Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2014, 07:23 AM

3,848 posts, read 7,933,983 times

Advertisements

I'm so frustrated cause I want to find a decent book that I can get into. I don't like Thrillers/mystery or horror. Usually don't like modern day setting (prefer more like "Little Women" type settings) but if it's good I'll give it a try. I tried East of Eden, was bored to tears, tried Cosmopolis and dear lord that was not for me! I guess I'm more of a time period kinda girl (60's or earlier) but I just don't know what's out there. I need some suggestions! I also enjoy books set in New England. Help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2014, 07:41 AM

4,105 posts, read 5,532,175 times
Join Goodreads. You'll find lots of advice on any type of book. www.goodreads.com

Old 03-06-2014, 07:57 AM

3,848 posts, read 7,933,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ameriscot View Post
Join Goodreads. You'll find lots of advice on any type of book. Share Book Recommendations With Your Friends, Join Book Clubs, Answer Trivia
OH awesome thank u!

Old 03-06-2014, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbottoms View Post
OH awesome thank u!
I recommend The Book Thief if you haven't read it.

Old 03-06-2014, 09:09 AM

1,833 posts, read 3,338,553 times
I second The Book Thief and also recommend The Paris Architect. Also check out the Outlander series by Diana Gabaldon. There are currently 7 books in the series with #8 coming out in June. (It took me probably 75 pages or so to get into the first one so don't give up immediately if you think you might enjoy.)

Old 03-06-2014, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fromupthere View Post
I second The Book Thief and also recommend The Paris Architect. Also check out the Outlander series by Diana Gabaldon. There are currently 7 books in the series with #8 coming out in June. (It took me probably 75 pages or so to get into the first one so don't give up immediately if you think you might enjoy.)
I'm an avid Outlander fan as well. Some of the books are about 500 pages too long, but still worth it! Very anxious for the next book!

Old 03-06-2014, 10:34 AM

29,677 posts, read 34,211,210 times
OP, outside of the actual content of your book, are you giving yourself a good spot to read? Are you in a quiet room or a noisy coffee shop? Are you trying to watch TV or listen to music at the same time? Are you trying to read before bed and get too tired to focus on the story? For me, it's a lot easier to get lost in a book when there are few distractions around.

Last edited by fleetiebelle; 03-06-2014 at 11:56 AM..

Old 03-06-2014, 12:59 PM

995 posts, read 1,111,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ameriscot View Post
I'm an avid Outlander fan as well. Some of the books are about 500 pages too long, but still worth it! Very anxious for the next book!
OP: The Outlander series is action, historical adventure, time-travel...so many things in one. Loved them for 20 yrs now.

June 10th release! Written in My Own Heart's Blood: A Novel (Outlander): Diana Gabaldon: 9780385344432: Amazon.com: Books

What I'm looking forward to even more at this point is the tv series which will be on Starz. The actors playing Claire and Jamie look to be just about right for the parts, and I'm starting to see them in my mind's eye as I am re-reading the series right now in anticipation of the next book. I've lost count of my re-reads.

OP...my husband was a little like you for many years. He just couldnt find anything he liked, never finished anything he started. He loved mystery/crime tv series, so I found a few books that were based on tv shows. He was familiar with settings, the characters, and the books weren't that long.

So...then I sneakily started leaving Michael Connelly, Robert Crais, Harlan Coben books around and he picked them up. Bwahaha...they have movies based on their books. This worked, he reads more than I do at this point. You have to find stories that have a bit of your interests woven in the stories, your increase of reading will follow once you find that.

Last edited by AnneWest; 03-06-2014 at 01:08 PM..

Old 03-06-2014, 01:11 PM

2,218 posts, read 3,443,692 times
The suggestion to go to Goodreads.com Excellent site.

Old 03-07-2014, 03:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnneWest View Post
OP: The Outlander series is action, historical adventure, time-travel...so many things in one. Loved them for 20 yrs now.

June 10th release! Written in My Own Heart's Blood: A Novel (Outlander): Diana Gabaldon: 9780385344432: Amazon.com: Books

What I'm looking forward to even more at this point is the tv series which will be on Starz. The actors playing Claire and Jamie look to be just about right for the parts, and I'm starting to see them in my mind's eye as I am re-reading the series right now in anticipation of the next book. I've lost count of my re-reads.
I can't seem to find out when and where this will be shown outside the US and I live in Scotland. It is/was being filmed about 60 miles away from me as well!

There is a huge Outlander group on Goodreads.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books