Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2014, 10:37 AM

1,782 posts, read 2,146,752 times

Advertisements

The library is obvious. The others aren't. And, one source not mentioned is the blog, Books on the Knob that comes up with great finds on a daily basis.

Read the rest @ VIDEO: Best Free and Cheap Ebooks - TIME
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2014, 09:18 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,266,665 times
Here ya go, thousands of books in the Public Domain:

Free ebooks - Project Gutenberg

Old 06-28-2014, 11:18 AM

1,782 posts, read 2,146,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
Here ya go, thousands of books in the Public Domain:

Free ebooks - Project Gutenberg
I have some Wizard of Oz books from the late 1930's and decided to check out the rest. Used Gutenberg to download them and now have every single one of them on my hard drive. Great writing. I wonder if J.K.Rowling get her ideas from one or two of them.

Old 06-29-2014, 05:26 AM

8,665 posts, read 5,881,150 times
Freebie Books - Links Only - No Self Promotion III

http://www.amazon.com/forum/kindle/r...x3NJBSGNX181US

dailyfreebooks.com

Old 06-29-2014, 07:11 AM

10,220 posts, read 17,998,798 times
eReaderIQ is my source but it's only for Kindle books. You can use the Advanced Kindle Book Search to find all books under a specified price (or free) and/or in any genre and/or you can specify other criteria too. You can use the Track Kindle Books feature to track the prices of certain books/authors and get alerts when they go on sale. Or you can use the Popular Price Drops feature to simply browse any recent price drops (and you can narrow it down by genre and other criteria).

For example, using the Advanced Kindle Book Search, here is a list of all Kindle freebies, excluding public domain, in fiction: Amazon.com: 0-0 - Literature & Fiction / Kindle eBooks: Kindle Store - you can narrow down the genre further on the left.

Don't trust the quality of free books? How about all fiction for only $2.99: Amazon.com: 299-299 - Literature & Fiction / Kindle eBooks: Kindle Store

Disclaimer: I'm not affiliated with ereaderIQ in any way, it's just the best tool for finding good Kindle book deals in my opinion.

Old 06-29-2014, 11:45 AM

7,319 posts, read 9,415,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
eReaderIQ is my source but it's only for Kindle books. You can use the Advanced Kindle Book Search to find all books under a specified price (or free) and/or in any genre and/or you can specify other criteria too. You can use the Track Kindle Books feature to track the prices of certain books/authors and get alerts when they go on sale. Or you can use the Popular Price Drops feature to simply browse any recent price drops (and you can narrow it down by genre and other criteria).

For example, using the Advanced Kindle Book Search, here is a list of all Kindle freebies, excluding public domain, in fiction: Amazon.com: 0-0 - Literature & Fiction / Kindle eBooks: Kindle Store - you can narrow down the genre further on the left.

Don't trust the quality of free books? How about all fiction for only $2.99: Amazon.com: 299-299 - Literature & Fiction / Kindle eBooks: Kindle Store

Disclaimer: I'm not affiliated with ereaderIQ in any way, it's just the best tool for finding good Kindle book deals in my opinion.
What I have done with my Kindle is type 'free books' into Amazon and up came free books. Lots of classics, lots of which I downloaded and then I stopped from sensory overload. Of course that didn't help with the genre.

So what is different about the eReaderIQ and is it also applicable to the Canadian Amazon? Because we can't download Kindle books from Amazon.com - has to be from Amazon.ca.

Old 06-29-2014, 11:51 AM

10,662 posts, read 9,356,736 times
I bave an App on my IPad called Free Books. Lots of classics in there. The only negative is that you need an internet connection to read. Still a great free app!

Last edited by Sudcaro; 06-29-2014 at 01:02 PM..

Old 06-29-2014, 11:51 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,179,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post

So what is different about the eReaderIQ and is it also applicable to the Canadian Amazon? Because we can't download Kindle books from Amazon.com - has to be from Amazon.ca.
Is that true??? I download from Amazon.com all the time. I wonder if I can do it because my Kindle was bought and registered in the U.S., when I was living there. Interesting...!

Old 06-29-2014, 12:03 PM

850 posts, read 1,031,059 times
Not free but ABE.com is my internet "goto" when looking for paper books, especially older, out of print - but they can be competitive on hot off the press items too. I try to avoid giving money to amazon and walmart.

SUPPORT YOUR LOCAL, INDEPENDENT BOOK STORES! ABE.com is an umbrella site for thousands of independent book sellers, some big, many mom/pop all over the world.

Also, consider kobo.com for ebook readers. I carry my compact Kobo mini almost all the time.

Last edited by jayway; 06-29-2014 at 12:45 PM..

Old 06-29-2014, 12:55 PM

7,319 posts, read 9,415,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
Is that true??? I download from Amazon.com all the time. I wonder if I can do it because my Kindle was bought and registered in the U.S., when I was living there. Interesting...!
Yes, because you're registered in the US. This is what happened to me recently: my sister bought me a Amazon gift certificate for my birthday. I am still not exactly sure how this happened but when I entered the gift code it kept coming up as invalid. Then *all of a sudden* it entered. So then I treated myself to a couple of books on my wishlist that I would probably have left for a later date without the gift certificate because it is not like I need more books to read, and one day when checking my account at Amazon, I see that the books I bought were charged to my credit card and I could find no trace of the gift certificate anywhere.

So, OF COURSE I send an angry email to Amazon (not really but it makes a better story) demanding to know where my gift certificate amount is, and aren't THEY the conniving little creeps, and I get an email back saying they have no idea what I am talking about, yadda, yadda. And then ALL OF A SUDDEN I start thinking about my Amazon.com account and sure enough, there is my gift certificate.

Now how on earth it happened that I suddenly switched? got switched? to Amazon.com as opposed to Amazon.ca I don't know. I don't know if the system searched after rejecting my gift certificate, or did I accidently click on an Amazon.com link after becoming frustrated by the rejection of Amazon.ca at the gift certificate code????

No idea. Anyway, I then emailed Amazon.ca and told them I had figured out where the problem was and that my sister had apparently not realised that there was an Amazon.ca and bought a gift certificate at Amazon.com, and could I somehow switch the amount to Amazon.ca and Amazon.com emailed me back and said that gift certificates bought at Amazon.com had to be used at Amazon.com and it isn't possible for me to buy US Kindle books when I am in Canada. So there.

The main reason I even have the Amazon.com account - well, it's been so long, I don't even remember the reason. I think I got that account before there was an Amazon.ca. I guess I'll order some real books but it feels like a waste due to the fact that with the exchange rate, I think it is more expensive for most books, even though it isn't my actual cash. For the moment I'm doing nothing about it. I haven't told my sister the mistake she made either because I don't want her to feel bad but I will have to warn her eventually that Amazon.com and Amazon.ca are two different entities so that she doesn't gift other people the wrong way.

So I don't actually know, Dawnie, how it works for you. Maybe you didn't change your mailing address at Amazon and therefore you can still download books from there?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books