Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2014, 06:37 PM

8,665 posts, read 5,802,059 times

Advertisements

I got Steven Spielberg Presents Taken (2002)http://www.amazon.com/Steven-Spielber on DVD from my library and it is AWESOME! Can't believe it only lasted 1 season! Probably because it was shown on the pathetic Sci-Fi channel[which is why I never saw it then]!

Anyway, I think a book series with a story like that would be incredible,so does anyone know of any?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2014, 07:42 PM

8,091 posts, read 15,366,214 times
The Catteni series by McCaffrey ?? (the 'Freedom' books, I think there 4)
"Kristin Bjornsen lived a normal life, right up until the day the spaceships floated into view above Denver. As human slaves were herded into the maw of a massive vessel, Kristin realized her normal life was over and her fight for freedom was just beginning…"

For flat-out alien invasion books, one of my all-time favorite's is Footfall by Niven & Pournelle. A series in one huge book, LOL.

Another flat-out alien invasion, there's always Battlefield Earth by L. Ron Hubbard ( it's dated, some people hate it, some love it, I think it's much much better than the movie with Travolta)

Old 06-08-2014, 04:53 AM

Hadn't heard of those,thanks!

Do prefer earth-based setting sci-fi,not otherwordly like the Freedom books,though.

Old 06-08-2014, 02:57 PM

Quote:
not otherwordly like the Freedom books
They're romance books too, LOL

Looking over my book lists, most of them that start on Earth don't stay there or they don't have aliens in them at all.

The Holy Ground Trilogy:
The Ragged World
Time, Like an Ever-Rolling Stream
The Bird Shaman
by Judith Moffett
Pretty sure it stays on Earth for the whole series
Ecological - can get preachy
I didn't like the 3rd one

Species Imperative Series:
Survival
Migration
Regeneration
Another one that *starts* on Earth, and comes back
by Julie Czerneda

A thought - did you ever see The 4400 on TV?

Old 06-08-2014, 03:40 PM

That they are also romance is fine. No I haven't seen The 4400,sounds good.
I was an avid fan of the series 'V'.

Thanks again for the titles to check out.

Yeah, I'm most interested in Aliens on Earth or Alien Abduction stuff.

I read Communion: A True Story: Whitley Strieber: 9780061474187: Amazon.com: Books decades ago and it was sooo nice and creepy!

Have you or anyone read I Am Number Four (Lorien Legacies) by Pittacus Lore,and the other books in the series? I think they sound good,and I really enjoyed the movie "I Am Number Four". http://www.amazon.com/Am-Number-Four...am+number+four

Old 06-08-2014, 04:50 PM

You might try going to Literature-Map and entering Whitley Strieber's name. They might give you some authors like him ...

Old 06-09-2014, 03:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalara View Post
You might try going to Literature-Map and entering Whitley Strieber's name. They might give you some authors like him ...
Cool, I get the same thing on Amazon's author page.

Old 06-09-2014, 08:50 AM

1,833 posts, read 3,332,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by i_love_autumn View Post

Have you or anyone read I Am Number Four (Lorien Legacies) by Pittacus Lore,and the other books in the series? I think they sound good,and I really enjoyed the movie "I Am Number Four". Amazon.com: I Am Number Four (Lorien Legacies) eBook: Pittacus Lore: Books

I read the first one and part of the second but skimmed through part of it. I enjoyed "I Am Number Four" but started losing interesting with book 2 and have not gone on to read anymore. I have not seen the movie so I have no idea how it compares.

Old 06-09-2014, 09:14 AM

5,177 posts, read 4,763,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalara View Post

For flat-out alien invasion books, one of my all-time favorite's is Footfall by Niven & Pournelle. A series in one huge book, LOL.
Other than the fact the Jerry was always shamelessly promoting Footfall in every venue in which his wonderful musings were published. Footfall was a wonderful book. Written back in the days when those self contained 800 page novels were the soup de jour, so to speak, it was a highly imaginative and very well crafted tale.

Last edited by chuckmann; 06-09-2014 at 10:30 AM..

Old 06-09-2014, 09:29 AM

5,177 posts, read 4,763,648 times
At the risk of showing my age, and having grown up reading Asimov, Clarke, and Heinlein, I have always enjoyed the works of Poul Anderson, especially his Polesotechnic League stuff. He had at least two that I believe would have been wonderful movies - Hunters of the Sky Cave and A Knight of Ghosts and Shadows.

I was highly disappointed with that travesty rendering of Asimov's Nightfall way back when. And yeah I think that the movie rendering of Heinlein's Starship Troopers left a LOT to be desired.

I think that Hollywood has failed miserably in bringing classic SciFi to the big screen. I blame this on Star Wars. Only the Will Smith I Robot passes muster, IMHO, in terms of classic SciFi.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books