Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2007, 07:04 AM

7,138 posts, read 14,635,365 times

Advertisements

I have read and been helped by:

Wayne Dyer
Ram Dass
Thich Nat Hahn
Judith Orloff, M.D.
Christiane Northrup, M.D.
Mark Harmon, M.D.
Jon Kabbat-Zinn
Julia Cameron
Rabbi Boteach
Rabbi Telushkin
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2007, 12:42 PM

1,300 posts, read 2,613,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
Have you ever read, and learned things, from any "self-help" book? I have and don't mind at all saying it. One time, I was told by a friend to get
Dr. David Viscott's book called, Risking. Dr. Viscott was a phyciatrist in LA who wrote some excellent books. When I first started reading the book Risking, it hit "to close to home" in my feelings about life and I wanted to throw it away. But, I kept on reading it and boy did I learn a lot of things about myself and how to take "risks" in life. Dr. Laura Schlissinger has some very good books also. I figured, "what the heck, if I can improve me by reading a good "self-help" book.....why not". Some people think Dr. Laura is to "harsh".....not me. She tells people the truth, not necessarily what they want to hear. I am a BIG Dr. Laura fan!!!!!!!
I'm also a firm believer in seeing a Physiologist, if needed of course. Some problems in life just can not helped by yourself, family or friends. Marriage and Family Counselors can also be big helps with todays problems.

I like George Carlin's philosophy on "self-help". If I'm doing it myself, I don't NEED help. I'm doing it all by myself.

Last edited by YapCity; 02-18-2007 at 01:21 PM..

Old 02-18-2007, 09:58 PM

7,138 posts, read 14,635,365 times
Didn't he want Jesus to bring the pork chops? Can't he get his own chops??

Old 08-03-2010, 08:01 AM

377 posts, read 877,700 times
I've read "Be your own shrink" by Dr. Kevin Leman a few years ago and found this book to be one of the best self-help books I've read. The "birth order" subject was a revelation and helped me better understand myself and others.
I've read several more of his books since and highly recommend him as a marriage/parenting/people/supervising/etc. self-help author.

Old 08-09-2010, 01:21 AM

10,481 posts, read 25,279,380 times
I like self-help books. Also New Age type. Spiritual not religious. I like reading all kinds of things, and sometimes I need some help.
Some of my favorite authors:
Dr. John McDougall
Caldwell B. Esselstyn, Jr.
Dr. Dean Ornish
Rip Esselstyn
Rhonda Byrne
Wayne Dyer
And many more I can't think of right now, since my library is all downstairs.

Old 08-09-2010, 11:59 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,941,000 times
Nope. But I'm thinking of writing one:

"How to improve your love of reading by throwing away all self-help books and reading something good".

-------------------

As for the husband/wife self help books, here is all you need to know:

Every time you walk past one another, reach out and touch as you go by. Never come within arm's length of each other without touching. And never go to sleep angry---fix it first.

Last edited by jtur88; 08-10-2010 at 12:08 AM..

Old 08-10-2010, 11:03 PM

6 posts, read 7,613 times
I read at least one self help book a year. I believe that there is always room for improvement. Sometimes reading them helps me to realize that I'm doing better than I thought and they always remind me to keep diligent in the pursuit of things that are important to me. I have two sons and am a single mother, I've found Dr James Dobson's books on parenting to be very helpful. Recently Sandra Allgerier book, Personal Credibility Factor, totally opened my eyes on my behavior and accepting the poor behavior of those around me. I encourage everyone to read it. I think you'll find a pearl that will make you a richer person inside it.

Old 08-11-2010, 10:47 PM

2,209 posts, read 4,223,519 times
Hell to the no.

Old 08-12-2010, 09:05 PM

181 posts, read 124,406 times
Quote:
I'm also a firm believer in seeing a Physiologist, if needed of course. Some problems in life just can not helped by yourself, family or friends. Marriage and Family Counselors can also be big helps with todays problems.
I totally agree with you, I love self help books it gets me to understand myself a lot but you are so right on when you said that some problems can not be fixed on its own.

Old 08-12-2010, 09:56 PM

2,209 posts, read 4,223,519 times
Quote:
Have you ever read, and learned things, from any "self-help" book? I have and don't mind at all saying it. One time, I was told by a friend to get
Dr. David Viscott's book called, Risking. Dr. Viscott was a phyciatrist in LA who wrote some excellent books. When I first started reading the book Risking, it hit "to close to home" in my feelings about life and I wanted to throw it away. But, I kept on reading it and boy did I learn a lot of things about myself and how to take "risks" in life. Dr. Laura Schlissinger has some very good books also. I figured, "what the heck, if I can improve me by reading a good "self-help" book.....why not". Some people think Dr. Laura is to "harsh".....not me. She tells people the truth, not necessarily what they want to hear. I am a BIG Dr. Laura fan!!!!!!!
WHAT? You go to see a Physiologist for.... what exactly? oh boy, might want to look up that definition.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books