U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2014, 06:31 PM

200 posts, read 139,741 times

Advertisements

"Crime and Punishment" by Fyodor Dostoyevsky.
We all have to live with our consciences.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2014, 08:51 AM

3,935 posts, read 2,462,129 times
Books that affected me in some way shape or form:

My side of the mountain
The Cay
Island of the Blue Dolphins
Anne of Green Gables
Little House on the Prairie
Caddie Woodlawn
To All My Fans, With Love, From Sylvie
The Clan of the Cave Bear
Where the Red Fern Grows
The Road
Sideways Stories From Wayside School
Dead Sea
The Bell Jar
Johnny Panic and the Bible of Dreams
Where the Sidewalk Ends
Drop City
Little Miss Strange
Flowers for Algernon

I suppose the list could go on and on, but each of the books listed were books that made me feel better, got me thinking about myself, made me laugh, showed me courage, made me question everything, gave me ideas, made me passionate about things, gave me hope, helped me see clearer.... books are awesome that way. Sometimes books come at a time when you really need them or are so unexpected. Sometimes books take me a while to get into at all but I find them to be the most profound....

Old 03-13-2014, 10:17 AM

4,456 posts, read 3,981,769 times
Quote:
"Crime and Punishment" by Fyodor Dostoyevsky.
We all have to live with our consciences.
Dostoyevsky...one of the sharpest and most deepsest thinker-psychologist-writers of the human condition that ever lived. A man for all time. Getting reprieved within seconds of execution certianly does something to a man.

Old 03-17-2014, 03:55 PM

51 posts, read 110,978 times
Everything by Carl Sagan, and "The Denial of Death" by Ernest Becker.

Old 03-24-2014, 11:40 AM

8,665 posts, read 4,879,061 times
Why I Believed by Kenneth W. Daniels

Why I Believed: Reflections of a Former Missionary: Kenneth W Daniels: 9780578003887: Amazon.com: Books

The Book Your Church Doesn't Want You to Read by Tim C. Leedom

The Book Your Church Doesn't Want You to Read: Tim C. Leedom: 9780939040155: Amazon.com: Books

Breaking the Spell: Religion as a Natural Phenomenon by Daniel C. Dennett

Amazon.com: Breaking the Spell: Religion as a Natural Phenomenon (9780670034727): Daniel C. Dennett: Books

Farewell to God: My Reasons for Rejecting the Christian Faith by Charles Templeton

Farewell to God: My Reasons for Rejecting the Christian Faith: Charles Templeton: 9780771085086: Amazon.com: Books

Society Without God: What the Least Religious Nations Can Tell Us about Contentment by Phil Zuckerman

Society without God: What the Least Religious Nations Can Tell Us About Contentment: Phil Zuckerman: 9780814797235: Amazon.com: Books

They make more sense than the bible/preachers ever did!

Old 03-26-2014, 10:20 AM

2,321 posts, read 2,269,289 times
1984, George Orwell. I read it in 1982 and remember thinking with a slight sense of doom, "I bet he's right."

Living in the Light, Shakti Gawain. Showed me how to practically apply meaning to life that I already sensed and knew was present.

A Prayer for Owen Meany, John Irving.

Anne Sexton: A Self-Portrait in Letters, Lois Ames, Linda Gray Sexton, editors.

The Awakening, Kate Chopin.

Camille Claudel: A Life, Odile Ayral-Clause.

The Secret Garden, Frances Hodgson Burnett.

Letters to a Young Poet, Rainer Maria Rilke.

East of Eden, John Steinbeck.

and these two short stories, but they affected me nonetheless:

"Shifting," Ann Beattie.

"Bartleby the Scrivener," Herman Melville.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books