Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-04-2014, 09:00 AM

8,665 posts, read 5,826,592 times

Advertisements

I live near the world's largest Amish Community and since moving here in '68 and discovering them,I have always had a fascination for them and have read much fiction and non-fiction books on them.

I first started with books by Beverly Lewis, but I tired of her too obvious grudge against them [for shunning her grandmother] by always portraying some of her Amish characters in a very negative manner.

Here are some of my favorites...
Love Finds You in Charm, Ohio by Annalisa Daughety

Love Finds You in Lancaster County, Pennsylvania by Annalisa Daughety

Plain Perfect(Daughters of the Promise, #1),Plain Pursuit(Daughters of the Promise, #2),Plain Promise (Daughters of the Promise, #3),Plain Paradise(Daughters of the Promise, #4),Plain Proposal(Daughters of the Promise, #5),Plain Peace (A Daughters of the Promise Novel,#6)by Beth Wiseman

Bygones: Sommerfeld Trilogy #1 (Truly Yours Romance Club #10),Beginnings: Sommerfeld Trilogy(#2),Blessings: Sommerfeld Trilogy (#3)by Kim Vogel Sawyer

A Widow's Hope (The Miller Family Series) Never Far from Home (The Miller Family Series),The Way to a Man's Heart (The Miller Family Series), by Mary Ellis

A Gift of Grace: A Novel (Kauffman Amish Bakery Series),A Promise of Hope (Kauffman Amish Bakery),A Place of Peace (Kauffman Amish Bakery),A Life of Joy: A Novel (Kauffman Amish Bakery Series),A Season of Love (Kauffman Amish Bakery Series)by Amy Clipston

Missing (The Secrets of Crittenden County #1)The Search: The Secrets of Crittenden County,(Book Two),Found: The Secrets of Crittenden County,(Book Three)by Shelley Shepard Gray

and nonfiction~House Calls and Hitching Posts: Stories from Dr. Elton Lehman's career among the Amish by Dorcas Hoover
http://www.amazon.com/House-Calls-Hi...=dorcas+hoover

Amish Society by John A. Hostetler Amish Society: John A. Hostetler: 9780801844423: Amazon.com: Books

Plain Secrets: An Outsider among the Amish by Joe Mackall Plain Secrets: An Outsider among the Amish: Joe Mackall: 9780807010655: Amazon.com: Books
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2014, 09:02 AM

5,624 posts, read 6,823,969 times
I like reading the books but i find some just repeat themselves. Amish meets English.

Old 06-04-2014, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohky0815 View Post
I like reading the books but i find some just repeat themselves. Amish meets English.
That is true,but I still love the stories,and since they interact with us so much I'm sure that they really are an accurate reflection.

There are those with less of that in the books by Mary Christner Borntrager [hers feature more Amish meet Mennonite] http://www.amazon.com/Amish-Mary-Chr.../RILAPW59NQO16

I bought several of those while visiting the shops in Amish country.

Last edited by i_love_autumn; 06-04-2014 at 09:28 AM..

Old 06-04-2014, 12:42 PM

8,091 posts, read 15,398,797 times
Just a few weeks ago, I finished Paradise Valley by Dale Cramer.
Got it for free (Kindle) and really enjoyed it. Waiting for Book 2 to show up for free

Old 06-04-2014, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalara View Post
Just a few weeks ago, I finished Paradise Valley by Dale Cramer.
Got it for free (Kindle) and really enjoyed it. Waiting for Book 2 to show up for free
I got the first two books of The Daughters Of Caleb Bender series from my library,and I really enjoyed them,as well.Now I need to read the third book Amazon.com: Though Mountains Fall (The Daughters of Caleb Bender Book #3) eBook: Dale Cramer: Kindle Store

I especially liked the unique setting in Mexico at the time of the Mexican Revolution,and I love learning history through historical fiction.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books