U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2007, 12:49 PM

25,163 posts, read 49,857,050 times

Advertisements

The stone pillar? Or something close to that title?
What are your opinions on that book? Be honest.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2007, 02:02 PM

18,558 posts, read 22,352,403 times
My wife read it. Said she liked it alright, but she didn't rave about it.

Old 12-10-2007, 05:15 PM

3,943 posts, read 5,776,255 times
Isn't it "The Pillars of the Earth?" Its one of the best books I've ever read. I just finished the sequel, "World Without End", and it is even better. Check out the "5 best books you've ever read" thread; several of us have "Pillars" listed. I don't know why Oprah usually picks older books. I've already read nearly every older book she selects.

Old 12-10-2007, 05:18 PM

25,163 posts, read 49,857,050 times
Jess,
can you give me an idea of what the book is about and what genre it falls under.

Old 12-11-2007, 07:17 AM

500 posts, read 982,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jess5 View Post
. I don't know why Oprah usually picks older books.

It's because Jonathan Franzen, author of the brilliant book, The Corrections, told her to go **** up a rope, basically, when she tried to pick his book. Read here: Franzen just says no to Oprah

For quite a while, she did only books by dead authors, Steinbeck, Buck, etc, but has been doing living authors for a while now, the most surprising of which was the reclusive Cormac McCarthy, who apparently took months of convincing.

Old 12-11-2007, 07:53 PM

artsyguy, I copied this from the amazon site
From Publishers Weekly
With this book, Follett risks all and comes out a clear winner, escaping the narrow genre of suspense thrillers to take credit for a historical novel of gripping readability, authentic atmosphere and detail and memorable characterization. Set in 12th-century England, the narrative concerns the building of a cathedral in the fictional town of Kingsbridge. The ambitions of three men merge, conflict and collide through four decades during which social and political upheaval and the internal politics of the church affect the progress of the cathedral and the fortunes of the protagonists. The insightful portrayals of an idealistic master builder, a pious, dogmatic but compassionate prior and an unscrupulous, ruthless bishop are balanced by those of a trio of independent, resourceful women (one of them quite loathesome) who can stand on their own as memorable characters in any genre. Beginning with a mystery that casts its shadow on ensuing events, the narrative is a seesaw of tension in which circumstances change with shocking but true-to-life unpredictability. Follett's impeccable pacing builds suspense in a balanced narrative that offers action, intrigue, violence and passion as well as the step-by-step description of an edifice rising in slow stages, its progress tied to the vicissitudes of fortune and the permutations of evolving architectural style. Follett's depiction of the precarious balance of power between monarchy and religion in the Middle Ages, and of the effects of social upheavals and the forces of nature (storms, famines) on political events; his ability to convey the fine points of architecture so that the cathedral becomes clearly visualized in the reader's mind; and above all, his portrayals of the enduring human emotions of ambition, greed, bravery, dedication, revenge and love, result in a highly engrossing narrative. Manipulating a complex plot in which the characters interact against a broad canvas of medieval life, Follett has written a novel that entertains, instructs and satisfies on a grand scale. 400,000 first printing; $400,000 ad/promo; Literary Guild main dual selection; author tour.

colorado native, I thought Oprah said that later, Franz said OK, but she wouldn't use his book after the initial "No." I started Corrections, but couldnt finish it, but I may look at it again, since you described it as "brilliant."

Old 12-11-2007, 09:00 PM

133 posts, read 505,126 times
One of the doctors I work with was reading it a few months ago, and she said it was really good so far. I never checked back with her to see how she liked the rest of the book, however.

Old 12-17-2007, 10:48 PM

1,455 posts, read 3,710,573 times
Oprah did Pillars of the Earth?? Great, now my book club will NEVER read it!!

Pillars is my favorite book. Wow, it was so well writen, the charachters are so real and you become quite emotionally involved. The plot is so expansive, spanning 100 years. I think just saying it is set in England during the 100 years war suffices in telling what it is about.

Old 12-18-2007, 04:00 PM

lola, have you read "World Without End?" It is even better. I know what you mean about Oprahs picks; I've read quite a few of her picks that I haven't cared for.
'

Old 12-18-2007, 09:04 PM

1,455 posts, read 3,710,573 times
I'm on the list for World Without End, but my library isn't going to even get it until the new year. I have to read a long book (Great Expectations) for my book club, and plan to read Pillars again after that, hopefully I'll finish Pillars and get right into World. I'm afraid to get my hopes up too much, people are saying great things about the book but I haven't liked any other Follet books...

I've liked the O books I've read (mostly), but I had picked them without knowing they were an O club book. My book club doesn't seem to approve with her picks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books