Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which book(s) shall we read?
Suite Francaise - Irene Nemirovsky 3 11.11%
Prodigal Summer - Barbara Kingsolver 4 14.81%
Five Quarters of the Orange - Joanne Harris 4 14.81%
To Kill A Mockingbird - Harper Lee 7 25.93%
The Time Traveler's Wife - Audrey Niffenegger 5 18.52%
Pride and Prejudice - Jane Austen 4 14.81%
The Power Of One - Bryce Courtenay 1 3.70%
Cloud Atlas - David Mitchell 1 3.70%
Cider House Rules - John Irving 5 18.52%
Water For Elephants - Sara Gruen 8 29.63%
The Stone Diaries - Carol Shields 2 7.41%
The Once and Future King - T. H. White 0 0%
Watership Down - Richard Adams 2 7.41%
Jitterbug Perfume - Tom Robbins 1 3.70%
Paddy Clarke Ha Ha Ha - Roddy Doyle 0 0%
The Plot Against America - Philip Roth 2 7.41%
Fall on your Knees - Anne Marie MacDonald 2 7.41%
The Glass Castle - Jeannette Walls 3 11.11%
Amsterdam - Ian McEwan 0 0%
Poisonwood Bible- Barbara Kingsolver 6 22.22%
The Memory Keeper's Daughter - Kim Edwards 4 14.81%
A Prayer for Owen Meany - John Irving 3 11.11%
Thousand Splendid Suns - Khaled Hosseini 9 33.33%
Boom - Voices of the 60s - Tom Brokaw 9 33.33%
The War at Home - Nora Eisenberg 5 18.52%
Kaffir Boy - Mark Mathabane 2 7.41%
Box Children - Sharon Wyse 3 11.11%
The Coldest Winter: America and the Korean War - David Halberstam 1 3.70%
The Innocent - Ian McEwan 6 22.22%
Heart Shaped Box - Joe Hill. 5 18.52%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2008, 06:31 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,273,471 times

Advertisements

I'm going to try to get it at the library, if at all possible. If I have to, I'll buy it, but I'd rather not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2008, 06:35 PM

10,203 posts, read 27,115,902 times
My preference, too!

What do you think of the proposed time-line?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
I'm going to try to get it at the library, if at all possible. If I have to, I'll buy it, but I'd rather not.

Old 01-01-2008, 08:45 PM

3,943 posts, read 6,372,783 times
Default I think thats a good idea otr,

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheroad View Post
Thanks, lilypad, I was just checking the big "A" to see what is available for quick ship, and I will call the local library and see what my chances are of getting one of our selections. Right now, I only own one of our 30.

I'd say with a crowd like this 10 days to 2 weeks perhaps for the read, and probably less than that for a purchase.

So if we finish voting 7 January, let's say we could start talking freely by the end of January.

Make sense?
I think 2 weeks is a good time to read the book too; other people may be very busy and need more time also. Chime in Book Club Members!

Old 01-01-2008, 08:47 PM

Default I don't know anyone who likes to read as much as I do,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bansidhbabe View Post
i'm really happy to start 2008 doing something I really, really love and talking to people who really, really love the same thing. No one else in my family like to read as much as I do, which can be something of a downer. But now I feel I've joined a happy, reading family. I can't wait for the first book of our club to be selected.

Happy New Year to everyone in my reading 'family'
Bansidhbabe. It's a shame too. I would love to have people to trade books with. As it is, I usually give them to the library, or people might want one here and there. I just gave a bag away to a guy, but I don't think I would care to read most of his books.

Old 01-01-2008, 08:55 PM

Default I love reading book reviews too hiknapster.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
I spent my New Year's Day reading NYT book reviews. I can't think of a better way to spend the holiday. Thanks to all and Happy New Year!
Although, I usually read mine on Amazon to get different opinions.

Old 01-01-2008, 10:02 PM

4,725 posts, read 10,133,429 times
Lightbulb Two weeks to read is fine. Acquiring the selection may take longer for some.

I think that many will need at least the full week to get the selected book, especially those using the public library.

I know that several times this past year when I have tried to check a book out at the library I have had to wait until they could have it sent from one of the other libraries within the county system. This can easily take a week.

I believe that anyone serious about being in the Book Club is mentally committed to serious reading and that the 2 weeks to read a single volume is doable. We may have to adjust for longer tomes by adding a few extra days. Any thoughts?

I, too, have rarely found anyone to pass my well worn books onto. I just recently took many to a women's shelter and also have given many to Good Will. They both love to receive children's books, in particular, but will take any. Nice way to pass on books to someone who otherwise may never own one for himself.

Old 01-02-2008, 04:47 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,015,431 times
I too would like to use the library, but competition is fierce here, I might end up on a waiting list.
I guess it depends on what the selection is.
If it is something I already have, I can breeze through it and mail it to someone who needs it.

Old 01-02-2008, 06:41 AM

1,439 posts, read 3,883,623 times
I agree two weeks is long enough to read, but also agree that we need at least one week to get the book. I am also opting for the library but even if you order it from Amazon it could take a week to get it! Can't wait to see what we read! I only voted for one book and it won't let me vote again but you can mark another one for Tom Brokow's book. I would love to read that with a group!

Old 01-02-2008, 06:57 AM

321 posts, read 853,628 times
Default What about freecycle?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jess5 View Post
Bansidhbabe. It's a shame too. I would love to have people to trade books with. As it is, I usually give them to the library, or people might want one here and there. I just gave a bag away to a guy, but I don't think I would care to read most of his books.
Is there a freecycle group in your area, Jess5. I just recently found the one in the Niagara Region and sometimes people give away and want books. The group is for people who want to 'give away' items, there is no money transaction at all. If there is a group perhaps you can give them a try

Old 01-02-2008, 07:09 AM

Thanks. I don't know. Thats a good idea. I don't mind giving books away. I don't want them after I've read them, unless they are one of my favorites. I prefer to keep those in hardback editions. I try to get books at garage sales and my library. I'm trying to catch up on a stack of magazines right now. There is a place,I forget the name, where you leave a book and someone picks it up, but I didn't join because the closest place was in OKC, and I live just west of OKC, so it would be quite a drive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books