U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2014, 01:07 PM

42,661 posts, read 78,426,540 times

Advertisements

"Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea", by Jules Verne, the first grown-up book I ever read.

"Pogo", the collected works of Walt Kelly. I grew up among swamp critters who could quote Omar Khayyam..

"One, Two, Three . . . Infinity" by George Gamow, erased the line between science and whimsy.

"Tao-te King",
by Lao Tzu. Required reading in a Comparative Religion class. Validated what was in my soul.

"Let Us Now Praise Famous Men"
by James Agee. America as it needs to be known, understood, remembered,

Last edited by jtur88; 02-21-2014 at 01:16 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2014, 07:11 PM

20,301 posts, read 20,334,847 times
Hemmingway- The Old Man and the Sea. It pretty much sums up the human condition. Hero to zero the second you hit hard times.

Old 02-28-2014, 07:09 AM

758 posts, read 889,046 times
Philosophy of History by G.W.F. Hegel

It changed my way of looking at history and historical events completely.

Old 02-28-2014, 08:04 AM

35,936 posts, read 35,905,908 times
The book I refer to the most is "The Big Sort" by Bill Bishop so I'm going to have to say that one. It's about self-sorting; people deliberately moving to live with people who think and act just like they do these days. It was a hit with my book group.

The book has its own website:

"America may be more diverse than ever coast to coast, but the places where we live are becoming increasingly crowded with people who live, think, and vote like we do. This social transformation didn't happen by accident. We've built a country where we can all choose the neighborhood and church and news show — most compatible with our lifestyle and beliefs. And we are living with the consequences of this way-of-life segregation. Our country has become so polarized, so ideologically inbred, that people don't know and can't understand those who live just a few miles away. The reason for this situation, and the dire implications for our country, is the subject of this ground-breaking work."

Home

Old 03-03-2014, 05:09 PM

5 posts, read 2,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
"Catcher in the Rye" turned me into a teen rebel the same as a great many others, but more influential on me was the first Bill James Baseball Abstract published in 1982. I was absolutely, utterly captivated by the power of his logical presentations, by his ability to cut straight to what was relevant and ignore the noise, and by his willingness to stand by his ideas because he knew that he was right, even in the face of traditionalists heaping scorn upon him.

Baseball aside, this book, along with the others which followed, was the best lesson I have ever received in the proper way to think about things.
catcher in the rye is literally the only book to read if you look different....for instance say you have a weird patch of grey hair on your head......all you need to know is that he knew everyone at a football game was a phony and that he had to pay even though he didn't have sex just like what happens to ugly people in society.....people who don't fall in love get destroyed by loneliness to such a point where there is no reason to learn anything because they would only use their knowledge to build a bomb/laser to get everyone back for worshiping beauty or walking around with their nose in the clouds...sports is just another way we can waste gas carting everyone around constantly....running is the only thing thats real and thats exactly what holden caulfield was doing...running away from society and thats the example all the great INDIE musicians follow....indie music is called because they supposedly all want us to switch to that lifestyle....think about what this book has done for the world and realize that jd salinger is more important than jesus because hes supposedly real(not the government) even though they know every time one buys a copy).....- Woodlandsarms

Old 03-07-2014, 09:33 PM

1,519 posts, read 1,442,330 times
the World As Will by Schopenhauer

Old 03-10-2014, 01:44 AM

1,232 posts, read 934,707 times
Crime and Punishment for its meditation on "getting eaten by an idea" as well as on redemption. It's one that I can read again and again.

Maus by Spiegelman. Odd since it is a graphic novel- something I generally never read. In reading it, though, I found that being in that form gave it an added dimension of emotion with the evocative drawings. A very personal look at the multi-generational consequences of the Holocaust.

Old 03-10-2014, 04:12 AM

16,408 posts, read 27,843,450 times
Of a Happy Life by Seneca

Old 03-10-2014, 10:21 AM

395 posts, read 486,286 times
To Kill a Mockingbird
The Prophet
The Tale of the Unknown Island

Old 03-10-2014, 09:42 PM

251 posts, read 238,187 times
Outliers
NutureShock
Battle Hymn of a Tiger Mom
Freakonomics
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books