Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Have you read a non fiction book cover to cover this year?
No, sounds boring 1 1.82%
Yes, I love non fiction books 54 98.18%
Only travel or how-to books 0 0%
Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2008, 12:05 AM

302 posts, read 922,093 times

Advertisements

I only read fiction books that are thrillers. When I was little, my grandmother completely skipped over Dr. Seuss, and would let me read her Stephen King, Anne Rice, and Dean Koontz's novels once she had finished them, and those are the type of fiction books I prefer to read to this day.

As for non-fiction, well, I read a lot of textbooks, for one. I am always buying books that pertain to my major is some way. I also collect books on ancient Egypt. I'm a bit obsessed with ancient Egyptian culture.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2008, 12:35 AM

1,458 posts, read 4,132,157 times
At library sales, I always come home with culture books...generally children's...Life in Tibet, or What do they Eat in the Ukraine....Mostly I go for asian settings, and I especially like if they are in Chinese, or Korean! (no I do not speak/read either!)

Just recently I bought a copy of Oh the Places You'll Go in what I thought was Chinese. It is Japenese, I'm still happy!

Old 02-04-2008, 09:44 AM

177 posts, read 973,229 times
Lola,

thanks for listing your WWII exampoes. I'll check out "Pocket Full of Seeds".

I, too like seeing history thorugh a human story, and what I like best is seeing how people attempt to manage in such circumstances as war -- not limited to battles, but also experiences such as occupation.

zebbie

Old 02-04-2008, 05:47 PM

3,724 posts, read 9,322,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deja-zebbie View Post
Lola,

thanks for listing your WWII exampoes. I'll check out "Pocket Full of Seeds".

I, too like seeing history thorugh a human story, and what I like best is seeing how people attempt to manage in such circumstances as war -- not limited to battles, but also experiences such as occupation.

zebbie
Here are a couple more:
The Painted Bird by Jerzy Kozinsky[sp?]
Mila 18 and Exodus by Leon Uris

These are fiction, but are based on true events [Uris], and his own experiences in post-war Europe [Kozinsky]. I had a friend some years ago who grew up in Berlin during the war years. His family was Jewish and ran from the Russian pogroms to the west where they thought they'd be safer - just in time to have to hide from the SS etc in Germany! But they did survive, and he was the one who told me about The Painted Bird. He said it was the closest thing he'd ever seen to what life was like then, during and immediately after the war.

Old 02-04-2008, 08:00 PM

1,166 posts, read 3,910,881 times
Blood Done Sign My Name a memoir by Timothy Tyson - growing up in racist Oxford, NC in the 60's and 70's
A LongTime Gone Ismael Beah - Memoirs of a boy soldier in Sierra Leone
The Storyteller's Daughter _ Saira Shah - Memoirs of her trip to Afghanistan as a reporter
The Lipstick Jihad - A Memoir of Growing Up Iranian in America and American in Iran by AZADEH MOAVENI.

Old 03-08-2008, 07:57 AM

539 posts, read 2,102,577 times
Default Memoirs

I really enjoy the memoirs and autobiographies. My most recent reads that I really enjoyed were Angela's Ashes, My Lobotomy and Running with Scissors. I think that sometimes we are caught up in our own lives and what is going on in them that reading about other people's lives is a form of enlightenment. Some of the memoirs and autobiographies I have read have certainly put my life in pespective

If anyone has any suggestions along the lines of memoirs and autobiographies they have enjoyed I'd love to hear them! Especially if they were thought provoking.

Old 02-08-2010, 01:06 PM

50,366 posts, read 63,948,892 times
Just read, Half Broke Horses-A True Life Novel, and liked it a lot. A good book for girls, but my DH liked it too.

Old 02-08-2010, 04:30 PM

513 posts, read 541,321 times
I recently read "We Were Soldiers Once...And Young" by Harold Moore and Joseph Galloway

Old 02-08-2010, 04:44 PM

596 posts, read 889,704 times
Three Cups of Tea by Greg Mortenson - very good book and inspiring
Lincoln and Douglas - boring, most stuff I already knew, very dry (A Team of Rivals is much better)
War Journal, My Five Years in Iraq by Richard Engel - very informative, a little impressed with himself
Infidel by Ayaan Hirsi Ali - incredibly eye-opening
Ship of Ghosts - awesome book, unexpectedly insightful into the plight of POWs and their psychological challenges. I highly recommend this one

Old 02-08-2010, 05:10 PM

7,136 posts, read 12,671,921 times
I read the Ben Carson Story. It was really inspirational.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books