for them.

He painted life from his perspective. He painted the life I knew. It was my perspective too....New England, two parents, respect for the flag and the military and all the other things that made America what it is today. I feel sorry for the society that can’t relate to the way it was.

Old 03-23-2020, 11:02 AM

4,530 posts, read 8,865,904 times
[quote=GrandviewGloria;32965323]I stumbled upon this quite by accident. I'm no Norman Rockwell fan. As a brown person, I've somehow felt reproached by Rockwell's imagery, from the days when America was a Norse Protestant place. My Decorator, despised and ridiculed since the age of four, for being "not an all-boy, real-boy", always felt "slapped-in-the-face", when confronted with Rockwell illustrations, which seemed inevitably to portray wholesome, down-to-earth All-American types - the opposite of himself and his elitist family. Today, though, we've both come to appreciate what Rockwell's work stands for - and realize that minorities and Gays have it really good here in America - entirely because of the values left here by that vanished Norse Protestant Founding Stock portrayed by Norman Rockwell. I think that Deborah Solomon should be more grateful and less greedy (I presume she and I are of the same faith, although any association with her makes me feel ashamed and dirty). I presume it was greed which led her to sensationalize, demonize, and fictionalize Mr. Rockwell's life. Honestly, I wish she'd change her last name to something less readily identifiable.

Norman Rockwell's heirs slam 'homophobic' book riddled with errors as they dispute insinuations he was homosexual | Mail Online[/QUOTE

When I was growing up there were certain types of people we called P.I.S.S. Ants. I did not know there was a derogatory biography on Norman Rockwell out there. A PA never has the guts to do something face to face. Derogatory books were written about J. Edgar Hoover and Walt Disney after they died also.

FWIW Mark Twain has been called a racist. Hucklerry Finn was one of his so called racist books supposedly because of his character in the book "****** Jim". If there is any ONE person in the past two hundred years that has done more to show sympathy for the plight of the Black race it could only be MLK.

Old 03-24-2020, 05:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
Nice of you all to be so obliging to attack and criticize the book without taking the trouble of reading it or analyzing any of the evidence the author presents.

I haven't read it myself: no interest in the sappy, conventional illustrator who is unaccountably popular in this country.
Have you seen his original paintings? You can disagree with their content, but he was a talented artist.

Old 03-28-2020, 03:12 AM

1,938 posts, read 702,566 times
That woman sounds like a total whack job. Her brain is swimming in perversion. I've been to his museum in Stockbridge - it's pretty cool. They also have his studio on the property. Had a pipe on display and an empty bottle of
Coke. He liked Coca-cola. There were some interesting back stories to some of his paintings. He used a lot of local
people as models. There was a painting about religion/worship. A man who looks like a Jewish rabbi was really Norman's Irish Catholic mailman. He also did a painting of a young couple signing their marriage license. The clerk
in it was recently widowed at that time. He looks a little sad in the painting thinking about how he lost what
they're just starting...Always liked his artwork and the stories they tell....

I wonder how she'd interpret Mona Lisa's smile. Fantasizing about some orgy, perhaps??

Last edited by 2 Scoops; 03-28-2020 at 03:34 AM.. Reason: typos
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books