U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2014, 03:10 AM

1,764 posts, read 2,513,611 times

Advertisements

Hi feelow book readers...

I have a question for you. I have had this happen quite a bit over the years. I love to read and I almost always highlight or write in a book I know I plan to refer back to later. I've had people ask me if I'm in school or studying for a test. The question has always stumped me because it implies that somehow one is being "forced" to read a book. It seems like almost any response will be viewed as pretentious.

What do you say when people act like you have a third eyeball because you are reading voluntarily?

Kind regards,
MJ
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2014, 03:15 AM

35,104 posts, read 44,149,796 times
Why not tell them "No, I'm not in school" and turn your focus back to your book.
You have answered the question as stated and let them know by turning your focus back to your book that your side of the discussion is over.

There is no requirement to satisfy someone else's curiosity beyond the direct question they have asked and who cares if they perceive your answer as being "pretnetious", is it really that important what anyone let alone a stranger thinks about you or what you do?

Old 03-30-2014, 03:19 AM

13,510 posts, read 15,595,931 times
Pay it no mind. It's just dead men talking.

Old 03-30-2014, 03:24 AM

Thank you both for responding. I don't generally care what others, especially strangers, think of me. However, when a person is in a position in which I have to constantly see them I don't necessarily want to be nasty. For example, off the top of my head this has happened with flight attendants (and I travelled every week for work at that time so I saw some of the same ones regularly), nurses in the doctor's office, restaurant workers (handling my food). I enjoy reading and I obviously don't think anything is *wrong* with it. I just don't understand why it is perceived that nobody reads unless it's mandatory for school, test or job.

Old 03-30-2014, 06:11 AM

8,665 posts, read 4,880,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjd07 View Post

I have a question for you. I have had this happen quite a bit over the years. I love to read and I almost always highlight or write in a book I know I plan to refer back to later. I've had people ask me if I'm in school or studying for a test. The question has always stumped me because it implies that somehow one is being "forced" to read a book. It seems like almost any response will be viewed as pretentious.

What do you say when people act like you have a third eyeball because you are reading voluntarily?

Kind regards,
MJ

If you get an eReader such as a Kindle you can 'highlight' with a light press of your finger and no one even has a clue that you are 'highlighting',lol!

Old 03-30-2014, 07:30 AM

1,833 posts, read 2,946,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjd07 View Post

Kind regards,
MJ
I really do not recall ever having people act that way towards me. I agree with just saying you're not in school and going back to what you are doing.

Old 03-30-2014, 09:09 AM

33 posts, read 41,452 times
I hate when people do that. When I was in college, I would often find a quiet place to sit and read (this was after I had finished my assigned reading for classes). People would always come up to me and ask "Why are you so alone?" They would then insist that I would chat with them because they were concerned that I was lonely. I made small talk because I didn't want to be rude, but in my head I felt like screaming "I'm not lonely at all!". I definitely prefer peace and quiet and, for me, reading is a great way to get away from it all. I try to go with the flow with these people until either they leave or I do. I do with they could understand that not all of us are outgoing and like to spend every second of our life chatting up a storm.

Old 03-30-2014, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by i_love_autumn View Post
If you get an eReader such as a Kindle you can 'highlight' with a light press of your finger and no one even has a clue that you are 'highlighting',lol!
True. I have one, but I'm one of those people that still likes some books in my hands. ;-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasColoradoOhio View Post
I hate when people do that. When I was in college, I would often find a quiet place to sit and read (this was after I had finished my assigned reading for classes). People would always come up to me and ask "Why are you so alone?" They would then insist that I would chat with them because they were concerned that I was lonely. I made small talk because I didn't want to be rude, but in my head I felt like screaming "I'm not lonely at all!". I definitely prefer peace and quiet and, for me, reading is a great way to get away from it all. I try to go with the flow with these people until either they leave or I do. I do with they could understand that not all of us are outgoing and like to spend every second of our life chatting up a storm.
Yes! I have this problem too. I think outgoing people think EVERYONE is "missing" something out there. I used to allow myself to get dragged to parties and the noise, alone, was enough to shatter the ozone. lol I don't mind it sometimes. Like you, I definitely prefer peace and quiet. What you describe is one of the primary reasons that I stopped trying to read, in peace, in public.

Old 03-30-2014, 10:01 AM

5,275 posts, read 7,523,188 times
The next time you're interrupted while reading, suggest this book to the offending party. Lol

Quiet
The Power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop Talking
by Susan Cain

Old 03-30-2014, 10:04 AM

Love it, Tigerlily! I will definitely do that! Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books