Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2014, 09:35 PM

2,087 posts, read 4,285,219 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaoCT View Post
Pet Sematary. The description of Louis carrying Gage through the woods, then the creepy mask appearing in front of him with its tongue rolling out, THEN the Wendigo footsteps he heard scared the crap out of me. The whole book from beginning (the jogger on campus getting hit by the car) to end (Rachel) was easily the most disturbing horror book I've ever read.
For me, it was when he opened his son's coffin and thought that the head was missing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2014, 09:42 PM

8,711 posts, read 11,730,930 times
if anyone wants a really good recent scary book:

the demonologist by andrew pyper

Old 07-03-2014, 09:43 PM

Brian Keene writes zombie novels, I have not been able to finish the only one I've started, and I've tried 3 times. The Rising. It just creeps me out too much.

Old 07-03-2014, 09:54 PM

12,040 posts, read 8,414,540 times
There are a trio of lawyers from Vancouver, BC who write under the name of Michael Slade. They've written a number of good, frightening books and my favorite is Ghoul.

Old 07-04-2014, 01:04 PM

12,040 posts, read 8,414,540 times
I have to amend my post from yesterday, #74. I guess there have been others who have collaborated in the Michael Slade books also including the main author's daughter.

If you like mysteries, the supernatural and police work you'll probably enjoy them.

A prize-winning horror author whose work is subtle, but chilling, is Joyce Carol Oates. She write novels and short stories.

Old 07-06-2014, 01:48 AM

1,458 posts, read 4,132,157 times
Great thread.

Just off of the top of my head, for fiction it's King. I think what is so disturbing about his writing is how he writes about dark sides of human nature. The Stand, Carrie, The Shining, Tommyknockers. Tommyknockers just sets an uneasiness into you as your reading, even when you don't yet get the "wrongness". Then there's many other King books that I didn't feel, like Under the Dome & Needful Things.

OMG, Helter Skelter. I used to read a lot of true crime (and there were some that still make my stomach turn even though I can't recall the title or names, but remember the crimes!), but HS takes the cake. Maury Terry wrote a book about The Son of Sam murders that also scared the **** out of me!

And I grew up on LI, where Amityville Horror wasn't a "story", it was NEWS & it was real.

The Road, The Gulag Archipelago, Flowers in the Attic (and those girls being found in Cleveland just confirmed that it could really happen!), Oryx & Crake, and...The Jungle.

(and many of these are among my favorite books!)

Old 07-07-2014, 07:59 AM

15,891 posts, read 18,321,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leanansidhex View Post
Brian Keene writes zombie novels, I have not been able to finish the only one I've started, and I've tried 3 times. The Rising. It just creeps me out too much.
I like Brian Keene. But, you're right. Some of it is just too creepy.

I'm about 30% through Get Off My Lawn by Perry Kivolowitz and it is a much less creepy zombie apoc book. It leans more to the survival of the good guys. It's almost too technical in places for me because we are dealing with a hubby who is an extreme tech guy while the wife is more of a prepper who also knows her stuff when it comes to self-sustaining roof gardens and weapons. They live in a concrete house which is actually kind of cool. I highly recommend this one because it also has a bit of humor in it to take off the edge of terror.

Old 07-07-2014, 11:04 AM

1,912 posts, read 2,745,517 times
The croning by laird Barron.
The carrion comfort by Dan Simmons.
Intensity by Koontz
And all of the sweetheart novels by Chelsea Cain. A female serial killer who is on par with Hannibal Lecter.

Old 07-07-2014, 02:42 PM

8,665 posts, read 5,845,733 times
OMG, I don't have the guts to read true crime!

Just the newspaper stories of the Manson Murders terrified me,since they were the most detailed graphic stories I had ever read in a newspaper,by including the sick,psycho thoughts Susan Atkins had about Sharon Tate's baby,so no way on earth could I read Helter Skelter.

Do not even want to know how the mind of some psycho sub-human defective works!

Old 07-08-2014, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
I like Brian Keene. But, you're right. Some of it is just too creepy.

I'm about 30% through Get Off My Lawn by Perry Kivolowitz and it is a much less creepy zombie apoc book. It leans more to the survival of the good guys. It's almost too technical in places for me because we are dealing with a hubby who is an extreme tech guy while the wife is more of a prepper who also knows her stuff when it comes to self-sustaining roof gardens and weapons. They live in a concrete house which is actually kind of cool. I highly recommend this one because it also has a bit of humor in it to take off the edge of terror.
Thanks for the recommendation, I'll check the library for Get Off My Lawn, wife/weapons, sounds good to me. Kind of Christopher Moore meets Brian Keene perhaps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books