Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2014, 05:36 AM

4,466 posts, read 1,606,053 times

Advertisements

Hello all! I am looking for some book series that take place in small towns. I am a fan of the mystery/crime novels, but I am open to other types of books. As a reference, I enjoy the J.A. Jance Joanna Brady series, in Bisbee, Arizona, Steve Hamilton's Alex Mcknight series, which takes place in the UP of Michigan. There are others, but I think that will give you an idea of what I am looking for. I would love to find some series, not necessarily mystery/crime, that take place in areas that aren't beat to death in other series. How about some in New England, not the Boston area? Upper midwest? Nevada, Colorado, Idaho? Anywhere will be fine, just kind of interested in those that are off the typical path. Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2014, 08:25 AM

4,306 posts, read 13,471,916 times
Craig Johnson's Longmire series is set in a small Wyoming town and they are much better than the TV series!

Old 05-14-2014, 09:59 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,703,250 times
I enjoyed the Charlie Moon books by James Doss. They are set in Southern Colorado.

Also, Margaret Coel's Wind River Reservation series set in Wyoming.

Others by authors I've read:

Steven Havill has two series set in Southern New Mexico.

Mary Logue has a series set in Wisconsin.

Leslie Meier has one set in Maine as does Sarah Graves.

Christine Kling has one set around the Florida Keys.

My favorite is Louise Penny's series set in/around Three Pines in Canada.

Old 05-14-2014, 11:22 AM

4,380 posts, read 4,450,841 times
Joanne Fluke's "Hannah Swenson" series (mystery) takes place in a small town in Minnesota. The books also include recipes as the main character owns a cookie shop when she's not solving murders. I've found as the series wears on, however, the books tend to be more focused on the recipes than furthering some of the plot points (like the love triangle) and there's an awful lot of murders for such a small town.

Old 05-14-2014, 11:34 AM

22,921 posts, read 28,273,802 times
William Kent Krueger's Cork O'Connor books take place in tiny Aurora, Minnesota. Great series that takes place in northern Minnesota, and he really brings in all the local culture --- folks with Irish, Swedish, and Finnish backgrounds and their Ojibwe neighbors. Start with IRON LAKE.

C.J. Box's Joe Pickett books are fantastic. Pickett is a Wyoming game warden and a very welcome change of pace from your usual "tortured soul" detective. Joe is happily married, loves his kids, and loves his work. But he has trouble paying the bills, has conflicts with the bosses, and can't hit the broadside of a barn with a hand gun. Joe is more Gary Cooper than Clint Eastwood or Bogart. Start with OPEN SEASON.

Old 05-14-2014, 02:39 PM

560 posts, read 849,367 times
Elizabeth George, who is the author of the Inspector Lynley mysteries, now has two books out set on Whidbey Island in Washington State. They are YA - I read the second one and now want to get the first since I enjoyed it so much. Titles are The Edge of Nowhere and The Edge of The Water. She lives on Whidbey so the books have lots of local touches.

Old 05-14-2014, 09:41 PM

3,513 posts, read 6,377,015 times
John Sanford has half a dozen novels that feature Virgil Flowers, an investigator with the Minnesota Bureau of Apprehension and they are set in various small towns around the state.

John Dunning has several books that revolve around an ex- cop turned used book store owner in Denver, CO and are mysteries.

Old 05-16-2014, 06:46 AM

301 posts, read 823,795 times
If you like Steve Hamilton's Alex McKnight series you should really enjoy Joseph Heywood's Woods Cop series.
The Official Site of Author Joseph Heywood-Woods Cop Mysteries Be sure and read them in order.

PJ Parrish has a good Louis Kincaid series where many of the books are set in Northern Michigan (others in Florida). Also read these in order, as the main character's story grows.

For good Alaskan settings you can't go wrong with Dana Stabenow, Sue Henry, or John Straley. All three have written long series set in small villages, with consistent characters.

I strongly recommend the Louise Penny/Inspector Gamache books that take place in Three Pines Canada. Wonderful books!

Peter Robinson's Inspector Banks mysteries are set in a village in England - a modern-day, albeit grittier, Miss Marple. Also wonderful, wonderful books IMHO!

I'll be watching this thread closely as I am always looking for good suggestions along these same lines!

Old 05-16-2014, 06:49 AM

6,489 posts, read 8,814,543 times
Louise Penny's Armand Gamache series takes place in the tiny town of Three Pines near Quebec. It is a great series.

Old 05-16-2014, 05:17 PM

4,466 posts, read 1,606,053 times
Thank you all for the replies! A lot of these series seem like they are great, so I have written them all down and will continue to write any down as they are posted, that way I can have a convenient list for the library/kindle! Seems like Louise Penny is a popular choice, so that may be the first I go with. Keep em comin!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books