U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2014, 11:11 PM

6,349 posts, read 3,832,705 times

Advertisements

I might sound like a nerd but can you please hook me up with a book similar to Skyrim? I loved Skyrim but I'd also like to read a magical fantasy adventure. Thank you.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2014, 02:15 AM

1,464 posts, read 943,149 times
Kevdawgg...I asked my son what he would recommend, since he is a gamer and a voracious reader. (He has read all of the HALO Novels, and all of the "Books" from Skyrim, among many others.)

He suggested an author named Patrick Rothfuss who writes a series of fantasy novels called:
"The Kingkiller Chronicles". Book #1 is titled: "The Name of the Wind", Book#2: "The Wise Man's Fear".
There are to be more novels to come in the series.

Also adding:
The first of an upcoming ten part epic-fantasy series of books, is the book titled:
"The Way of Kings" by Brandon Sanderson.

Brandon Sanderson has many books out in this same genre of fantasy adventure.

Hope you find more to add to these.

(ETA: I wanted to add the great fantasy novel author Robert Jordan. I am sure you are already familiar with his many interesting books, and he as also written a few with Sanderson.)

Last edited by Besitomio; 03-02-2014 at 02:45 AM..

Old 03-03-2014, 10:48 AM

18,815 posts, read 22,508,802 times
Do you want a good story or good writing or both?

Old 03-04-2014, 11:37 PM

6,349 posts, read 3,832,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
Do you want a good story or good writing or both?
Both as long as it's similar to Skyrim

Old 03-05-2014, 07:44 AM

So by "similar to Skyrim" do you mean an early medieval setting with magic, dragons, elves, etc., combined with a gritty feel? If so...

The Conan stories by Robert E. Howard. Not a whole lot of dragons, but lots of monsters, and Howard pretty much set the standard for gritty sword and sorcery. His prose tends toward the purple, but it never fails to be fun.

The Dark Elf (Drizzt) books by R.A. Salvatore. The prose will never be called elegant, but for these types of stories, it's functional. Lots of gritty action, dragons, monsters, magic, etc. The one drawback is that Salvatore has a fondness for comic relief that sometimes is at odds with the rest of the tone of his story. For example, he has a dwarf character named Tred McNuckles in one book. I have no idea why so many of his dwarf characters get Scottish names.

Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn trilogy by Tad Williams. Start with the Dragonbone Chair. This series feels more high Middle Ages than semi-barbarian, but it is the Silverado of Fantasy fiction. Spectacular story. Elegant prose (I though Williams was British the first time I read it, because his prose is so good).

The Waterborn and The Blackgod by J. Gregory Keyes. Keyes also wrote some books that tie in to the Elder Scrolls (of which Skyrim is a part), but I haven't read them.

You might try David Gemmell's Drenai series. Gemmell's books are what I describe as "tough guy" fantasy. If they ever do a movie based on any of his books, they'll have to bring Lee Marvin and Charles Bronson back from the dead to star. Or at the very least find a way to shave 40 years off Clint Eastwood.

Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time series ... ehh, maybe. The series really isn't medieval so much as a late Renaissance culture without gunpowder. No dragons (at least in the sense of Skyrim). The story is fun at times, and Jordan was a great world builder, but his prose is an example of bad writing.

Old 03-05-2014, 12:00 PM

1,516 posts, read 1,970,176 times
Ah another Skyrim player!! Loved that game and am happily signed up for Elder Scrolls Online.

Another recommendation is the Sword of Truth series by Terry Goodkind. Some of the books dragged on and he could get really preachy too. Overall a pretty good read although I found the earlier books more exciting than the later ones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time series ... ehh, maybe. The series really isn't medieval so much as a late Renaissance culture without gunpowder. No dragons (at least in the sense of Skyrim). The story is fun at times, and Jordan was a great world builder, but his prose is an example of bad writing.
lol, I finally finished the series this summer after many attempts. I found that it got really tiring after a bit. I had to space out my readings. One Jordan book, a couple of library books then back to Jordan. The fellow who finished up the series after Jordan's passing did a pretty good job of writing and I had a more enjoyable read.

Old 03-05-2014, 03:05 PM

578 posts, read 1,180,612 times
Check out the obvious Game of Thrones, and the less well known Deeds of Paksennarian by Elizabeth Moon. Awesome books.

Old 03-06-2014, 07:01 AM

I enjoy Game of Thrones a lot too. But it doesn't feel much like Skyrim.

Old 07-05-2014, 08:39 PM

1 posts, read 15,476 times
A good few options I think are:

Trudi Canavan's Black Magician Trilogy. It reminds me a little of the College in Winterhold.
Alison Croggon's Books of Pellinor. They're quite similar to Trudi Canavan's but it's more focused on travelling than schools.
David Dalglish's Shadowdance series. If you liked the Thieves' Guild, this one's pretty awesome for that. It follows a guild master and his son etc. There's sorcery and action and it's pretty awesome.

Old 07-06-2014, 11:56 AM

8,092 posts, read 13,915,926 times
What about the Guardians of the Flame series? By Joel Rosenberg - a group of college students who participate in a fantasy role-playing game, and are magically transported to the world of the game by their gamemaster.

The Sleeping Dragon (1983)
The Sword and the Chain (1984)
The Silver Crown (1985)
The Heir Apparent (1987)
The Warrior Lives (1988)
The Road to Ehvenor (1991)
The Road Home (1995)
Not Exactly the Three Musketeers (1999)
Not Quite Scaramouche (2001)
Not Really the Prisoner of Zenda (2003)
Legacy (2004) - reprint of The Heir Apparent and The Warrior Lives
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or